All reviewswest sidebeautiful hotelomeletiowa statemy sonbasketball tournamentfront desk staffcomplimentary breakfastin towngreat place to stayisu campusstaff was friendlycomfortable bedshgilobbyadjustablehighway
Reviewed 6 March 2018

I'm currently staying in one of the remodelled rooms at this Hilton Garden Inn in Ames. The floor I'm on is still under construction so there is a plastic paint-guard runner along the hallways. The room is obviously newly remodelled which based on the other reviews here is an improvement. Definitely new carpet and new, but extremely cheap furnishings. Couple of observations:
My King bed was comfortable - no complaints there
Lighting is the worst I've ever experienced in any hotel I've stayed at and I travel all the time for work. Literally can not see to read or even iron a shirt. There is a single light in the entry of the room, then a very low wattage desk lamp (not bright enough to work with) and two flexible reading lights on each end of the bed - but even those reading lights were extremely dim. I'm not exaggerating, this room is so underlit, you won't be able to see to read, work or even find stuff in your luggage.
Desk was made to look modern, but is a glossy white finish which makes it impossible to use a computer mouse on. Desk chair is a modern looking chair, but so uncomfortable I had to to down to the lobby to work on my laptop.
I could hear every word of the person and his TV in the room next to me so there is zero noise suppression.
The curtain was impossible to open (so I could see without appropriate lighting) and when I attempted to open them the curtain rod (looks like a shower curtain rod) fell to the floor.
Bottom line, these newly remodeled rooms I"m assuming will be all rooms in this hotel soon, are mostly a fail.
I had a very light breakfast in the hotel, a bagel (stale) and oatmeal (watery)
I won't be returning to this Hilton.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Debra M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Hello Kctonic

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We appreciate when guests like you let us know where we can improve. I understand your concerns with the lighting in the new guest rooms. We are addressing all of your concerns with our newly renovated rooms. Unfortunately we did have a hic-up with our window coverings - and put up temporary ones till the correct ones arrive. I do hope you will give us another try after renovations are completed. please feel free to call me or email me with any questions or concerns.

Again thank you for helping us improve our hotel.

Regards
Debra Maier

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I stayed at this hotel two times in the last few weeks. To maintain my Hilton Honors Diamond status, I try to stay at Hiltons as much as possible. Staying at HGI two times was a mistake.The rooms are dreary and depressing, their age shows clearly. In my first visit, I went for the breakfast at soon after 6 am. The fruits (melons in particular) were spoiled with sour smell clearly evident at the cold food bar. The pastries and muffins were stale, probably way past their 'sale by' date. Freshly made omelet was delicious. The front desk staff was professional but not customer-friendly. After the visit, I wrote comments in the Hilton survey that I got. Immediately, I got an email from the hotel management. I responded and told them that I will be back in the hotel in a few weeks.

In my second visit, there were no improvements. I was told that there are 15 updated rooms, but I could not be given one! It seems that there is no attempt to assign rooms based on Hilton Honors status. The person at the front desk tried to upgrade me after I complained about the first room assigned to me (a room for handicapped person). She could not. The contact by management did not seem to mean that I will be treated better the second time. I was back in a dreary, tired room. The breakfast was equally tired.

I am returning to Ames in another few weeks. I have no intention to stay at HGI Ames again. My unusually low rating reflects the poor customer service/hotel practices and no intention to make any improvements.

Stayed: February 2018
Debra M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Hello ChefHubby,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of food you expected. We are constantly working to improve our hotel and your comments will help us improve in this area. As you know we are going through a 2 million dollar renovation and it takes time to get all the rooms completed. I'm sorry we were unable to get you a renovated room, we try our best to take care of our Honor members but sometimes we just can not move them. If there is anything else I can do for you at this time, please contact me at the phone number or email below. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. Our goal is to make your stay better and brighter. If something isn't just the way you like it, simply let any Team Member know, and we will make it right. Guaranteed.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

Front desk man entered our room unannounced with a bunch of 10 year old girls in there. COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE!
Also were inconsistent with guest's about food and alcohol regulations. Some people were allowed to drink alcoholic beverages and eat pizza from "outside" in their lobby and others weren't.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Debra M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Hi Julie,

We are sorry for the miss understanding, I did send you an email yesterday. Please give me a call if you would like to talk about this further. We do appreciate you choosing the Hilton Garden Inn and hope we will see you again.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

In town for a family event in Madrid. Wife and I got a suite and it was excellent. Perhaps I’m a hillbilly but it was the first suite I have had with 2 bathrooms! Very nice room. Whirlpool in the huge bathroom. Very clean. Nice comfy bed. Nice bar in the lobby with hot food available. Staff was super friendly. Nice sports bar within walking distance. We will be back!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Debra M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again. No, you are not a hillbilly, there are many times I'm wowed at other hotels myself. lol

Reviewed 11 January 2018

Visited friends and family over the Christmas holidays. Came here from Arizona and we stay here each year. Great atmosphere and the hospitality is great also. Room was very nice and spacious. We loved our stay.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Debra M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ames - we enjoyed having you here with us and look forward to seeing you again.