“Great place for a quick lunch. ”
Review of El Azteca

El Azteca
Ranked #8 of 220 Restaurants in Ames
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

I was here with a good friend for lunch. It was very busy but we got seated quickly and food also came out quickly.

It was tasty and as expected.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 18 September 2018

We just moved to central Iowa from Texas, and have been trying to find Mexican food similar to what we're used to. This is the first place that I have liked the salsa. The best tacos I had were very good. I washed it all down with a cold Modelo Especial! From a bottle, but that's okay.
The service was good. The atmosphere is pleasant.
I'll be going there again even though it is half an hour away.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 27 August 2018

My son attending Iowa State took me over to El Azteca when I visited Ames. I've made sure we go back whenever I'm in town. Our family really liked the place. I'm not a Mexican food expert but the everyone in group really loved their dishes. My son and I always get the Burrito California whenever we go. Not sure about some of the negative staff comments. I've always liked how the staff behaved and how they've treated us. I think there are a couple El Azteca locations.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

We met a friend here for dinner. Chips and a very bland salsa were served immediately after we were seated. The chips were definitely nothing special, and I had to add hot sauce to make the salsa even close to our taste. We usually eat all the chips offered in a Mexican restaurant, but the basket was mostly full when we left. My husband ordered enchiladas that he described as “okay.” I ordered mushroom quesadillas which were very good in the center portion, but I cut off a large portion that was dry and tasteless, too. I did like the guacamole/ tomato/lettuce that accompanied the quesadillas, since it was fresh.
We each had two Negro Modelo beers, and it was nice to have these on draft for a change.
Our server was very encouraging of our speaking Spanish, and he was humorous.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 28 July 2018

We were fooled by the reviews. When we travel we try to eat at local restaurants. This location is nestled between SEVERAL hotels and you would expect it to be busy, but it wasn’t. From the time we walked in, the service was sub-average. Most servers didn’t understand simple English requests. As for the food it was also sub-average. My kids wanted plain cheese quesadillas and chicken tenders. First the quesadillas were cold. For some reason, when they don’t put meat in them, they just place cheese in the tortilla shells and serve them. We had to talk to three servers, before someone understood that they should be cooked! Finally they came out warm, but now all the cheese was on the plate and not between the tortillas. My son’s tenders were looked like they were cooked, cut and the cooked again. The adult meals were average and were eaten just so we didn’t just throw all our money away. The food and service was totally sub-average. Obviously people have different expectations and experiences, but ours was awful and will make us think differently about eating in local places.

Date of visit: July 2018

Been to El Azteca? Share your experiences!