Pelican Beach - Dangriga
USD 201*
Coconut Row(Hopkins)
USD 109*
USD 104*
Thatch Caye, a Muy'Ono Resort(Coco Plum Cay)(Great Value!)
USD 284*
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
USD 142*
USD 137*
USD 190*
  • Breakfast included
Belizean Dreams Resort(Hopkins)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssouth water cayeplace to staymain buildingtropic airfry jacksthe staff were extremely friendlythatch cayewater pressuretheir livesfinal destinationfood itemsnice sheetsquiet spotsmall airporthuge deckgreat stopoversister hotel
Reviewed 11 March 2018

My wife and I stayed for one night in early March, and we were not particularly impressed. The hotel itself is comprised of two buildings. The main building, which contains some rooms, the restaurant, meeting room, etc and a smaller two story building which is only rooms. We stayed in the main building. I suppose there is a level of charm in the main building. It's a little worn around the edges. You will see strange little things like that there is no door knob on the door to your room, or that the door to the bathroom was placed too close to the wall for even moulding around it. Our room seemed dingy, with heavy storm windows, missing/low wattage lights, and a strange smell from the bathroom (neoprene? as if someone had a wet suit drying in it). It was not very welcoming. One lamp would not work... well, after 3 hours it turned itself on. Loose bulb? The building is right beside the airport (the water end of the run way is adjacent to the back of the property). They are quick to point out that the airport does not operate at night, which is true, but the flights do start fairly early in the morning (6:30? 7:00)? This can be a problem if you really want to sleep in. While you sit on the patio eating, you can watch the Cessna's taking off over the sea. It's worth noting that the patio is this places best feature by far.
The bed was very hard and you could hear a bit of thumping and banging from the other guests. Not a lot, but with only a few customers in the hotel, I would expect that if it were full, it could be quite loud.
We wanted to shower and turned on the hot water for a minute, but only cold came out. After waiting a bit, we called the front desk. They said someone would come to look at things, but they had to come from town. They suggested we let the water run longer, which we did. And yes, some hot water did arrive. I did not time it, but it seemed like 4 minutes. There was not a lot of water pressure.
The staff were interesting. Friendly and laid back for sure. Everyone seemed to be new, in training, or mildly confused. The front desk girl had a tendency of saying something quietly, and then pretending she did not know what she has just said (e.g. she said something which sounded like a neat local saying, but I did not catch all of it. But when I showed interest, she claimed she did not know what she said, as if she felt it was inappropriate and was worried she would get in trouble. I would not have been offended and no amount of smiles and asking would get her to repeat it). She did this more than once.
The restaurant was similar. The food was good. Home cooked. The breakfast was very enjoyable, with eggs and fry jacks, etc. Unfortunately, with some substitutions, the waiter got confused, and it took 4 tries to get it right. We had to be ready to meet a pickup, and it took over 30 minutes to get the breakfast bill right. Meanwhile we are seeing our time run out.
So, to summarise: The staff is nice, but largely untrained and struggle to achieve any real level of customer service. They are just people who are hanging out at the hotel while thinking about what they are doing after work. The hotel is clean, good air conditioning, and is trying to be a higher quality place, but the attention to detail is so sorely lacking to even come close to achieving that. Maintenance is so so (e.g. dock was pretty weathered and missing a board near the hammock). The small sandy beach is weedy, and could be swam, but I do not think it would be a great experience. However, that said, Dangriga is a small town in a moderately poor central american country. I believe this is the nicest place in the town. Probably by far (we walked through the town). And I think that some of the other rooms are nicer (walking through the halls, I thought other areas and rooms looked more charming). If you need to stay in Dangriga, I think this is probably your best option. It's clean and has good air conditioning. If you are about seeing the Belizean people, going slow, this is a decent option. If you need a place to stay one night, this is a decent option. But, it is unlikely this place itself will be a highlight of your trip. Around 10 years ago, a friend and I flew into Belize during a tropical storm. The first place we stayed was a water front cabana, and after flooding out, we went to a hotel similar to this place. In contrast, this second hotel felt great. That is what this place is. Something that feels good after staying in something really basic.
It is over priced, at around $169 USD. It feels worth around $80USD. It is where you rest your head and go an do the cool things that Belize has to offer.

Room Tip: Supposedly some rooms have been upgraded
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2018

beautiful little old world place, in the north of dangriga. we had room #1 on the corner upstairs, wonderful ocean breeezes always, listen to the waves and hang out on the balcony. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Food was very good. We liked it that not many tourists are there. Local people stop by for lunch etc. You can take a dip in the ocean out front. but it's not much of a beach. we were disappointed that you can't really walk along the beach and Dangriga doesn't offer much incentive to wander around. We had a car and went to Hopkins often ( half an hour away) for a little more action. All in all we had a wonderful relaxing time in this lovely little spot.

Room Tip: we liked our upstairs oceanview room with fan
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2018

The staff here are friendly. The weather was rainy and the place seemed almost empty. Our room was in the main building and was VERY basic with no pictures on the wall. Our large bed was actually made up of two smaller mattresses and was extremely uncomfortable; we asked them if they could switch them the next day and they did put a full mattress on. They didn't really seem to be ready for us; a single towel was all we had until we asked for more. Ironically, the room rate is based on single occupancy only so we had to pay $35 US more for the two of us! With one towel and no breakfast or anything else included. Dangriga doesn't have many options for hotels so we had to go with this one but you definitely pay an inflated price. If you can, stay in Hopkins instead.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2017

Don’t arrive expecting a five star resort; that doesn’t exist here. Rating is relative to other properties in the area. For what it is, the hotel is fine. The proximity to the airport is key; it’s literally walking distance, even with bags. And, a good thing, since they never sent the shuttle to pick me up as had been pre-arranged. Restaurant is good. Waterfront beach is charming.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank CoolGeek2013
Reviewed 12 December 2017

Stayed here one night before catching a flight. The staff at the front desk were great, very cheerful and helpful. I arrived from an Island Expeditions tour several hours ahead of normal check in and said I was fine to wait but they gave me a room right away.
The restaurant staff were hit and miss-at breakfast I got coffee and a menu immediately then sat for another half hour before she came back, not like she was busy, there was no one there but me. The night before at dinner I had an excellent waitress (Jackie?). They have a big menu and feature local specials each day but the food and coffee at all three meals I had there were lukewarm at best . I find Belizean food in general pretty blah so no point commenting as to taste or quality.
The room itself was fine, AC, good hot shower, bar fridge, comfortable bed and a huge deck with a hammock to look at the ocean, and see the little planes coming and going from the air strip next door. The airport is easy walking distance but I took their offer of a ride only because it was raining.
They have complimentary kayaks and the water is shallow quite far out so a really nice beach for wading and swimming. I only saw 2 lounge chairs in the yard, it would be nice to see more of those down by the shore under the palms.
From what I saw of Dangriga, this is your best option

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo