“Comfortable and chilling ”
Review of dar gnaoua

dar gnaoua
Ranked #22 of 221 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

We took the best of breakfast in our Moroccan trip at the nice view terrace.The interiors are beautiful and lovely. Mr.armahd was very kind hotel staff, he taught us all' needed things for taking a walk in Medina.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 里絵瀬

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Location great with lots of signs posted to help you navigate your way back home to it. Wonderful hospitality, both owner and manager so warm, friendly, and helpful! Wonderful terrace with amazing view over Fes, and delightful way to begin the day with breakfast here. Overall a wonderful experience in a beautiful place. Hope to return.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2017

Sometimes, you come across fantastic hotels and B&Bs that aren't really being run to turn a profit. The owners seem to do it just for the pleasure of hosting people and giving them a wonderful holiday, they don't count the pennies. Dar Gnaoua is one of these places.

I chose it after reading enthusiastic comments about the manager, Ahmed, and seeing the photos of the wonderful view from the roof terrace. So I had a feeling I'd like it, but little did I know how much.

First, the building is absolutely beautiful. My room (the Blue Room) was charming and cosy, with a lovely view from the windows. And although the wifi was only supposed to work in the public areas, I found it worked in the room too!

As for the view from the terrace... wow! The experience of having breakfast there is a memory I will treasure. I never got bored of looking out across the rooftops down below and seeing people go about their day-to-day lives, elegant minarets, taxis, birds and cats. It's a delightful, authentic scene framed by the hills, city walls and mountains in the distance. I defy anyone to find a better view in Fez. And the breakfasts themselves are lovely, substantial and attractively presented.

But the best thing of all here is Ahmed's amazing hospitality. He is a true gentleman, extremely considerate and attentive. He takes care of every little detail, from carrying your suitcase through the medina as you arrive to giving you thoughtful advice about exploring Fez and beyond. He even accompanied me a few times as I left the riad on the way to take a taxi or trip, to make sure I didn't get lost. He is one of those rare people who just seem to devote themselves to helping others without expecting anything in return. He's also really interesting to talk to and doesn't give you the hard sell on anything, in fact he pretty much talked me out of hiring a city guide as he said it just wasn't necessary - and he turned out to be right! As I told him just after I checked out, he personifies Moroccan hospitality.

They also work with a very good driver/guide called Abdoul who picked me up from the airport when I arrived and took me on a great trip to Meknes, Volubilis and Moulay Idriss. He also offers trips to other local places of interest and transfers to pretty much anywhere in the city. The Dar can also offer evening meals if you let them know in the morning what you'd like. And despite its location in the medina, it's surprisingly quiet. In the neighbouring streets, there are a lot of signs that point the way towards it, that was a big help.

All this came at a price which I felt was too low (yes, too low!) at around GBP 30 a night. It was the best value for money I've ever received. Can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 19 April 2017

The staff are AMAZING people. The hotel manager is super helpful in everything we need. Best hospitality we've ever received. Respectful, trustful people that treats you with heart. The hotel owner - a lovely French lady, also super nice and brought us wonderful memories! I will give 10/10, no doubt.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Xi P
Reviewed 21 March 2017

Wonderful small riad in the Medina of Fes. It is very conveniently located and there are a lot of signs in the medina indicating the way to the hotel which helps a lot to get your bearings in the narrow winding streets. The traditional interior is beautiful and the rooms (we rented the suite) are very comfortable. There is a great view of the medina from the roof terrace where a hearty breakfast is served. Ahmed was exceedingly friendly and accommodating, he even accompanied us a number of times to and from the taxi station and helped with the luggage, which was much appreciated. A lovely place to stay in Fez, would be happy to come again.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends