All reviewsgreat locationthe main squareprivate bathroombudget hotelfree breakfastroof terracecentral locationjemaa elorange juicesingle roomboiled eggsair conditioningthe ground floornice breakfastheart of marrakechatlas mountainswifi
Reviewed 13 May 2017

I have stayed at Hotel Cecil a number of times in the past but it must be about four years since my last visit. Nothing much has changed. No frills, just the basics of a clean secure base for those that want to spend most of their day out and about. The rooms are small, the beds are comfortable.
One change I did notice was that breakfast, served on the roof terrace, is no longer brought to you on a tray but is a self service system now. Not a problem and probably best for guests and hotel. The choice is still the same simple but adequate fare: tea; coffee; milk; freshly squeezed orange juice; selection of bread; simple breakfast pastry; choice of preserves; boiled egg; cheese triangle. The seating area did also seem to have been improved with ample shade if required.
This visit I stayed in room 22, on the ground floor. This has the advantage of having windows on both sides of the room allowing for greater air flow but unfortunately has two major disadvantages: 1) almost everyone has to walk directly past the door and window of that room reducing privacy and increasing noise; 2) the other window is on to the narrow road that the hotel is on. This is a busy thoroughfare for people going to other hotels beyond or taking a shortcut to other routes. It also seems to be a great spot for everyone to stop and talk loudly on their phones and/or have a cigarette. The noise from Djma el Fnaa square can be heard but it is far enough away for me to be able to block it out.
Wifi and phone signals are available but really only in the central open part or on the roof. This may depend slightly on the signal reception of your own equipment too.
I was originally booked to stay for 2 nights. Whilst I was there I changed my plans last minute and stayed for a 3rd night. I could have changed room, but I decided that it just was not worth the effort for me at that stage. I had already booked to stay at a Dar in another part of the Medina for my final 2 nights in Marrakech.

Would I stay there again? Yes as it is a convenient location for my needs, but I would always compare it for value against other properties in the area that suit my needs.
Would I recommend it to others? Yes - provided they understand that it really is a no frills establishment ( and would advise they request not to have rm 22).

Room Tip: Room 22 noisy and less privacy than most others.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank boringFS
Reviewed 10 May 2017

Superb location, close to Jemaa el Fna square. Staff were helpful and friendly, amazing rooftop terrace with okay breakfast. Unfortunately I had poor wifi in my room, bed had bed bugs and it was a little noisy at night.

Room Tip: Rooms on bottom floor near the walkway streets are loud and noisy at night. Every night.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank GoldCanary
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Cecil hotel is located on a narrow street (cars can not travel there) close to the Jemaa el Fna square.
It consists of two riads bonded together, forming thus a place where one can feel the traditional Moroccan atmosphere.
The staff is very helpful.
Breakfast on the terrace looking to the Jemaa el-Fna square, is a wonderful time. The same is the sunset, with the minaret of the Koutoubia mosque silhouetted on the sky.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing the street
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Lovely little riad, centred around a tall flowering tree, in a traditional style. Traditional decor, I had an ensuite which was great - included a simple breakfast on the terrace so great value.
The only things to mention - google maps gives a very complex way of finding the place - I got quite lost and although locals were friendly and helped, it was an annoyance when I finally got there and realised it was literally 20 steps from the main door to the jemaa el-fna. Perhaps a sign there would help, or contact google?!
Also, due to this proximity and the fact all the rooms face one another it is noisy - you can hear al the neighbours and constant drumming etc. I didn't mind this, but if you're someone that will, perhaps choose somewhere else :)

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Good things:
• Very near to the market, Jemma el Fna, Koutoubia Mosque, Medina, Musee de Marrakech, Museum Photography, Palais El Badii and Bahia Palace.
• We got room for 4 (even tho we actually booked for 2). The beds & room are nice and warm.
• Breakfast was good with yummiest Jus D'Orange and Bread.
• Rooftop with great view!

Cons:
• Very limited hot water (1 min only at that time).
• Limited Hair dryer (tips: if you want the hair dryer, better ask for it in the morning/afternoon).

Others/Tips based on my own experience:
A bit hard to find the location especially at night and your first time – because Google Maps shows different way to get there. Just ask good local guy and don't rely on Google Maps only. The riad is near Le Grand balcon cafe du Glacier btw.

Overall: if you're looking for a hotel nearby the touristy spots, this is an excellent choice :)

Stayed: March 2017