Ways to Experience Hanakapiai Falls
from USD 145.00
from USD 123.96
from USD 486.65
More Info
All reviews stream crossings ke'e beach mile hike tough hike hiking shoes bring plenty of water slippery rocks miles round trip elevation changes start early trail head great hike napali coast bamboo forest second half four miles walking stick
Reviewed 21 February 2018

My husband and I hiked up to Hanakapi'ai Falls this month while in Kauai; it was absolutely beautiful but technically difficult due to the wetness of the trail. There are several stream crossings and about a mile of mostly scrambling over rocks. We definitely felt it was worth it, but I would not attempt this unless you are an experienced hiker and prepared for a challenging hike with good footwear. Many people were hiking in tennis shoes, which is the minimum I think you could manage; hiking boots are better due to how slippery the trail gets. Please don't try this in flip flops!

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

It was a hard hike but it was beautiful!! Had to cross 3 or 4 streams so be prepared for that. Wet shoes are no fun! But it was so amazing to see!

Reviewed 29 January 2018

One of my favorite things we did on the island! The hike was easy for me, but I live at 8700 feet in the Rockies. You will want to bring plenty of water, it is a 8 mile hike roundtrip. 2 miles to the beach, then 2 miles up to waterfall. It will be super muddy!! Plan for that, do not wear sandals, you shoes and feet will be covered in mud. It will be a little slippery, since you will be muddy, so be prepared for that. If you go, you should suck it up and swim in the falls. It is cold at first, but you really do adjust quickly. Leave no travel, this place is so special, but since it isn't a far hike, gets lots of visitors. Use bathroom at trailhead/parking lot, only one 2 miles in at beach and not the best. Roundtrip took 4 hours. Plan for 6. Bring at least 32 oz of water and snacks. For parking in the lot, you'll need to get there before 8 am, unless you get lucky. I did not bring my toddler and am glad I didn't. You need to keep them in pack the whole hike and since it is so slippery/muddy, could be easy for you to fall while carrying your kid.

3  Thank momcdaniel
Reviewed 26 January 2018

My wife and I made the round trip in about 8 hours with several breaks along the way. We are in our mid-late 30's in moderately good shape and did not have any issues with the trip. Even coming from the flatlands of Michigan the hike wasn't overly challenging. All the trip advisor reviews were spot on! Nothing quite like the experience of floating in the pool and looking up at a 300 ft waterfall. Amazing!

1  Thank lilguy46
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

It was hard, but rewarding. I kept telling myself (and him) that we would be rewarded with a beautiful waterfall. And, I was not disappointed. It was just breathtakingly beautiful. I wish you could jump into my pictures and see it for yourself instead of having to take an 8 mike (round trip) hike. The hike itself was treacherous and, at times, nonsensical. There were moments (mainly on the hike to the waterfall) where we’d have to traverse across walls of rocks and have about a foot and a half to walk on. You have to jump rocks across streams, try not to slip in the mud, and figure out which way the path actually is. I know if sounds like I’m complaining about it, but I really think that it was worth it, I just may never do it again. Haha. Tips: wear water proof shoes, enjoy the mud, and make sure every member of your party is a willing participant in this sort of hike.