“Wailea Emerald and Gold-”

Ranked #254 of 499 Outdoor Activities in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: This lush and tropical layout measures 6,825 yards from the back, featuring four to six tee boxes on every hole, allowing golfers to tailor the course to their level of skill.
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Compared to other courses on Maui, I would classify these two as “Resort” courses with the Gold being the more difficult of the two. They are impeccably maintained in all aspects..possible a little too manicured..could that be! The greens are in excellent shape with good roll, some tough putt reads but no surprises ala’ Kapalua. The day we played the flagstick on the Emerald course was short on the green. The backspin on my ball made it frequently roll off the green. I changed ball and hit it deeper..it seemed to help after these several bogie-lessons learned.

The Gold course has a great perponderance of bunkers (93 as the starter told me) which can demand accurate shots or better yet, playing a good tactical golf game. In other words, you may need to hit a hybrid/ 5 wood from the tee instead of a driver. The objective is to get the obstacles out of play even with a mistake. The Gold course is longer in distance from all of its tee boxes than the Emerald with the later having very low USGA slope ratings of 128 from the tips, 124 from the blue and 119 from the whites…and add about 10 more slope points for the Gold course. This is a significant difference but both are most enjoyable given their layouts.

I thought that Emerald’s hole 10 and 17 that share a huge green were not only cleaver in layout, but also demanded a thoughtful second shot to avoid the water. The flags were snug to the green’s water edge side so instintively you play it safe ending up with a long very tough 2 putt which easily can turn into 3.

The views are good on both courses with the Emerald having the most famous hole 1 and 18 and with the Gold famous 8th hole all having views towards Molokini. We played in the morning given our schedule so we always paid top dollar. The wind is not a factor (like Kapalua) during the day. A slight breeze does lift in the afternoon. I discovered this since I played the neighboring course (Makena) in the afternoon. Both courses have an excellent pace of play from 3:30 to 4 hours.

If you are a fan of RTJ design , you will be in heaven…but hit them straight.

Background- As part of our three week golf vacation, I played 7 different courses totaling 12 rounds. On the Big Island, they were Hapuna, Makalei and Mauna Kea. On Maui, they were Kapalua, Makena, Wailea Emerald & Gold. My handicap index is 3.7 and played from the “tips” with the exception of Kapalua since they were not available. All have been reviewed on this web site.

3  Thank marenostrum
"track"
"scenery"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 10 February 2011

This is a gorgeous course - I don't know what the person who said there are few ocean view holes was talking about. You can see the ocean from every single hole on the course. It's also in great shape - when we played all the fairways were wonderful and the sand traps were of special note - they were in perfect shape. So there's nothing to complain about there.

The greens were pretty difficult - I'm not a super-avid golfer so I'm not sure if it was the type of grass or whatever, but they had a lot of grain and were playing a little bit slow the day we were there and they really made us look very bad on a number of occasions.

However, in spite of a lot of three-putts and a general feeling that I was leaving a lot of strokes out there on the greens, I scored very well compared to my usual scores. I attribute this to the course's short length and wide-open layout. I didn't lose a single ball all round, which is unheard of for me. Most errant tee shots are easily found.

Service was fine, though unremarkable. I wished for a little more attention from the cart girl - she only came around twice during our round (she showed up again on 18 but that hardly counts) and with no snack shack or anything at the turn, we all wished for a little more love out there. Marshals had the right touch.

This course is gorgeous and in great shape, and you'll have a good time playing, though excellent golfers may want for more challenge.

Reviewed 4 January 2010

Wailea Golf Club -Gold Course: had read wonderful reviews about the course and the course itself is actually not bad. However, we waited twenty minutes on the first tee and then had the marshall proceeded to tell us all the carts have to be in by 530pm (our tee time was 130 and did not tee off until nearly 2pm) We were not informed before hand and no discounts were made for what would ended up to be a "twilight" round. Very disorganized. Unfortunately also not much of a service as well. Nevertheless, the Robert Trent Jones II golf course itself is worth the incoveniences. Just make sure to book a morning tee time.

Reviewed 27 October 2009

Played the Wailea Emerald course, went out first group and finished in about 2.5 hours. It was a great course. If you are looking for that perfect course to fill up your camera then this is not really it. Only a few holes with ocean views. However, it was a beautiful course, well layed out. Generous landing areas and overly not too difficult. It was in great condition throughout. I am not used to playing on the type of greens so I had a difficult time putting until I just went back to basics. I tried listening to what the starter said about putting and I think it just put too much stuff in my head about breaks and grain etc. After about 12 holes I went back to my normal routine of putting and had a much better result. The staff were all top notch. It was pricey and that was why I only played one round but I felt it was worth it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Played the Wailea Old Blue Course during the week of September 13, 2009. Great old course. Good staffing. No complaints.

Gold course greens however, had been very recently aerated and we were not told this when we arrived to play. Nobody wants to pay the fees charged at this place and find out the greens are not smooth! Inadequate staffing when this information is not shared! Had we been told the aeration happened and the greens were not smooth yet, we would have chosen to go elsewhere. However, my husband managed to get a 6 over par on the course. He is roughly a +10 weekend golfer.

Love the views of Blue, Gold and Emerald. You can not go wrong playing any course here.