“Great food ”

Hickory Park Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 218 Restaurants in Ames
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Was in town for my first Iowa State football game. Meet some friends for dinner and the food is great. Had to wait about 10 minutes for a table glad I did. Anybody visit Ames must eat here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed 11 October 2018

While the wait to get a table was long and only because the Iowa State football game had just ended, the food was out of this world delicious. Prices are reasonable for the amount of food that you get. I hat the turkey dinner. The turkey had great flavoring and it melted in your mouth. Service was amazing as well.This restaurant truly deserves five stars.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I grew up in Ames and left at age 13. I believe Hickory Park was still at its first location when I moved away - and I loved it just as much back then. It was always so busy! I love the new very big building that they have now and it is always busy but so worth the wait!!! I’ve been in Mississippi for 30 years but EVERY time I come home to visit, I come to Hickory Park as many times as I can! I have celiac disease and so it is hard to find great gluten free food. Hickory Park has GF buns that come heated in a sealed bag and are some of the best GF buns I have found in the 8 years since my diagnosis! The French fries are fried in a dedicated fryer and so I can actually have a REAL burger (or whatever sandwich) with French fries and I have never gotten sick afterwards. The meat plates are awesome, too, and I love that they have so many sides that are also GF. Don’t forget to try a Green River! I wish the cheese curds were GF. We don’t have them in Mississippi and I haven’t eaten one since I was diagnosed with celiac - but I still give this restaurant 5+ stars!!! I’ve never had a bad meal there in all my 43 years of eating there!

Reviewed 5 October 2018

I had the beef bbq and my wife had bbq chicken and ribs. All were tasty and tender. We were surprised by how large the place is and it was quite full when we got there at 1 pm. However, we were seated immediately and the food came quickly. All the staff were pleasant.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Visiting some of our "Winter Texan" friends and they suggested this for lunch. Great choice a wide variety of tasty treats and some pretty good Ribs {they could have been a little tenderer but the flavor was great}. Sandwiches,Soups,Sides and ice cream were great.

Been to Hickory Park Restaurant? Share your experiences!