“Best experience on Kauai!”
Review of Hanakapiai Falls

Hanakapiai Falls
Ranked #8 of 301 things to do in Kauai
Reviewed 26 January 2018

My wife and I made the round trip in about 8 hours with several breaks along the way. We are in our mid-late 30's in moderately good shape and did not have any issues with the trip. Even coming from the flatlands of Michigan the hike wasn't overly challenging. All the trip advisor reviews were spot on! Nothing quite like the experience of floating in the pool and looking up at a 300 ft waterfall. Amazing!

1  Thank lilguy46
in 10 reviews
"decent shape"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

It was hard, but rewarding. I kept telling myself (and him) that we would be rewarded with a beautiful waterfall. And, I was not disappointed. It was just breathtakingly beautiful. I wish you could jump into my pictures and see it for yourself instead of having to take an 8 mike (round trip) hike. The hike itself was treacherous and, at times, nonsensical. There were moments (mainly on the hike to the waterfall) where we’d have to traverse across walls of rocks and have about a foot and a half to walk on. You have to jump rocks across streams, try not to slip in the mud, and figure out which way the path actually is. I know if sounds like I’m complaining about it, but I really think that it was worth it, I just may never do it again. Haha. Tips: wear water proof shoes, enjoy the mud, and make sure every member of your party is a willing participant in this sort of hike.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

Breathtaking views throughout the trail. The waterfall was amazing. I’m 17 weeks pregnant and in decent shape. The trail took me 6.5 hours to complete. I would recommend this to anyone with a sense of adventure however, there are slippery rocks and towards the end some rock climbing. I would not recommend this trail to young children, elderly couples or pregnant woman. Plan to wear hiking boots or sneakers, leave with plenty of time and bring lots of water. Expect to fall a handful times and be very sore the following day.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

The Kalalau trail is super crowded and touristy. Lots of kids and folks wearing inappropriate footwear, with no real understanding of trail etiquette. Once you get past the beach where most people stop for the day and then turn around, the trail becomes much less crowded.

Bring snacks, lots of water and give yourself more time than you think to complete the 8 miles roundtrip to the Falls. We met several people along the way who said they were "crunched for time" and couldn't finish the hike to the falls. Such a bummer. You go all that way, why not finish what you started?

Get to the trailhead EARLY. I can't stress this enough. Parking is a bit of a nightmare. We got there right before 9am and parked in the overflow parking lot. Ideally, you'll want to get there by 7:30am to beat the crowds.

Wear trail shoes with good grip, this will help a lot. Prepare for mud and possibly rain. There are several stream crossings along the way that will have you walking through the water and navigating slippery rocks, so get ready for an adventure. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking and the Falls are unreal! Plan to swim, have lunch, take photos and hang out. Enjoy!

3  Thank SFLF2013