All reviews cinnamon rolls room was clean pancake maker free breakfast nothing fancy downtown area an older hotel broad st uga campus staff was friendly would definitely stay here again within walking distance of downtown rooms are small great room pleasant stay enjoyed my stay classic center
Reviewed 7 May 2016

Very comfortable and sparkling renovation so it all looks new. Great morning breakfast bar included with the room rate. All though the rooms don't have safes or robes like we are used to. But it is an "express" after all. My super hot trophy girl friend says since we were offered breakfast it cancels out the lack of robes in the room :) Easy walk to down town restaurants, and campus.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Sarah P, Social Media Representative at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2016

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Athens, Georgia. We are delighted that you enjoyed the breakfast and closeness of the property to the downtown area. We welcome the opportunity to exceed you expectations in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Sarah P.
Social Media Representative

Reviewed 5 May 2016

I went to visit my daughter in UGA and my son stayed with me. After a mishap during checking in, it went quite well. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the morning breakfast was great. and the room very comfortable.

Room Tip: Very convenient to downtown Athens.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Taylor D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2016

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your stay in Athens,Ga. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our friendly staff,breakfast and the overall value of the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had a mishap at check in, I would love to hear your feedback about it and see if there is anything we can improve in the future. Please contact me directly by calling the hotel 706-546-8122.

Reviewed 29 April 2016

Every time I come to Athens for a business trip I always check here first. I am extremely familiar with Athens, so love the location. I have read several comments, Its in a bad area. Or They don't feel comfortable going out to their car. The surrounding area is completely safe and its basically on campus. The GM Andrew is one of the best. Very considerate and personable. Andrew will go out of his way to help you out. We enjoy the breakfast also. John Dillard Ad Rep

Room Tip: I prefer 3rd floor towards top middle
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Taylor D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2016

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel,breakfast,and felt it was clean and safe. We really value all of those characteristics and glad you recognized our efforts! Our team here at the Athens Holiday Inn Express thoroughly enjoys working with our GM Andrew and am so excited that you felt he is one of the best, we would most definitely have to agree ! We look forward to seeing you again soon !

Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a weekend stay for the UGA sprung football game. Hotel was booked solid. Staff was accommodating as one would expect. Nothing extraordinary. Check in was easy and efficient.

Neighborhood is somewhat worrisome. Felt a bit uneasy leaving my car unattended.

Room number 131 on first floor was kind of small, bathroom was okay. Unfortunately it was right next to the elevator which was always running. Up. Down. Stop. Repeat. Obviously people need to use the elevator but something should be done to insulate the noise. The dull noise was very distracting and made it really difficult to fall into deep sleep.

Our room was either hot or cold. Never could get it regulated comfortably. Nice linens and pillows. Tv remote was worn out and did not work well. Complimentary Hygiene items were nice.

Saturday breakfast was ok. Coffee really was good. Staff was very nice. Dining room was packed and they did a great keeping food choices restocked.

Pretty high rate for a below average stay. :(

Next trip to Athens will not include a stay here.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2016

Dear hydiekirkland,

Thank you for staying with us during the UGA spring game and for reviewing our hotel. We are sorry for the disturbance you experienced from the elevator right next to your room. We are working on adding more sound insulation and making adjustments to the elevator to help alleviate noise in that particular room. We also adjusted the air conditioner's sensor in that room to help regulate the temperature. We are located in the downtown area, however, we have maintained great relationship with our neighboring community that continues to provide a very safe environment for our guests.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the bed linens and complimentary amenities in your room as well as the great breakfast and coffee. We hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again.

Andrew W.

Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

I only stayed here one night, so it takes something special to earn a review this bad. This bad review is based on what Holiday Inn Express leads you to believe you're getting, so understand this is a Terrible rating because it's supposed to be 2-star quality (in terms of hotel fanciness).

1) you pull into the parking lot and immediately in front of you is a covered pull-through that looks altogether too much like a small front desk entrance. Don't use it, you can't get in here. Turn to the right and around the corner to find the lobby. 1-star rating for signage and property planning.

2) My first room had a non-functional AC (by non-functional I mean the filters hadn't been cleaned in so long that it refused to run for more than 3 seconds). The door also had to be slammed - hard - to latch. Obviously both of these things are awful. Who wants a hotel neighbor SLAMMING their door??? 1-star for maintenance.

3) after the AC hadn't cooled the room at all over 2 hours, I packed up and headed down to the desk. My problem was greeted by hesitation and skepticism ("are you sure you turned it on?" REALLY?? It's an AC. Every idiot in the south can make them work.). They were "full" and I heard the receptionist tell someone on the phone they only had twin rooms left (I've never seen a twin hotel room..???). They changed my room ONLY after I assured them the current room was untouched, and they STILL wanted to get the maintenance guy to drive out and service the room before seeing if they HAD TO move me - nice. Customer service at the convenience of the desk staff. Here's your reward, kids. 0 stars for customer service (well, it should be 1, they DID change my room).

4) I am an environmental compliance engineer currently in the throes of EHS training, which means I am hyper vigilant to safety and emergency policies. This staff is not trained in emergency protocols. They don't know if they have them or where to find them, and they have NO training for what to do in case of an incident. They SAID this to my face as the fire alarm went off while I was addressing the room change issue. They stared blankly at each other and of the three people, not ONE of them picked up the phone to check with other staff or management or... Anything. They just stood there and continued trying to figure out how to avoid moving me despite the freaking awful inconvenience (it was 7:30pm at this point: 4 hours of driving, 4 hours of technical training, and 2 hours of awful customer service between the hotel staff and my rental car agency).

5) The mattresses have no padding and all four of the beds I sat on were unstable, leading to strange creaking and squeaking from the frames and mattresses. Maybe the box springs were cracked, I'm not sure. Absolute lowest-cost stuff in the most important part of the room... The reason everyone uses a hotel. That in itself earns the full review's 1-star rating. 0 for the bed.

6) needless to say the AC units are cheap and have dust filters that either aren't cleaned regularly or aren't cleaned often enough. They are, however, VERY easy to use. 3 stars: 1 for preventive maintenance and 5 for usability.

7) wireless internet is poorly managed. I was only able to get the login prompt from Internet Explorer and was not able to trigger it at all on my iPhone. It's slow at best once it does work. Don't plan on getting any business done here. 1-star because they have Internet, 0 because it requires a login that I wasn't able to trigger... And I'm QUITE tech-savvy.

8) The alarm clock would not turn off. I had to turn the volume down to get the Christian gospel to stop at 5:30 am. I pressed every single button and not a one made the thing shut up. 1-star for having an alarm clock. 0 for the thing being broken to ON!!!

9) they have breakfast. If you don't want to pay for an awesome meal elsewhere, this is fine... But what on earth are you doing not eating at one of Athens's foodie finest??? 3 stars. It's full breakfast, but it's exactly the same Cisco crap as every other hotel that serves breakfast. Cisco breakfast makes my tummy angry, so it's off to a foodie finest for me! Never waste an opportunity to eat well!

OVERALL:

This HIE obviously focuses on volume and turnover far above maintenance, service and value. I expected at the VERY LEAST a decent bed from a Holiday Inn, and honestly could have had a better one from the Best Western for the same price. I don't know why my company prefers IHG but since I have to pay up front anyway this experience has sealed the deal that I won't be bringing my business to Holiday Inn anymore.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Andrew W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2016

Dear Megan S.,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel and please accept our sincerest apologies for the disturbance you have experienced during your stay due to the AC in your room and your challenges logging onto the wireless internet. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. Safety is our number one priority and I was personally investigating the false alarm you experienced while you were being helped by a couple of brand new staff members. While there can be an initial deer in headlights response the first time any new team member experiences a live alarm, there is always room for improvement. Thank you for helping bring that to our attention. We have had several safety training meetings since then to address that topic. We value your comments and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Andrew W.