“Thanks Cap!”

Captain Morgan's Dive Centre
Ranked #8 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: Close to the night life yet beautifully situated for a chilled atmosphere, and just a short walk away from town centre. Staying in Pirate's Bay Inn gives you the chance to explore Utila and everything this friendly island has to offer, from the restaurants to the beaches and maybe even to search for Captain Morgan's legendary treasure.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

When in Utila, go scuba diving with Captain Morgan’s Dive center!
The diving was amazing, their location and the accommodation were great. But most importantly the whole crew was amazing and very professional.
I was lucky to do my certification course with instructor Sam and instructor Aldo and it was simply the best. Lots of learning and lots of fun
A place to be recommended without hesitations.

utlakevin, Owner at Captain Morgan's Dive Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Thank you for the recommendation and excellent review. It always great when our divers take time to let us know how much they enjoyed their course and time at Captain Morgan's. We look forward to seeing you again someday soon.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"scuba gear"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I cannot recommend these guys enough! I was there for a week initially to do my SSI open water but quickly added on the advanced certification after falling in love with diving and Utila. This is a really professionally run but laid back dive shop. Thanks to Sam, Rod and the best instructor Aldo for the memories. These guys have the best boat and always go to the north side which has the best diving spots. We swam with whale sharks and with dolphins twice during my week there,truly once in a lifetime experiences. Definitely do a night dive. The rooms are big and clean here and the food is cheap and tasty, they have a little beach and hammock area to chill on after your dives. They also host the beer pong night every week which all other dive shops come to, it's epic.

1  Thank Dave S

Thanks for the review Dave, you really did have a great week! Whale sharks and dolphins twice and 2 dive courses in 1 week. We try to dive the north side as much the weather permits. Night dives in Utila are a real treat and I'm happy to hear you agree. Also thanks for saying we have the best boat, I designed everything from the cabin back to the drop down diving platform at the stern. I also designed the rooms you mentioned so thanks for mentioning them as well but in the end it's the staff that makes Captain Morgan's what it has become. I have a strong feeling we'll be seeing you back her again sometime. Hope I'm right, thanks again for the kind words and excellent review.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Such a beautiful place here in utila... the beach at your doorstep with clear blue water. Wake up in the morning and have an iced coffee out on the pier while your feet are dipped in the water.
 Kareem was the best instructor we could have hoped for. Always making sure you unsterstand everything and are ok. I would trust him with my life ! Such a lovely guy.
Woody was also great he took me for my fun dive. Very informative and also making sure everything is ok constantly.
The food is great here too no need to venture out for breakfast lunch or dinner you have it all here.
The only cons are that you cant sleep at night because the rooms are so warm and they charge $15 per night to put the air con on. And 16 people got food poisening from their friday night bbq while i was there, my partner included. Dont order the snapper !

Overall a great stay here.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Captain Morgan's. The iced coffee is addictive and definitely will wake you up. Kareem is teaching my 10 year old son how to dive so he'll be a Jr .Open Water Diver. I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed diving with our Dive Master Woody. He trained here and left for a while but now he's back planning on becoming an Instructor soon.

Unfortunately the power company is privately owned so we pay 3 1/3 times the national average in the US per kilowatt hour so we simply can't afford to give away free AC in addition to free rooms. As for the 12 cases of Ciguatera fish poisoning we have taken filet fish off of our menu as the fisherman didn't sell us snapper as promised but most likely barracuda as you won't get 12 filets from 1 snapper in Utila. Unfortunately at the present time there is no way to detect Ciguatera and no cooking method to render it safe so eating fish in the tropics or fish imported from the tropics carry a rare chance of making you ill, stay away from barracuda! We replaced fish with shrimp kabobs for our weekly BBQ.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon. Keep on diving!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went here for 10 fun dives. The diving is amazing (obviously), however, the passion that these guys have for scuba diving is the real reason why we loved this place so much. I especially want to give a huuuge thanks to Rod for being such an excellent guide under water (he knows the reefs like the back of his hand, he knows where to find Everything!) and also for being such an inspirational person above the surface.
The dive centre itself is spotless in every way. The scuba gear is in good shape, the rooms are fresh and clean, the boat is big, staff is superfriendly and the food is excellent. Awesome vibes (shoutout to Marc)!

We hope to be back as soon as possible! Thank you for making our 2 weeks in Utila amazing!

// Hugo

Thanks Hugo for the review, it's great to hear you and your girlfriend plan on coming back soon after 2 week of diving at Captain Morgan's. We're lucky to have a staff that love what they do. We'll be looking forward to diving with you again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

We visited Captain Morgan’s on Utila me and my partner. I did my Open Water Certification and was a great place to learn and would really recommend it. It is the cheapest place in Central America to learn and a beautiful place to go as a backpacker. Dorms are free when you dive which is a great bonus and the dive school is in a great spot with a dock and mini beach on site and only 10 minute walk from public beach which is nice and peaceful (on weekdays). Instructors are friendly, patient and enthusiastic. I had Sam as the dive instructor for my Open Water course and could not recommend him highly enough, he was fantastic every step of the way. The boat always went to the North of the Island where they have some great dive sites, a tactic which seemed to pay off when speaking to people from other dive schools who remained in the south who saw less. One of highlights for us was seeing and being able to swim with spinner dolphins in between dives. Captain was always on look out for whale sharks/dolphins between dives. My partner did fun dives with Rod and loved it. They have a couple of night dives a week which was a great experience for me who was able to go out the evening that I got my Open Water certification. Overall great 5 days spent here, one of real highlights of our trip round Central America.

utlakevin, Owner at Captain Morgan's Dive Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review. Your right, Utila is the least expensive place in Central America and also one of the best diving values in the world. We've also always tried to give our divers the best variety of dive sites around Utila with an emphasis on the North Side of the island. Thanks again, hope to see you back again someday soon. Keep on diving!