“I want to like this place”

Olde Main Brewing Company
Reserve with OpenTable
Olde Main Brewing Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 216 Restaurants in Ames
Price range: USD 15 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

I really want to like this restaurant but I just don’t. I’ve eaten here many times and had drinks on the bar side. Maybe it’s just not my type of restaurant. I don’t care for the in house brewed beer and the food constantly leaves me disappointed. Service is on the slower side even when there isn’t a crowd. Probably won’t be returning.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Returning our daughter to Iowa State typically means an evening meal at Olde Main. We have enjoyed the various craft beers and alcoholic beverages over the years. They are right priced for the college crowd. Each time we are here, we try a new one on tap. As for our dinner meal, their hamburgers are first rate, and fills the hungry student. This time I had a salad, and the Iowa Chop. The Chop had a great pretzel crust and was tasty, flavorful and served with a half cob of roasted corn and mash potatoes. The serving size was right sized, not too large, but enough to fill a hungry adult. The atmosphere is a typical bar, restaurant in central Iowa. They have created spaces to ensure that you can have a comfortable dinner conversation without shouting to other dinner mates. We enjoy coming here, and we never had any service issues.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Past experiences have been pretty good - most recent visit was exceptional! Tried some staple items to see how it was as it had been several months since previous visit.

Plain burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard and ketchup. Burger was cooked as ordered (Medium) and had good flavor, texture, and was juicy. Vegetables were fresh and flavorful (always commend a restaurant that uses red onions rather than white or yellow). Bun was warm, soft on the outside and lightly grilled/toasted on the inside.

For sides I tried the fries, coleslaw, and was given a complimentary trial of the sauerkraut. Coleslaw was perfectly balanced - just right amount of sweet/sour/creamy - uncommonly good it used apple cider vinegar! Fries were golden brown and crispy. Sauerkraut great - had some crunch to it, wasn't overly salty, and definitely could tell it had been made onsite (not canned kraut). Next time I'll have to try the brat to complement the kraut (which I was told are also made onsite).

Definitely would recommend for first-timers and if you haven't been satisfied in the past - give it another shot, there's a new Chef and he's doing great things!

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

On a weekend get away we decided to try this place out for dinner. My husband had the tenderloin and I had the pulled pork. Both were huge, mine so much I had to eat it with a knife and fork. We shared the creme brulea afterwards and it was very yummy! Service was great and all employees were pleasant. The only disappointment was they were out of what we were going to have as an appetizer, but if we would have had it we wouldn't have had room for dessert!

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

The atmosphere is very cool. The service and did not so good. Didn't live up to the location. Had soggy fried pickles. Mountain Dew was gross tasting. All of the people in the party had to ask several times to have water refilled. Bacon wrapped pork chops weren't bacon wrapped. Won't go back.

Been to Olde Main Brewing Company? Share your experiences!