USD 107
USD 124
HIExpress.com
USD 114
USD 150
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 November 2017

On a recent cross-country trip from Oregon to Michigan and back (via California), we stayed at 15 different Motel 6 locations. Generally, they fall into one of two categories – “a decent stay for a decent price,” or “a sleep cheap and we know it.” The former are well-kept properties where service and cleanliness are top-notch; the latter are places that fail to perform routine maintenance or cleaning, and/or fail to in some other manner.

The Des Moines (Altoona) Motel 6 was OK – the room was clean and the staff friendly, but (a) the toilet ran all night long, and (b) the little fridge was extremely noisy. These are things that should be dealt with long before guests use the room.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2017

In the past I had given up on this motel chain but when the hand of sleep tugs at your eyelids, you take what you can get and quick.
Pros-
The room had decent amount of space to allow for comfort.
Clean room.
Considering that the mattress was a little rough, the sleep quality was good.
Room had a refrigerator and microwave oven.
Located not far from the interstate.

Cons-
This location shares the same road/area with a 24/7 gas station. For anyone that’s a light sleeper, you may want to request a room away from the majority of the noise.
Bathroom sink was slow to drain.
Overall: For the price, it allowed for a safe stay and fair night’s sleep.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I give this place a poor rating because of the strong smell coming from the A/C. I tried to abate the smell by removing and cleaning the filters to no avail. Front desk was friendly and helpful rooms were otherwise clean. I only give it a 2 star because of the smell in the room. I'm not lying when I say I'd rather sleep in my car the next time then sleep in that room.

Room Tip: ask to check out a room before renting.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Motel 6 Des Moines East, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Jimi, , Thank you for sharing your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in delivering on the commitment during your recent stay. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the odor concern you describe. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

The property, was actually clean all around. The staff were very friendly and they allowed us to check in 2 hrs. earlier then the normal check in time. The room was spotless and it had hardwood floors. The bed was very comfortable which is kind of odd for a Motel 6. The funny thing was, the room did not come with a "do not disturb" sign so, when i asked the front desk for one they told me they didn't have any signs. They wrote on paper and gave me it. The room did not have a remote for the tv. of course, I had to head down to the front desk and ask them for the remote. The internet you had to pay 2.99 for normal speed 4.99 for fast speed. finally, it did not come with a free breakfast. I would of gave it 5 stars if, 1. had breakfast 2. free internet

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Halls and rooms smelled like smoke, one of the queen sheets weren't clean, floors were okay clean but you could see dirt and what looked like cigarette ashes in the corners- especially in the bathroom. Hallway was way dirty outside and I had to go back to the desk multiple times to reactivate my card because I accidently put it near my phone or credit card. Never heard of that before- bet it happens a lot at that motel because EVERYBODY has at least a phone or credit card with a chip. Dirty at back entrance with overflowing small trash can with overflowing ashtray at top with tons of cigarettes. Had a baby in the room and we did not let him crawl on the floors. NO CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST, NO INTERNET, NOT CLEAN!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family