“The Bird's Eye has it”
Review of Dutch Oven Bakery

Dutch Oven Bakery
Ranked #1 of 3 Bakeries in Ames
Reviewed 5 January 2018

The Dutch Oven Bakery makes consistently amazing sugary treats. The Bird's Eye doughnut is simply amazing. The raspberry rosettes are also wonderful. I have tried a few of the items with almond paste, dutch letters etc, they were all above average. The only thing I have tried and not liked was a bread which looked deceptively moist and sweet on top, and the top was good, but the inside was nothing special, a real disappointment.

Service there is usually good, not overly friendly, and one time I had to ask the girl who was helping me to please stop touching my doughnuts with her bare hand. She definitely had not just washed them, she was the same person working the register, it was pretty gross. I couldn't understand why she used a paper at all if she was going to use her other hand bare, maybe just use 2 papers next time.

Overall, definitely somewhere to visit when you want yummy baked goods. They also stock a cabinet in the gas station by Dairy Queen on Grand, great for getting a doughnut in the afternoon/evening after the bakery has closed.

Reviewed 24 December 2017

While in town for a meeting, stopped in to pick up cookies. They have a good selection and they were very tasty. Prices were very reasonable, I paid almost twice as much the day before in Des Moines for the same quality. It was full when I stopped in, but the wait was not long.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

When thinking of the Dutch in Iowa, I think of Pella and Orange City, but have found that the Dutch Oven Bakery in Ames is great if I can't be in either of the other two communities. The owner was trained by the owners of Jaarsma Bakery in Pella -- and that means that the Dutch pastries are wonderful. Everything I have had from this bakery has been greatly satisfying.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

This is a café too – but each time I go I've got my eye on the prize – the Birds-eye donut. My husband's favorite is the Apple Fritter so it is super easy to stop in and get a special treat! And don't over look the selection of fresh baked breads. Their big claim to fame is The Dutch Letter "S" - and if you're new to Dutch Oven Bakery, that pastry alone will make you a fan.

1  Thank MissyBunch
Reviewed 4 August 2017

With locations in both Boone and Ames, the Dutch Oven Bakery makes the absolute Best pastries available. They have doughnuts, eclairs, danish of all descriptions, longjohns, bismarks, cookies, dutch letters, cakes and breads of all descriptions.
The store also has a sizable dining area for individuals or small groups to congregate while enjoying their delicious delights.