All reviews painted black tourist restaurant mohammad guide volubilis dar commission porter alley desert luggage
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We spent 3 nights at Dar Rbab, and due to my gluten free diet, felt it wise to eat breakfast and dinner here, especially as I was particular about not only eating traditional Moroccan cuisine, but not having to worry about dietary difficulties.
There is a very relaxed feel about this Riad, and a freedom to move around which was required at this stage of our trip in Morocco, and any individual requests about anything, were well catered for.
Dar Rbab became our base; Mark, our host, arranged a guide (although the day we set off with her was a public holiday so many places had been closed or shut down early), to orientate us with the medina, its culture and history.
A real treat for me was the afternoon of cooking with Mohammad and Aisha. Firstly, after our typical leisurely breakfast, Mark, Mohammad (the house manager), my husband and I set off to the local souk to purchase the goodies required for the dinner to be prepared. This has been one of the absolute highlights of my trip to Morocco! The hustling and bustling of everyday life, the haggling, tantalising scents of coriander and mint fill the air as we wind our way around the labyrinth of streets purchasing ingredients which are stored 'at home' until later in the day.
My lesson begins with Farah and Mohammad as we prepare the traditional Fes salads and our piece de resistance 'Atlas Chicken Tagine'. I have learnt how to stuff beautiful, juicy dates with fried, peeled almonds (there is an art to peeling these), figs that have been reduced to beautiful rich syrup containing cinnamon and sugar, after caramelising onions (that I have to admit Aisha peeled and diced) before assembling the whole dish, which looked and tasted stunning. Being an ESL teacher, I used this time to avail Mohammad of english lessons as he was very eager to improve his repertoire of vocabulary, which was a complementary exchange of skills sets!
We thoroughly enjoyed the time spent at Dar Rbab.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room, the downstairs room is adjacent to the living area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The room was comfortable and the aircon was a lifesaver for us during August, the hottest month of the year! Mohammad was always there to assist us with anything and everything during our stay. He also arranged a guide, Abdul, to bring us around the medina. Abdul was really engaging and protective of us as we walked around the medina. The breakfast was always good, and we had a chance to have lunch at a nearby restaurant which served really tasty dishes as well.

Room Tip: If you have bulky baggage you should probably choose the room on the ground floor if possible. Lugging the baggage up and down the stairs is a chore!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

7 friends, last stage of our Morocco's tour.
This riad is great, we really enjoy the hours here, especially thanks to the advices of Mohamed, the housekeeper, who has been always at our disposal.
The position is good, all the highlights of the Medina are easily reachable by walking.
The only negative things are the bathrooms: really simple and severe, in contrast with the elegance of the rest of the riad. The breakfast is traditional but a little scanty.
Before the arrival we have exchanged some emails with the owner, Mark, who has been really thoughtful to answer at all our questions, not only about the riad but also about our Morocco's life.
I really suggest to book a guide for visit the Medina, it is very easy to get lost.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in Dar Rbab and it felt immediately like home. Mohammed was really friendly and helped us with a guide. The breakfast made by Aisha was fine and the room is really authentic. It were our first days in Morocco and we will never forget them.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Booked at Riad Dar Rbab on short notice after original place cancelled- what a blessing in disguise!

The room was beautiful, we had the downstairs room which even though it was 40 degrees outside it was cool all day and night long.

The bed was extremely comfortable - proper spring mattress!

The breakfast was traditional and delicious, they even catered for my girlfriend who can't eat wheat.

Mohammed who looks after the house was the perfect host. We were greeted with mint tea, he escorted me to an ATM and even came with us to the shopping centre.

If I could give 10 out of 5 I would!

• Stayed: July 2013