We read about Belcampo in the Wall Street Journal and it seemed like it would be fun. Understatement. All the arrangements were made by the lodge managers Mary-Ann and Ross who were available by email 24/7. At the Punta Gorda airstrip we were picked up by a Belcampo guide, Chan, we later learned was a birding expert and he gave us an overview of the region and the property before we arrived.
On the website all the rooms look great, but I can't say enough about the luxury of our Ridge Suite. It was actually a small "home" which seems appropriate because we soon came to feel like family, both with staff members and with fellow guests, including a pair of howler monkeys camped in a tree outside of our veranda. On the platform of the pool deck we had views of the Rio Grande river and farther out we could see the Caribbean Sea. The pool has a negative edge and at times felt like our private amenity. From the veranda on the other side we could see the howler monkeys and a verdant riparian area leading all the way to Guatemala in the distance. It's a literal rain forest and unimaginably gorgeous everywhere. Did I mention a deep bathtub outside the shower bathroom overlooking the above veranda scene? We even requested and were rewarded with epsom salts to soak in.
We rode a tram down from the Ridge through the lovely forest and arrived at the lodge dining room and on the lower level of the same building a bar and sitting areas with new scenery. Daily activities can be scheduled or serendipitous, there is no where you could walk that did not yield natural beauty. Another tram takes you down to the river level and all paths are cleared and connect back to the lodge or the ridge. Advertised experiences like coffee cupping, farm tours, bird watching and chocolate making were excellent! Other guests also took ruin tours and diving excursions and fishing trips and were equally impressed.
All meals are included in the package and the food is healthy and delicious with variety and flexibility. The chef is readily available and uses the bounty of the farm for her cuisine. Seventy percent we were told.
In June it was rainy, but boots were provided and so was insect repellent. Two minor issues that were not a hindrance to an amazing experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Agritourism-chic in Punta Gorda: a Jungle Lodge, organic farm and a 12,000-acre nature reserve. Set in the verdant hills above the Caribbean coast of southern Belize in the town of Punta Gorda. From our dock you can embark on our tranquil cruises on the jungle reaches of the Rio Grande, or our guided snorkeling and fishing adventures on the Caribbean Sea. Nim Li Punit and many other attractions are located nearby. At the heart of Belcampo Belize is the Main Lodge with our Jungle Farm Restaurant, the Rum Bar, the Jungle Spa, lounge areas, a swimming pool, and observation decks that open to stunning vistas of the coast, the Maya Mountains and a seemingly endless pristine rainforest. Our 16 individual, spacious suites are well appointed with plush beds, screened fresh-air verandas, and spa-style bathrooms with floor to ceiling tropical rainforest views. Belcampo Belize has 16 private suites offering the best in luxury and comfort. A testament to Belize's natural beauty and craftsmanship, nearly every detail, from the woodwork to the tiles to the artwork, is sourced from local artisans. If you're relaxing on one of the canopy beds or lounging on your own private veranda, you will experience the magic of the jungle within the comfort of your room. Enjoy a drink in our Rum Room with ingredients sourced from our own Cocktail Garden. Meals (including complimentary breakfast daily) are served in our Jungle Farm restaurant. We produce on-site more than 70% of the food we serve to Lodge guests. With extensive gardens, tropical fruit trees, and livestock, our day-to-day food production is a hive of activity year round. Optional tours available are: •Snorkeling •Scuba diving •Fly fishing •Birding •Cultural tours ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Belcampo Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belcampo Hotel Punta Gorda
- Belcampo Lodge Belize/Punta Gorda