All reviewskayak snorkel tourcruise shiphealthy lunchisla roatanmangrove forestdelicious vegetarianfishspecial giftwonderful excursioncool experiencemahogany bayyoga instructorworld class snorkelingincluded lunchsea fanshome cooked mealsnorkeling spot
Reviewed 2 August 2016

My husband and I just happened to find this little slice of heaven and it was such a wonderful experience. The beauty of your surroundings is incredible, the rooms are clean and air-conditioned and the food is delicious. The owner, Barb, is one of the most genuine, spiritual and special people I have ever met and went over and above to make our stay a most memorable one.
The walk over the mangrove forest showed us something different every day, the view of the ocean was incredible and the pool was cool and refreshing.
Breakfast was delicious and we ate dinner there most nights and the food was fabulous! Don't miss the island style fish and the rice pilaf and make sure and have a Monkey La La.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Upachaya, Owner at Upachaya Eco-Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2016

Sue, please except my apology for responding so late. Thank you for your review. The reason why I built Upachaya is exactly for people such as yourselves. People that want a little piece of heaven on earth where they can enjoy some tranquility, some time to unwind and relax away from the chaos of every day events. People that understand and seek sustainable vacationing and appreciate what Mother Earth has to offer. I hope we haven't seen the last of you, and if you ever come to Roatan again, you keep us in mind. Thank you....Barb

Reviewed 6 July 2016

This was a long time coming....and you must realize that the fact this place comes into my mind over a year over must mean something. This lodge is a perfect gettaway - yet embraces what Roatan has to offer. Clean, personal, and everything you can ask for from a yoga type of resort. You won't be disappointed in the food, hospitality and accommodations, and it's a close cab ride away from west end....A place that I think about time and time again (and I've been lucky to have been many places). Kundalini most proper! Please enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo

Thank you for your review, and for coming to experience Upachaya with us. As you state we are a close taxi ride away from the touristy areas if that is desired, but here at Upachaya you get to enjoy the solitude and serenity without all the chaos. Go visit the touristy areas for a day, and then relax at night in tranquility. I appreciate your kind words, and hope you come back to visit again. With regard to the food, just a clarification: we aren't completely vegan. In fact, we will cater to the needs of whatever dietary concerns guests may have, i.e.: vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy free, etc. When vacationing you don't want to be stressed with having to search for places that can accommodate your dietary needs, so we make that part a non-issue. Thanks again for your review....Barb

Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

My second visit to a beautiful reef Al, master diver, is still as charming as ever. Barb, proprietor, is putting on a new roof so we dined in the pool. They got us back in time, so don't let the cruise ship scare you by saying, outside tours could be late.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Glen, thank you for your review. Come back and see the new thatched roof, it turned out beautiful! I thank you for being a repeat visitor. I love to see new faces, but it is special to see those that return again, and again as well. Thanks for the reinforcement about what the cruise ships say about outside tours. I've been operating tours here at Upachaya now for going on 8 years and we've never had anyone miss their ship's departure.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

Upachaya was an unexpected treasure! While on our carnival cruise we booked a kayaking/snorkeling tour with Upachaya and our lives will never be the same. The beauty at this B&B is breathtaking. The staff was beyond accommodating an the whole experience was educating and breathtaking. I wish I could go back today! :) Food was delicious too.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends

Mikell, thank you for your review. I apologize for my late response. I truly appreciate your kind words regarding your experience here at Upachaya. We would welcome having you come back, and stay for a week in our lodge!

Reviewed 21 May 2016

This was an all-around amazing experience. The driver was a local and very friendly, she and her husband both drive for Barbara (owner) and had great information about the Island. It was nice driving to the location where you could see how the locals live, and to get away from all of the the other cruise line tourists. The Upachaya grounds were beautiful and well maintained, the owner herself was there to greet us and give us a tour, telling us about her eco-lodge and all of the plants and animal life found there. We were in great hands with her kayak tour guides as they took us through a tunnel through the mangroves and then out onto the reef where we were able to snorkel out in the open water. After snorkeling we kayaked back to the lodge where a delicious pool side lunch (included) was waiting for us. If you would like to get away from other tourists and enjoy a private getaway, this is the place to go on Isla Roatan. Also, the cruise ship docks on their own private dock, they try to get as many people as possible to book their excursions through them, filling their own pockets. By going through Upachaya you working with a private company that helps the local economy and not big business. Barbara used to work in corporate America and decided to make a change and create this little paradise to help the locals. This is a great opportunity to help support the local community, and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank kaylie D

Kaylie, thank you for this very nice and thorough review. I apologize it has taken me so long to respond. I very much appreciate your patronage here at Upachaya and your understanding that by doing so helps the local families. All my staff (8 people) are locals employed from the community. I do not hire anyone that is not a local. It is my way of giving back to this island. I am truly blessed to have the staff I do have. They are knowledgeable, trusting, and caring for all our guests. They are also eager to continue to learn all they can on a daily basis.

As you stated, if people are looking to get away and enjoy an experience away from the chaos and crowds, Upachaya is a perfect choice. Thanks again, and please come back to visit us again...Barb