“Amazing Experience”
Review of Hanakapiai Falls

Hanakapiai Falls
Ranked #8 of 298 things to do in Kauai
Reviewed 27 February 2018

We were encouraged by a couple that we met at the hotel to 'push on' and go past the beach up to the falls. That suggestion hung in my head throughout the hike, and I'm echoing the sentiment here after seeing it myself.

There are several stream crossings and multiple points where you have to walk on very slippery rocks on the edge of steep trail. Be very careful.

1  Thank GnarGnarPowPow
in 19 reviews
"four miles"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 21 February 2018

My husband and I hiked up to Hanakapi'ai Falls this month while in Kauai; it was absolutely beautiful but technically difficult due to the wetness of the trail. There are several stream crossings and about a mile of mostly scrambling over rocks. We definitely felt it was worth it, but I would not attempt this unless you are an experienced hiker and prepared for a challenging hike with good footwear. Many people were hiking in tennis shoes, which is the minimum I think you could manage; hiking boots are better due to how slippery the trail gets. Please don't try this in flip flops!

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

It was a hard hike but it was beautiful!! Had to cross 3 or 4 streams so be prepared for that. Wet shoes are no fun! But it was so amazing to see!

Reviewed 29 January 2018

One of my favorite things we did on the island! The hike was easy for me, but I live at 8700 feet in the Rockies. You will want to bring plenty of water, it is a 8 mile hike roundtrip. 2 miles to the beach, then 2 miles up to waterfall. It will be super muddy!! Plan for that, do not wear sandals, you shoes and feet will be covered in mud. It will be a little slippery, since you will be muddy, so be prepared for that. If you go, you should suck it up and swim in the falls. It is cold at first, but you really do adjust quickly. Leave no travel, this place is so special, but since it isn't a far hike, gets lots of visitors. Use bathroom at trailhead/parking lot, only one 2 miles in at beach and not the best. Roundtrip took 4 hours. Plan for 6. Bring at least 32 oz of water and snacks. For parking in the lot, you'll need to get there before 8 am, unless you get lucky. I did not bring my toddler and am glad I didn't. You need to keep them in pack the whole hike and since it is so slippery/muddy, could be easy for you to fall while carrying your kid.

3  Thank momcdaniel
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 January 2018

My wife and I made the round trip in about 8 hours with several breaks along the way. We are in our mid-late 30's in moderately good shape and did not have any issues with the trip. Even coming from the flatlands of Michigan the hike wasn't overly challenging. All the trip advisor reviews were spot on! Nothing quite like the experience of floating in the pool and looking up at a 300 ft waterfall. Amazing!

1  Thank lilguy46