“Not bad, Not Great”

Bufords Steak House & BBQ
Ranked #151 of 218 Restaurants in Ames
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 29 December 2017

We visited this restaurant while staying at the Quality Inn in Ames, IA. When we arrived, there were no other patrons in the establishment. It is a large facility, so I figured that, since it was Thursday night, it was probably a much busier place on the weekends. The waitress was friendly and the food was good, just not great. I had the grilled chicken sandwich, which was probably a frozen breast before it was cooked. Rather bland, so I added the spicy bbq sauce to give it some flavor. My wife had the Cod sandwich and said it was OK. We both agreed that the fries were pretty good. I would suggest that the restaurant check their menu, do some social media advertising and get a crowd on the non traditional days.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

A little run down but service was excellent and the food was good and my very hungry daughter got seated without the 25-35 minute wait at 3 other places we had tried.

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

We walked in after traveling all day, there were two other tables and we were not greeted in any way. There were 2 people we saw who appeared to work there. Both looked at us a couple times but said nothing. We chose a place to sit and waited 5 minutes to even be acknowledged. This should have been our cue to leave. I ordered a rum and coke and the brisket, my husband the tenderloin. My rum and coke was badly watered down. The brisket was more bland than roast beef. I get that they want you to choose your sauce at the table but there was no seasoning. My husband's meal was absurdly misproportioned. The bun that was supposed to be toasted was cold and the meat super thin all you could taste was breading. We've had better out of a convenience store cooler. The server was rude reaching over unnecessarily while we were still eating. My husband thought maybe it was closing soon and they were in a hurry so he checked his watch only to find it was 2 hours before closing. On a positive note the food came out quickly and our cole slaw as good. I've posted pictures of our meals.

Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

Loved this place, it's always nice to have a good bar/restaurant attached to the hotel. Their food was really good and the service was as well. Will come back again

Reviewed 7 May 2016 via mobile

Aye here a few nights while I stayed at the hotel attached to it. The staff was friendly and the food is excellent. Looking forward to eating here next year

Been to Bufords Steak House & BBQ? Share your experiences!