“Great riad”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
the Moroccan sitting room
Dining Room
mezzanine with single in the sitting room
blue bedroom
blue bedroom
the red bedroom
bathrooms
The Bedroom 2
terrace with view to the Borj Sud ( southern fortress)
The Bedroom 2
the terrace with mountain view
terrace at night
The Bedroom 3
the medina seen from the terrace
detail
The Bedroom 3
patio door to the dining room
The Bedroom 3
view of the medina with house
Bathroom
Bathroom
2nd Bathroom
2nd Bathroom
Terrace
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
AnEla1985
“Great riad”
Reviewed 22 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

Beautifull house, spacious and had everything you need. The staff is helpfull and friendly and Dominique can help you out with everything.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Rob v
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Very nice house & overview on the medina”
Reviewed 26 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

We stayed in Dar Daheb for 3 days and were super happy with such a big house. The location is perfect; it is reachable by taxi and it takes a 5 minute walk to reach the medina. We were picked up at the airport and the rest also went smoothly: we met someone who would guide us the next day and we were picked up at the street by Rachid, he and his wife Amina manage the house. The don't speak English though, only French and Arabic.

The house is very nice, the overview on the terrace is even nicer. We loved the 'synchronized' prayers that came out of the mosques 5 times a day, while standing on the terrace. Some negative points on the house though: the internet is kind of slow (adsl, but i guess that's inherent in the location), the matrasses are a bit hard to sleep on and we didn't have warm water for one day because the gas bottle was empty. Luckily, this was solved the next day by Amina. Also, the house could only be reached by walking through some small passages; it was kind of funny that one kid wanted to guide us to our own house (with only 40 meters to go) and became mad when we didn't give him money for that.

Regarding the Medina, prepare yourself that this will happen on a regular basis; people wanting to guide you to your 'destination' and expecting money for that. Some people turned out to be very persistent (and annoying) with that, even if we clearly said 'non, merci!'. But you will get used to it. In one instance it was even convenient, when the waiter of a restaurant guided me (i was on my own) back to Dar Daheb. You will know the way after a while, but some alleys just don't feel save when it's dark.

Apart from that, the Medina (with thousands and thousands of little shops) is great, we never experienced something like that. A tip: i heard that you will only get a good bargain when you are accompanied by a local (guide). On our own, we couldn't get the price that we wanted (for a lamp in our case), they would only drop for like 10%. By the way, a guide for the first or second day is surely recommendable! Another tip: watch out when eating in Ville Nouvelle, we ate in some general 'snackbar' (salad, pizza and a hamburger), but my friend got sick the next day. It could be a unrelated, but the food there also didn't taste good at all. Eating in the Medina was much better, i loved the tajine dish that we got.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The size and terrace of the house
Liked least: The internet connection
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Management Response
26 May 2016
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Dar Daheb.
The wifi is about the best you can get in Fez. The one we have is run by Maroc Telecom, the main phone company.
Sorry about the gas.
Just a comment on prices in the medina: in fact you get much better prices when you go on your own because guides take 25 to 50% of any sale and you are the one paying for it. As shop keepers have to pay such high commssions they are reluctant to lower prices.
Jillz121
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Jill's view on Dar Deheb”
Reviewed 29 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015

My two friends and I shared this Riad at the beginning of April and had a lovely holiday in Fez
Staying in Dar Deheb truly gives you a taste of life in Fez within one of its traditional buildings. The properly is light and airy, cleverly constructed and lovingly restored with overall good facilities. Care and attention has been given to making this a really lovely place to stay.

I can appreciate that it may not feel too warm if you turn up earlier in the season as mentioned in other reviews but for us it was suitably warm and we had to turn the heating off on our first night and kept it off thereafter. I was impressed to see there was heating if I'm honest and there was a plentiful supply of hot water at all times.
If there were a little more attention to small maintenance details in the kitchen and downstairs bathroom I would have perhaps given this a higher rating. Neither of a major importance as such but when everything else was so good a couple of things stood out for me.
The property was clean, and bug free. Which I very much appreciated.
The building itself is delightful and a real privilege to get a chance to admire and enjoy the craftsmanship that has been put into the fabric of the Riad. i can only imagine the restoration work put into the property, it would have been of interest to see before and after pictures.

It is spacious and comfortable, and the beds whilst not the height of luxury were a perfectly ok sleep. The bedrooms are well furnished with adequate storage for clothes although I really missed having a bedside drawer. I loved the different coloured glass in some of the windows and the ornate carving in the doors. The bedrooms were tasteful and I believe typically moroccan.
The bedroom windows that open out into the central atrium have ornate railings which make them not only look lovely but very child safe.
Be warned that the upstairs bathroom shower curtain doesn't do a great job of keeping the water in the shower tray and our floor was very wet daily. But it soon dries and doesn't really pose a problem for long.
We didn't use the downstairs shower as it made more sense to shower and get dressed on the same level as the bedrooms
But a blessing having a toilet downstairs and not having to climb the stairs the whole time.

I would advise anyone with mobility issues that the stairs throughout are extremely deep and of differing heights. Likewise The streets outside are narrow, cobbled and uneven, which can be quite slippery when wet. if this would be an issue for you then perhaps this style of property is not the soundest choice.
I would have reservations about this being a good / safe environment for very young children.
This is based on the stairs alone. That said any eight year old would be thrilled with the bed in the tv room where they climb a ladder into their lofty bed, and adds to the uniqueness of this property.l
It really has the cool factor, even I wanted to sleep there!
I can imagine it being a fantastic holiday base for most families with children ace four upwards and I certainly have many fond memories of our time there

After climbing to the sun terrace the views of the medina are superb and it is a delightful place to chill out in the shade or sunbathe.
Lunch was just a delight up there on the day we decided to stay home and although our evenings were too cool to stay out there at night the views were spectacular with all the lights of the city twinkling all around us.

There are many Mosques in very close proximity and the call to prayers resonates within the riad walls but mostly it is a very quiet haven once within the property.
I quite liked the call to prayers, and added to the atmosphere of being in such a unique area I can honestly say this was a good experience of booking a holiday rental of this type.

Rashid and his wife Amina live next door and act as house keepers, they are both helpful in a variety of ways.
Being three lone women Rashid would kindly escort us through the alleys each night time when we returned to base as well as take us through to the open street in the early mornings. He has a lot of local information and when asked, helped us arrange guides and tours. They are both French speaking and we would have struggled with communication with them if one of us were not able to converse well in French.
If you should ask Rashid to arrange a guide to escort you around Fez be very clear what you want or you will be taken round one shopping opportunity after another. I wouldn't say it was a hard sell but wasn't how we would have opted to spend our first day, we just wanted to be orientated with the area so we could work out how to best spend our time. Our guide became frustrated that we had not bought from the places he took us to,like the carpet house and the argon oil shop and it became clear he got a percentage of the sale price as commission.
Getting our guide to stop for food breaks was a struggle, and we repeatedly heard, after I take you ....... It is after that....
It never happened!
I'm still very glad we had taken a guide as its a great way to get your bearings, see the manufacture of stunning ceramics, the tannery, and other crafts first hand and appreciate the skills of the artisans.

When taking a trip outside of Fez and needing a vehicle and driver I can endorse Nacer who speaks good English and he makes a very helpful and interesting guide despite not advertising himself as such.
He is a genuinely nice guy and made our days out with him a total joy. He can be contacted on 00212.6.72.28.11.12 or through Rachid
His prices are reasonable and is extremely honourable and fair , if you need anything in particular he will direct you to where u will get genuine items at a fair price and he takes no hand backs ...which is a refreshing change.
His trips are full and extremely good value for money and financially worked out better than having the hassle of hiring a car , fuel, insurance and keeping it secure overnight and the quandary of parking

He was our personal 'Gem' without him we would not have seen or experienced so much.
An adorable guy, who I was genuinely very sad to say goodbye to. He was an integral part of our holiday, he taught us a few words in Arabic and delighted in our efforts to learn. Through his eyes we found a deeper connection with this fascinating part of Morocco

I found it hugely beneficial to ask Rachid to advise us on where to go on our trips, and he was of great service to us throughout. He was an absolute asset that we didn't realise we had on the outset of selecting our rental and is truly a factor that adds to our overwhelming satisfaction in choosing this property to stay in

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The airy feel to the property once inside and its spaciousness was lovely. The property has a lot of charm and was a real privilege to have an opportunity to stay for a week in a traditional building
Liked least: The stairs posed a problem to me, I accept I had hurt my back three weeks prior but because of the depth they weren't all that much easier to my fit and active friends. However it is also part of its charm!
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Onepea1
Belgium
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 16 April 2015 for a stay in March 2015

The house is lovely and really quite spacious. We particularly enjoyed the carved stonework and woodwork of the doors and it certainly had a lot of character and very pretty basins in the bathrooms. It must be very cool in the summer but in March we found the main dining sitting area a little bit too cold. The owner is really super and all contact with her was very positive and she was very keen to help.
For me the two negatives were its location. It seemed that all the restaurants and cafes that we wanted to go to were far away from where we were living and this posed a problem as we were advised not to walk through the Medina after 10 PM at night. Restaurants often offer a service whereby they will come and walk you to them. Although regrettably one night we had booked a restaurant and they couldn't find us. Don't underestimate what a culture shock Fez is. We are very well travelled but still felt a little helpless in the Medina as it really is a labyrinth and street signs are in Arabic and it can be quite difficult to be autonomous and find your way around. The only supermarket selling wine or beer is a taxi ride away.

The second point I have to make is that the contract says that Amina does two hours cleaning per day. We found this not to be the case. during the total time we stayed there she did not once clean the bathroom or the toilets, and many of the days she didn't make the beds. We would return in the evening to find the kitchen table which we had always cleared up had not even been wiped over. it still had breakfast to crumbs on it. And the bin bags would just pile up in the kitchen. When she did the washing up she would just do it and leave it draining on the sideboard but she didn't dry up and put it away. In fact the quality of her washing up was such that we ended up doing most of the washing up ourselves because we were not happy finding bits of food stuck between two plates when we went to get clean plates from the cupboard. I actually don't expect a cleaner in a rented accommodation on a daily basis. But I think if it is included that she should do her job properly and I think it's important that the owner realises that she isn't.
We understood to that we would have use of the telephone but this was not organised while we were there and for information the television, (not that it mattered to us) only has local television programs. Normally I don't expect or use a telephone on holiday but it did seem to pose a problem when people couldn't find our holiday home to fetch us and things like that.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beauty and character of the house
Liked least: The location
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
axfoster
Kansas City, Missouri
“Large beautiful riad in the Medina.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

A very nice rental with a very helpful manager. The riad was quite large and well kept. Amina, the property manager's wife, is a wonderful cook.

Liked best: Helpful property manager
Liked least: No air conditioning
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing