“A True Jewel of the Carribean”
Review of Maya Beach Hotel

Maya Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
San Pedro, Belize
“A True Jewel of the Carribean”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We have lived in San Pedro, Belize for 12 years and decided to take a trip to see other parts of the country. Our stay at Maya Beach was fantastic! Beautiful beach, great rooms, outstanding restaurant, award winning service, the owners are on property and completely available as well as being genuinely gracious, The rates are extremely good. The wifi works in the rooms and they offer purified tap water in the rooms. Great coffee in the morning!!!!! A very peaceful setting on the north end of the peninsula. No TV which was a bonus not to have the distraction.

What more could you want!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DavidG916

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
BC
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I spent about 2 weeks at the Maya Beach Resort in Feb 2012 and was very happy with the hotel and restaurant.
I was in the Toucan room which had a fabulous breeze off the ocean and lots of space. My room, and I suspect all the rooms at the hotel, are not like many hotel rooms. There is no fridge or tv or phone in your room. I liked that, but if people went there expecting those things, they could be disappointed.
The room was great and quite quiet.

The hotel is right on the beach and there is plenty of space to sit in a hammock or hang out by the pool.

The hotel staff go out of their way to make sure you have the things you need and that you have any tours or day trips arranged.

The restaurant was fabulous. I was lucky enough to be there over Valentine's Day and got to sit in on the 10 course dinner that husband-owner John prepared with his staff. It was amazing Truly one of the best meals of my life.
I ate almost every meal at the hotel and was always very satisfied, to say the least.
My only issue with the restaurant was that there was one waiter/bartender who wouldn't wait on me, no matter what, or so it seemed.
He would come by the folks hanging around the pool and bring drinks and food for the people on each side of me, and would magically disappear before I could place an order. Every time, for 2 weeks. I got the impression he wasn't a fan of diversity because he certainly could chat up the pretty girls but I could have died of thirst in a chair right next to them.
Aside from that blip, which I chalk up to personality rather than the hotel/restaurant itself, I think the place was close to flawless.

The restaurant was packed every night and clearly people were coming from other places in Placencia to eat there, because it is completely worth it.
And really, for the quality of what you receive, everything is very reasonably priced.

I'd certainly go back to the Maya Beach Hotel if I was back in Placencia.

Room Tip: I liked the Toucan room, but the desk staff will help you pick a room that suits your needs
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank EastsideSpike
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I just returned (March, 2012) from a week at the Flip Flop Palace, the adjacent beach house of the Maya Beach Hotel, run by Ellen (from Colorado) and John (from Sydney, Australia)...a delightful and truly helpful couple.

All the comforts and privacy of your own place, on the beach, with a deck to have your morning coffee and feel the gentle breeze. Your accommodation comes fully outfitted with kitchen, cooking utensils, and all other necessities, or if like me, simply go next door to the Maya Beach Hotel's top-rated restaurant (Belize's #1 eatery!) - The Bistro. Excellent menu, local specials each night, international wine selection, and a lot less expensive than anything comparable in the States.

I highly recommend for a couples getaway, where you can relax by the pool or take a short bike ride into Placencia visting a host of local boutiques, walk The Path, have coffee and lunch or simply meet the locals...some of the friendliest people around. Ask about local tours, too. Marlon at the front desk, or Ellen are happy to accomodate...they arranged three separate tours for me and made it all so easy.

Have fun!

Room Tip: The Flip Flop palace - their house next door - gives you privacy and comfort with all the access to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BobtoBarbados
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We arrived without a reservation and were fortunate enough to get a room. A excellent location away from the bustle of Placencia, but close.

Right on a beautiful stretch of beach and very nice rooms. An attentive and professional staff and some of the best food you’ll find anywhere.

Highly recommended

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We chose this hotel according to the reviews we had read on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed at all. I really want to thank the staff which has been so kind and helpful. They even found a way to send me my iPod back to Canada!
The restaurant is awesome too!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keaturtle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
11.6 km away
26.0 km away
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Maya Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!