Econo Lodge
USD 110
Country Inn
USD 119
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 162/night.

USD 224
USD 123
Hampton.com
USD 140
USD 100
USD 94
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 122/night.

AmericInn by Wyndham Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
USD 125
USD 122
  • Breakfast included
USD 136
USD 111
BestWestern.com
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 142/night.

USD 110
All reviewswafflesrefrigerator and microwavethe wi fiother hotelsmorning breakfastbed was comfortablestaff was very friendlyclean roomsmoteltvlaundryclusteredpillowsrates
Reviewed 23 August 2017

We were caught in traffic returning from the Total Solar Eclipse in Nebraska. We called just before arriving and were offered an AARP rate ($5 less) than the rate I found on a hotel booking site. The lobby was updated and clean, and we were surprised that the room was also updated. The carpets looked brand new and everything had the color/design coordination of a designer. The furniture package has been updated and was dark wood. The pillows were hard foam, but we had our own with us so it didn't matter. A large fridge and good microwave were convenient additions. The bathroom had been renovated with granite counter tops. The room was very clean and smelled good. A no-frills breakfast came with the room. This certainly wasn't an upscale hotel, but I was very pleasantly surprised and I would definitely stay here again!

The only con was the front desk worker on the overnight shift. When we asked about the breakfast, he said that it was just an ordinary hotel breakfast and didn't share more that what we asked about. I also asked about the elevator since our room was on the 2nd floor. He laughed and said, "It's just a two story hotel." Luckily we are agile and strong 50+ and 60+ travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the AmericInn and Comfort Suites. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2017

The room was very muggy and humid, because the air conditioner needs to be serviced. It needs to be able to drain the water out, instead of recirculating through the room. The front desk didn't know what we were talking about.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

We needed a bed for the night while traveling through. For a no frills price, we were quite impressed with the warm & friendly customer service, clean/newly updated room, comfortable/firm bed, and decent breakfast.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

I called with some questions, including rates. I was told a double was 79, and pets were 10 for a total of 89 plus tax.

When I arrived, I was told that was not correct. The double was 89, and pets were 15 for a total of 104 plus tax. I think everyone will agree that's false advertisement.

If you reserve a room here, then make sure you record the phone call!

Also, the pet fee is per pet per night. At least that's what I was told when I arrived.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2017

I only chose this hotel because it was the cheapest option in the area I wanted to stay in. I got what I paid for.

A hassle at check-in because I used an online booking program that gave me one confirmation number for two rooms and then at the hotel they split it into two bookings - one under my name and one under my husband's different last name. Again, though I asked for adjoining rooms nearly 2 months in advance, the hotel was fully booked and my kids had to stay across the hall down the way from us.

A dirty room. The coffee "service" was one bag of coffee and one stirrer/sweetener/napkin packet. But there was no coffee - just a ripped open bag from the last occupants. The bathroom was moldy and had hair from previous tenants in it. The floor felt damp.

A broken air conditioner. In July. In Iowa. OMG. We had a wedding to go to and reported the problem. When we returned the air conditioner had been left OFF ("so it could re-set itself") from the time they looked at it. It had to have been 95 degrees in there. The air slowly choked on but it took over an hour for that room to become bearable. I asked for and was brought a floor fan.

ZERO maid service. I tip hotel maid service - it's a tough job. After our first night, not only did they not re-stock the coffee, the actually left the coffee that was there in the coffee pot. I decided to test it to see when they thought it would be appropriate to dump old coffee. Answer: never. They also never restocked the coffee (that, again, was not there in the first place - we grabbed one from our sons' room). The disgusting long hair on the floor in the bathroom never changed position. They never restocked the "glassware" (STYROFOAM? REALLY?). They essentially came in, put in some new towels on the racks, pulled up the bedcovers and left. ugh.

Gross breakfast. I'm vegan. I don't require much, just some fresh fruit and plain oatmeal. Nope. Day 1 no fruit, just sugar-laden quaker oat envelopes. Day 2, a banana and a trip to target for me to get my own danged oatmeal. And again, there is STYROFOAM and only STYROFOAM to cook oats in the microwave (are we in the 70s here?) The juice machine was almost empty of orange juice the first day so we got a nice cup of orangewater. The kids liked the waffles. The coffee was okay.

And to top off the stay, someone dinged the heck out of my rental car door in the parking lot. Thankfully, Hertz at Des Moines Airport is extremely lackadaisical on the check-in or that could have been expensive.

It was an inexpensive place to rest our heads, and for that it worked. Will never stay at this property again and would probably not consider this chain again.

Room Tip: To get a better room, go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family