“Family half term May 2013”
other travellers have booked this property
Riad Laksiba -  Guest house, Hotel, Rooms or Exclusive Use, Kasbah, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco
Riad Laksiba - Exclusive Use from £125 Night Riad Laksiba  - Rooms from £25 Person
Check Availability
The Twin Room Two, First Floor
Riad Laksiba - Open-Air Courtyard
Bathroom In Twin Room Two, First Floor
Entrance
Dont just be a Tourist. Go Native, Experience Marrakech.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Riad -
5 Bedrooms, 5 Bathrooms, Sleeps 10
Marrakech, Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 228 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
varese
“bad choice”
Reviewed 24 June 2013 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful

I think that this Riad is a bad choice if you have interest in comfort and also it's not very near to the famous place Jemaa el Fna (20 minutes walking).
The streets that you need to walk to arrive at the Riad are dirty and smelly. the inner courtyard is nice but very small, the riad at a first sight seems nice and traditional but after a while you understand that is somehow a little fake (you'll find a statue of Buddha or picture of some Malaysian tigers). Also there a lot of dust everywhere and the rooftop of the building (where you'l find the shisha and some chaiselounge) is dirty.
The rooms are small, dirty, with a lot of dust and in some of dust you'll find a strong stench of horse [--]. You'll have no windows except the one that look on the inner courtyard (this means or no privacy at all or no lights and fresh air).
The only good aspects are the kindness of the people that work there and the breakfast that is really very good.

1 Jul 2013
Thank you for your observations based on staying in a property within the Median Walls of Marrakech. It is true; Marrakech and indeed Morocco is an "emerging country" and the contrast between Marrakech and European destinations are very alien in many ways. Equally so are the cultures and morals. We will forbid you to bring any "acquaintances" back day or night. It is illegal to entertain "locals" in a Riad. Riad Laksiba is designed for family holidays and is staffed 24/7. Those who want to stay, on these terms, are welcome to submit to the Bookings process. If, however, you are looking for a Riad or Appartment that is not supervised then Riad Laksiba is possibly not suitable for you. Thus I apologise for my staff not allowing you to entertain your request for Prostitutes within 2 hours of your arrival even though you went to lengths to demonstrate that you had paid for "Exclusive Use" and therefore had some right to do what ever you want. I am also sorry that this set the tone for the 2 nights that you were with us but wholly for my staff's sake, who felt compromised by these requests. However, I am thankful for your observations and I sincerely hope that other travellers, with similar inclinations, will read your review and my response and elect to book elsewhere. The Malaysian Tiger comment summed up perfectly the level of research you and your group of young Italian Males had made before you arrived. The picture in question is the "Pelt Merchant of Cairo" by Jean-Leon Gerome (France-1890) painted at the height of the Orientalist Movement; a movement which predominately depicted scenes of North Africa. The French influence in Morocco is significant, for obvious reasons. Brian "the Buddha" is mine.... purchased in Guilez (the new town of Marrakech - where I believe you rented an apartment for your groups nocturnal activities), again a reflection of Riad Laksiba being a home and not a stage-set for Ali Barber tourism. Is it the original painting? No. Is it "fake" to your expectations? Maybe so.... as it would appear; you expected Riads to have external windows, the streets and smells inside the Medina to be to some European standard and Exclusive Use (by definition) should mean that illegal activities should be tolerated if demanded. "When in Rome..... young men..... when in Rome". I hope, some day, you will return to Marrakech, maybe with wife's and girlfriends, and embrace Marrakech for its culture, its moral values and appreciate that emerging countries day-to-day lives still appear somewhat Biblical by comparison. Under these circumstances you will be welcomed back. Simon. Owner. Riad Laksiba
Bindy S
Exeter
“Family half term May 2013”
Reviewed 15 June 2013 for a stay in May 2013

Oh - what an amazing welcome and attention to detail. All the staff so lovely and so happy to be invaded by tortoise and football loving children! My boys have left with a new pack of local street football pals and they and the girls, with many happy memories. Hamid and Adel have a special place in our memories. Simon, the owner had already answered lots of queries by email before we arrived in Morocco so the positive sense of expectation and adventure we had was just compounded by our week with Hamid, Adel and the tortoises!
The position of Laksiba in the medina is ideal for exploring both parts of Marrakech day and evening but far enough from the square to give us the excuse for the wacky horn honking Mercedes taxi rides home.
May was a perfect time to visit with children as it wasn't too hot and the souks and historical sights not too full of tourists. The boys (and their football) got lots of attention and young men and boys ready to have a kick around and laugh amongst the souks and parks. The long haired girls - a blonde 6 year old and a 14 year old got positive attention for other reasons. We all got to practise our French and everyone was very friendly and ready to chat. We managed to avoid the souk hassles (with tips from Laksiba staff) as well as honing not only our bargaining skills but also our 'not being ripped off' taxi fare negotiating! The 6 year old did end up with a snake around her neck and the twin boys on the shoulders of an acrobatic team one evening in the square but all was good humoured and fun.
The advice from the Riad and as we say, attention to detail, made our stay lovely and helped us planning our days. A visit to the Henna Café is worth a trip( we've added photos below) as was the Oasiria water park a short free minibus ride out of Marrakech- a wonderful relaxing but fun day out for adults and children alike.
We'd have not doubts about recommending Laksiba as a place to stay. It is obvious it's ability to adapt to the needs and preferences of it's occupants, make it able to offer a perfect service to those on a family holiday, a yoga retreat, a romantic weekend away or a action packed hen group holiday...and I've not even mentioned the amazing breakfast yet!
We can only really end by saying that we'd back up what others have said about their stay. Sounds like everyone else has also enjoyed the warm welcome and lovely friendly service we experienced. I really hope we get a chance to return.

Travelling group: Family
1 Jul 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write a Review. I am delighted that you and your family gains so much and embraced so much of what Marrakech and our local area has to offer. I am equally delighted that your have written your Review, as a family, demonstrating the values that younger members have benefited from during your stay. Experiencing life inside an old house inside even older Medina walls, can be very inspiring and rewarding. It is an alien environment to the structure we come from with it's unique quirks and habits. An experience which, to me, holds lasting memories. The simple interaction of playing soccer in the street with the local children perfectly describes such pleasure and a real feeling that you have indeed embraced the very heart of Marrakech culture and welcoming spirit. We look forward to your return trips and hope to add to your box of memories. Very best regards. Simon. Riad Laksiba.
PaddyBear...
Akosombo, Ghana
“Tortoise alert!”
Reviewed 14 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

I stayed at Riad Laksiba in the Medina with three friends in June 2013 during a holiday visit to Marrakech. At £35 per night, I thought it was good value. Our rooms were all fairly spacious, with aircon and nice bathrooms (hot showers). Wifi is available for free and the connection speed is very fast. The breakfast, included in the price, was very tasty and started from about 8.30am onwards with coffee, croissants, freshly squeezed orange juice, yoghurt, eggs and some delicious potato pancakes. Complimentary mint tea and shisha were both excellent. We had one evening meal (MAD 200 per head) at the riad - the tagine dishes were amazing. The staff's recommendations as to where to eat and what sites to visit in Marrakech were all spot on and they were very helpful when we had questions. The roof terrace is a great place to relax and catch some rays ... and if you're lucky, the two tortoises will be awake and roaming, we were pretty surprised when they appeared! The atmosphere at the riad is very relaxing overall and the splash pool on the ground floor is a great way to soothe your aching feet after a day's meandering around the souks. Location is 5 mins taxi drive from the airport and about a 15-20 minute walk to Djemaa El Fna square. The locals were all friendly and we didn't get much hassle. Highly recommend you check out the crazy furniture for sale at the Complex D'Artisanat and don't miss out on the nous-nous coffee! When heading to the airport, I found it cheaper to get a taxi at the roadside by myself rather than booking one via the riad, but that depends on the size of your group. Be aware that the room doors do not lock (I don't know if this is the case at other riads), so it may be advisable to not bring valuable items - we didn't have any issues at all with security during our stay. Overall, a great experience thanks to the wonderful staff and I would definitely recommend to friends and family - shukran to everyone at Riad Laksiba!

15 Jun 2013
Thanks for your Review. I am pleased that the Tortoises were active during your times on the sun terrace. Riad Laksiba (def: Little home in the Kasbah) has just 5 Bedrooms and is a privately owned home. The Staff, Adil, Abdelhamid, Nadia and Raja are all long-term and dedicated to ensuring that your adventures in Marrakech meet expectation. A Riad is a house with an internal courtyard. There are no external windows and therefore all rooms need to be aired when cleaned on a daily basis. The windows facing the internal courtyard and hand carved doors are opened up as Nadia and Raja go from room to room to clean, make beds and freshen up whilst Guests tire themselves out investigating the plethora exotic elements that make up this unusual culture. I agree with you...... if we were a hotel with a host of indistinguishable guests and a reception with a regularly changing staff then room security would be an issue that I would want to address...... BUT we are not. In all the time we have been open, not one item has ever gone astray. Although I regularly have to post "Lost Property" back to Guests after they have departed. Thanks for the Review and I am impressed with the format in which you write. You have highlighted the prominent factors of the booking process, cost, value for money, personal observations. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for overall recommending Riad Laksiba to others via your Review. Much appreciated. Simon. Riad Laksiba.
Lows E
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“The holiday experience ever!”
Reviewed 22 May 2013 for a stay in March 2013

We were greated at the airport by a lovely mini bus driver who took us to the Riad. Upon arriving at the gates of the medina we were greated by Hamid and Mohamed who led us to the Riad which is hidden away in the middle of where all the locals live. We were advised prior to arriving not to judge a book by its cover, and this was definately the case. The front door does nothing to capture what we would find inside the Riad - a morrocan paradise! On our first evening we were given some mint tea which I left Marakesh being addicted to! We were cooked a meal on the first night and served wine. The nine of us felt like princesses.

Being nine british girls in Marakesh we had some apprension when exploring the city the following day but we were given some great advice which let us relax and enjoy the amazing culture and surroundings. Exploring the back streets and the food is a must have.

As we were on a hen do, we were keen to have one evening out at Pacha Nightclub. Not only did Hamid and Mohamed arrange everything for us, but they accompanied us on the evening, put up with our tipsy behaviour and danced the night away.

My most memorable moment was when myself and three of the girls decided to experience the marakesh square at night and experience the famous market food. Upon returning to the Riad we found that most of the party had gone to bed. Hamid and Mohamed were keen to hear all about our adventure and could see that we were craving some home comforts. They made us mint tea, gave us a selection of movies to watch, projected a move on the wall for us and joined us in munching our way through sweets and laughing our heads off to the funny movie we chose.

I have to say that my experience in the Riad was one of my favourite ever. Customer service was the best I've ever experienced and nothing was too much for the boys. Everything was arranged for us from getting us a can of coke, to arranging taxi's, cooking amazing food, the lovely ladies in the Riad cleaned and cooked for us every day, and helped us in experiencing th real Marrakesh.

Highly recommended and can't wait to return :) Thank you xx

15 Jun 2013
"Hamid dancing the night away". I should have been there..... Abdelhamid "Hamid" and dancing has to be seen to be experienced! Both Hamid and Adil will be delighted to get a mention on TripAdvisor, as will Nadia and Raja for the hard work they do. We seem to go through purges of Hen Parties and time after time we hear of success. Specific groups and Laksiba seem to be a great combination. Yoga Groups, Hen Parties, Climbing Groups, Fossil Collectors, Marathon Runners, Ambassadors, Musicians, Film Crews, Actors and Writers alike descend on Laksiba; all with different aspirations but all getting the same level of service. A place that caters for individuals to remain anonymous and be themselves. A group of 9 Female travellers has every right to be nervous about visiting an alien culture to their own; the speed that they loose those inhibitions and relax into being themselves and finding the "fun factor" is a true reflection of genuinely caring and dedicated staff, ensuring that any concerns who may arrive with are quickly vanquished. Well done you guys and well done Staff. We look forward to arranging further adventures to Marrakech. Best regards. Simon. Riad Laksiba.
helzabell...
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Fab Place, Fab People”
Reviewed 22 May 2013 for a stay in March 2013
person found this review helpful

I arranged this for my hen party in March 2013. We hired out the whole of the Riad.There were 9 excited but slightly worried girls going to a country which was unlike anywhere we'd been before. Simon the owner couldnt have been more helpful, answering quite a few of my concerns via email before we went and making me feel at complete ease. He told us about the wonderful culture, the food, places we could visit - he basically give us all the options possible whilst taking into account what we had expected from a hen party. Our transport was all sorted before we got there, we had a chauffer pick us up from the airport and take us to the Riad where we were greeted by Mohammed & Hamid - 2 of the friendliest people you will meet. The Riad itself is out of this world, the detail, the decor, even small things down to the doors were so beautiful. if you are ever travelling to marrakech DO NOT stay in a hotel, the riads are stunning & i couldnt recommend a more beautiful one than Riad Laksiba. The staff are brilliant, Nadia & Raja cooked our breakfast every morning and we ate in on our first night, the food we had was delicious! We got shown around the old town briefly and then made our way every day into the medina (just an easy 20mins walk away). Riad Laskiba is in the perfect place, we also took a day trip to Kasbah Ourika retreat via taxi then camel ride(scary for some-maybe think twice before doing this) ha! And in the evening we partyed until the early hours in Pasha night club (short taxi ride away). We finished our last evening in a fancy resturant in the new town - all arranged by Simon and the other staff perfectly. If you want to experience a bit of morrocan culture then this riad is perfect and beautful and CHEAP! But our holiday wouldnt have been so great if it wasnt for the staff, mohammed & hamid were fantastic hosts and catered to our every need. I am definetly planning a trip back next year, its perfect if your travelling in a big group, in couples or on your own. i really dont think you'd find a better place.Thank you for making my hen party perfect!
Helen Williams
South Wales, UK

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The staff/The decor/The helpfulness before we booked/stayed
Liked least: The pool wasnt in use in March
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing