“Good Hotel Nothing Fancy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Ankeny

Comfort Inn Ankeny
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Ankeny
montrose iowa
“Good Hotel Nothing Fancy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed on a weeknight ,wasn't loud. Older hotel and will be needing some work in the future. air conditioner leaked water into the carpet,could explain the the weak spots in the flooring. Nice pool for the kids, water was treated well and didn't smell like a chlorine factory which is a bad sign if you didn't know. The breakfast bar in the morning was great i thought,with eggs gravy and bisquits and all your other usual breakfast items. Alot of dinners nearby is also a plus.And its right of the interstate which is good. Just need to put some money into fixing it back up or it will quicky become one I would want to avoid.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

I stayed at this Comfort Inn for 12 hours after looking for something less expensive, having stayed in several others nearby previously. At $94, it was overpriced, but relatively clean and quiet. No elevator, no ice machine on second floor, wimpy towels, but a pool for kids and breakfast. Had to ask for "scrambled" egg refill, which was scantily replenished. Manager hovered somewhat in dining area, which was a little strange. Could use updating, but for my purposes, it was OK. Not sure I would do it again though.

Room Tip: King room on second floor was fairly large
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dakota City, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

Our room had mold on the outside walls, the carpet was stained, the curtains were dirty. The door did not fit the jam and there was a huge gap at the bottom. The hallway was dingy and the floors were soft, like you'd fall through them. The bed linens felt dirty and the bathroom looked like it needed a thorough cleaning. I did not sleep well as I was completely uncomfortable in a dirty room. Gentleman at check-in was not helpful and didn't want to end his personal conversation on his cell phone to check us in. We will not stay there again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
Danville, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

My family and I stayed in this hotel for the weekend because my daughter had a volleyball tournament in Ankeny. We checked out Sunday morning and headed to our final day of volleyball and were then gonna head home. When I arrived at the tournament my daughter asked me where her purse was and it was then that I remembered I had left it under the dresser at the hotel. (my bad) I quickly called the hotel to ask the lady at the front desk if she could run to our room and get it and I would stop by on our way home and pick it up. She said she would and then would give us a call back. She informed us that they were in the process of cleaning that room so it should not be a problem as there was no one in that room yet. She called us a back a few minutes later to inform us that the purse was not there!! Now, I know for sure that, that purse was under that dresser all weekend because I personally picked that purse up off the bed and placed it there because I knew my daughter would not need it all weekend as she was there to play ball, not shop. Had I not personally put it there myself I would of just assumed that my daughter was being irresponsible and left it sit somewhere and would of probably scolded her for not taking care of her stuff but since I put it there I know exactly where that purse was sitting. We decided after the tournament to stop by the hotel anyway and check that room ourselves and when I got there I was informed that I could not go check because someone had already rented that room. Someone in that hotel has my daughters purse and is just being dishonest. If you decide to stay here my advice to you would be to take all your belongings with you if you decide to leave the room. I hope whoever has taken her purse is enjoying my daughters things and can sleep well at night.

Room Tip: Stay at the hotel next door
Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

We booked a three night stay here for our trip to the State Fair. We chose the whirlpool suite. What a disappointment.

First - let's talk about the whirlpool. In order to make this a "whirlpool suite," some genius ripped out the tub, put up a wall where it used to be, and threw a hot tub adjacent to it in a standard king room. The on switch was dead. When we called the hotel desk, they told us it was on the wall around the corner from the tub. YEP. It's on a fifteen minute timer, so make it snappy!

If you'd like to shower, tread lightly. The drain is right in the center so moving one's foot closes the drain.

The room was furnished in early three-decade rummage sale. The greenish hassock by the whirlpool (???) almost matched the desk chair!!! The burgundy with gold leafed arm chair and footstool appears to be newer and was shoved into the corner (I guess the previous complaint worked). The curtains were the tired ones that were probably installed when the room was new (indeterminate brown), while the bedspread and shower curtain were similar colors in a gold striped pattern.

There must have been a lamp sale as there were lamps all over that room. One on the desk was being used to store an extension cord - by having one wrapped around its base.

But all of that might have been forgiven. The bed cannot be. I really couldn't feel the innersprings, but there is no doubt that they were just beyond my sense. Horribly uncomfortable bed from which my husband and I both woke early and with much pain. We asked the desk for better beds and were told all were the same.

Maintenance is poor. The windows in our room were totally fogged over for the entire time that we were there. I haven't figured that out, as it was very hot outside. The AC unit was difficult to control and was set on FREEZE MEAT when we checked in. We had it comfy by about 2 am.

We checked out, and the pleasant clerk apologized for being unable to accommodate us. Then went to the casino until we could check into the Country Inn and Suites next door for the weekend. It was cheaper and much nicer.

Convenient location when changing hotels. A Holiday Inn Express and a Country Inn and Suites are in the same business park. I didn't check out the HIE, but I can't imagine that it's worse.

Outback Steak House is also in that park, and IHOP, Walgreens, Target, Menards, Home Depot and a bunch of fast food places are just a 2 minute drive away. Choose another hotel. Life's too short for bad sleeping!!

(Yes, your pets are welcome for $25 EACH, assuming they weigh less than 25#. That's a dollar per pound.)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple