“Huge disappointment”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utila
Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

We stayed three nights and only saw someone for our quick 5 minute check in. The rest of the time we were on our own with no one in sight to tell us the wifi password, answer a couple basic questions about the area, help us schedule transport to the airport or help us dispose of the huge tarantula we found in our room.

The art garden is unbelievable but just go to the treetanic bar for a drink to see it. Each room is isolated (I wouldnt stay there alone) and there was no wifi that reached the rooms.

Not worth the price. A hostel on the main road would be better.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Jade S, Guest Relations Manager at Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to read about your awful experience at our hotel. Please know that I take every single review left by a visitor seriously and continuously look for ways to improve our business and service.

I spoke to our staff, and they reported that your party was in and out, and that they did have contact with you on several occasions:

To return your passport which was found, and also to offer advice on how to get to Water Caye by visiting Bush's SM, and finally to remove an arachnid which found its way into your room - Did these interactions not occur? Your honest recount of these issues are crucial to us, as it would mean that a staff member has lied to us.

Our hotel is situated inland and in the tropics, therefore contact with critters is something to be expected when visiting this part of the world.

We are very vocal about this on our website, and I apologize profusely for it being in your room, as our cleaner failed to report a ripped screen, which was likely the point of entry for this harmless arachnid.

We are implementing new strategies to avoid this in the future. This includes replacing every single ripped screen found, a weekly maintenance checklist, as well as offering vast information surrounding arachnids, their habits and what to do if one is found.

We realize that the lack of internet in our rooms is a focus point for some of our most recent guests and we have decided to make it available all over the property, and not only in common areas.

As for isolated cabins, this is the first time we've heard this from a guest. Typically our customers seek privacy and find no problem with the location our cabins have been built in.

Jade Seahorse offers its guests one of the most safest and secured properties you could sleep at on this island, so to read your review concerning safety at our place is alarming to us, and our island as a whole.

Our property is surveillanced 24/7 by security cameras in every key location; Including the Canip tree that is directly abutting the Cuarto Qu Arto cabin.
We also have a watch guard that makes a round every hour past 8pm because the safety of our female and LGBTQ guests is important to us.

Customer feedback is gold to us, and every time we host a visitor we look forward to providing the best service possible and your review (positive or negative) helps us accomplish this.

Please know that if you do decide to visit Utila in the future, the Jade Seahorse is eager to make right by you in whatever way that we can.

Tempy
PR Manager

Reviewed 15 November 2016

You might think my review is biased because I worked at the bar whilst living in Utila, but I don't care I just wanted people to know about the bar. I have lived in Utila nearly a year now, and I'm always surprised when new people come onto the island and ask where the best bars and restaurants are and then tell me they have never heard of Treetanic (The Jaded Seahorse) It was voted one of the most beautiful bars in the world and I can see why, Neil has worked tiresome hours/days/weeks/years to produce one of the most spectacular bars, every part of the establishment is covered in beautiful decorative art, most of it recycled materials on the island. I recommend people to walk round during the day so you can see it in the light. At night the bar is alive, it does not play the same songs on repeat (like pretty much all the other bars on the island) The drinks are slightly more expensive (like $2 dollars instead of $1) but it's worth it for the amount you get. The place itself is massive and sometime they would organise DJ event's there - If an event like that is happening whilst you are on the island - I highly recommend you go - those were some of the best nights I have had in Utila. It also host the Instructor (IE) parties at the end of month - again I recommend you go to those. The place is busy but not rammed, and the atmosphere is unforgettable. The one thing I will mention is the banana spiders, DON'T FREAK OUT. They don't do anything and are high enough in the trees that you wouldn't notice them. The restaurant cooks some of the best food - all the produce is fresh and the staff are welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachael T
Reviewed 14 November 2015

A unique setting with 6 delightful and completely different rooms, each with its own character and personality. A tour around the gardens will go through a good part of your cameras memory card, as there are endless photo objects and places that you will want to record. Rooms are clean, comfortable and well kept. Service is friendly. The only drawback is the popular Treetanic bar that is located within premises and can get loud on weekends.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank John D
Reviewed 16 October 2015

I love it here. I have stayed here over five times and have stayed in all of the cabins. Everything from the whimsical glass offerings to the artistic wood carvings ... I feel in love at first sight. The gardens are spectacular and relaxing. There is a bench swings in front of the cabins that provided a place where I forgot everything. The roof top chill out space located on top of the cabins offer view across the island and of the bay... When the sun hits the glass and tile mosaics... I heard chimes and created prisms that reflected a kaleidoscope of colors... I can't say enough about this place other than the hosts are beautiful people who appreciate those that appreciate and respect their home... I will be back this November... and will add an updated account....:)

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2015

If you want luxury or cheap accommodation this is not the place for you. However, if you enjoy staying somewhere truly unique with friendly service then come to Jade Seahorse. The decoration of the gardens, rooms and restaurant really do need to be seen to be believed. Someone described it to me as Gaudi meets Dr Zeuss, which is as good enough description as any but neglects the natural beauty of the gardens. The artwork will amaze you but the trees and plants are also well tended. We stayed in Fantasea which also had upper decks, the final one above the canopy where you could look out to sea or watch the stars.
Unfortunately only dinner is served not breakfast or lunch but there are lots of good eating options in the area (Mango Inn or Thompsons Bakery to name two). Dinner is vegetarian and excellently spiced and seasoned. You can also eat appetisers in the bar which serves well mixed, well priced cocktails. The cocktail of the day is usually a bargain. The bar area is up in the trees and is made of dark wood. It is sometimes busy which can make the gardens noisy but you can block out the noise if you need to by closing the windows and putting on the air conditioning. The bar does not stay open late and often there is enough natural ventilation through the screened windows to not need air conditioning.
At the end of a week you will still be noticing small interesting details in your room and about the property. Somewhere for people who enjoy the unusual and can appreciate the care and attention that the owner has put into creating this, ongoing, work of art.
Even if you don't stay here do come and have a look, visitors to the gardens are welcome and are encouraged to leave a donation to enable further development. Come late afternoon to see the gardens in daylight and then have a cocktail in the bar as the sun goes down.

Room Tip: Fantasea is probably the most impressive but you do need to be able to handle stairs whilst others a...
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple