All reviews budget hotel sister hotel free continental breakfast bars and restaurants burns avenue room with air conditioning perfect location small bathroom local fruit recommend this hotel clean sheets tour companies hotel is located ko ox han nah hot shower cable tv king bed
Reviewed 25 July 2018

The Venus hotel is a lot lovelier than the pictures indicate. The rooms were impeccably clean. There was construction going on while I was there and had I not been up early to tour, I think it would have bummed me out. The hotel can be difficult to find the entrance, just go first street off the square and it's there. You are in a perfect location, being able to walk to every restaurant and tour company and even up the hill to the sites. The people are very nice. There is a balcony overlooking the square. The "breakfast" isn't really anything, but you are feet away from cafes that have good coffee, if not the best food.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the square for a view. Get a room inside for quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

I booked my stay online only for one night as they did have available rooms for other days I stayed. When I arrived the staff was really helpful and nice. They showed me the room but it had a smell of mold (they explained that the room was just mopped so maybe that’s the reason of the smell, maybe that’s true but I really can’t stand it) so they gave me another room which didn’t had such a smell - thank you I really appreciate that! Room had two windows but you couldn’t open it (maybe for safety reasons). It was basic (not what you see in the pictures) but for one night stay it was ok, the linings where clean and the bed was comfortable. Also they accept credit cards which is really useful. As well as I had the recommendation for the tour company- they send me to Roody with how I booked 3 tours and was really happy. Thank you it was a good recommendation! They serve small breakfast which was quite nice (cerials,muffins, coffee, bananas),but you don’t get water and just the groups of one company can have it (which is sad) and for small bottle you have to pay 2 belize, which is way too much. Any way I stayed 3 more nights in San Ignacio at the other hotel on the same street just 1,5 min walk - Western Guesthouse which was so much nicer and had better price so this is the one I would definitely recommend (though no breakfast, but you have a nice kitchen with coffee, tea and free drinking water).

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2018

The place is nice for one night, perhaps two, because the area around this hotel is rather noisy. The central location makes is a good option for logistics and the price is fine in comparison to many others, but in my opinion, Belize accommodation prices are way overrated overall.

Room Tip: Ask them to show you the rooms before staying there.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Awful hotel! Incredibly basic rooms, uncomfortable beds, and hotel staff unconcerned with customer service.

There is a pool and a bar, however you have to walk 10 minutes to another hotel to use their facilities.

But the biggest issue is air conditioning. For some reason the hotel think it is acceptable to install air conditioning in each room, however then withhold the use of the facility and request a payment of 15USD in cash for each night of your stay to use this. The rooms are incredibly hot, some do not even have windows, and yet to use the air con you must pay additIonal money. Completely unfair and basically a method to fleece more money from their customers (anyone who has stayed here will know that air con is utterly essential for this hotel).

Do not stay in this hotel, there are many others close by that do not take advantage of their patrons in this way!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Matthew P, Manager at Venus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Sorry for the misunderstanding that you my have. Our staff try their best to make all customers satisfied. The reason they were charging an additional fee for air conditioning is due to the group you came with. The group only pays for fan prices which does not include air con. We do not try to fleece money from customers, the staff was doing their job informing you in regards to the additional fee. We will bring this to the attention of the group leader so that they can inform their guests upon arrival.

Once again we do apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

I read all the reviews I could to be prepared for my journey to this hotel. I'm totally a budget traveller and if it can be avoided, I prefer not to use a taxi / airport transfer that's not free. Based on my research, I took a taxi to the bus station then from there, took a bus marked Benque. Belizeans are really nice people. A very nice airport worker was happy to answer some questions. We found out Benque is the town after San Ignacio so we were good to take that bus. We were lucky to catch one that was not a school bus lol. It had very nice AC and the storage underneath. We were not so lucky heading back. At the back of the hotel is the park is where the bus stops. People know of Venus. The bus driver's collector pointed it out to us when we asked.
Our trip here was in the 1st wk of Feb. Weather was mainly gloomy. It rained about half the time we were there. We didn't feel the need for the pool at their other hotel. I got the AC rooms and didn't think that was totally necessary either not that I would have chanced that.
The weather made it a little challenging to make plans. What we knew for sure we were absolutely doing was Tikal. We did that with the help of Belizean Adventure trails. If you're headed for Scotiabank, you'll see it before you get to the bank. They have a nice van to take you to the border and then they can arrange their Guatemalan contact to pick you up from there and take you back. It was the best price I found. The guy I talked to in Paz tours was a jerk. By the way when you do things this way, you have to be prepared with Guatemalan money. They will only take cash for the park tickets when you get there. The tour guide also insisted on cash. I never wanted to hire him in the first place but it was my brother's treat.
The weather made it impossible to do some of the things we were considering: Xunantunich was not accessible for a couple of days and neither was 1000 foot falls. I wasn't interested in ATM but that was closed too.
Cahal Pech and the Iguana project were easy to get to by foot but we still got some rain which was a downer. The souvenir shop in Cahal Pech had way better prices on their paintings than what I found in the farmer's market.
The farmer's market is not very big but it's pretty much the only place you can go to grab some local fruit. I was a little disappointed in the selection but there is such a thing as seasons when it comes to fruit. You'll find out about that too when you order juice in the restaurants. The great thing about it is that you always get something fresh because they only sell what's in season. One lady had homemade jam made of the local fruit and it was really cheap.
FYI they will take US$ everywhere and I'm pretty sure you were getting a better deal using your US money than exchanging to Belizean at a money exchange or ATM. It's really easy math too. Just divide their price by half. I made sure I had plenty of small bills before I flew over. What they don't like to take is credit cards. So you will still probably end up getting more cash at the ATMs like we did.
Breakfast at Venus was ok considering that it's free. For all our other meals, we ate at Pops, Cenaida's and Ko-Ox Han Nah. Pops has great breakfast. Their fry jacks are the best and if you know you're taking the Belize Express water taxi, they have coupons for a 10% discount. We used it. Cenaida's papaya lime juice was really good. I liked the whole grilled fish and sour sop juice at Ko-Ox Han Nah.
There are plenty of convenience stores within a block or so from the hotel and the prices weren't bad. We often bought water and we were able to pick up spices to take home too.
I used laundry service once. The hotel doesn't have it but one of the workers pointed out the building to me. I think I paid $7US for one load. Washed and dried but not folded.
I did hear that the night time desk guy is a taxi driver. They told me he had someone working with him too and he was the one who was available when we wanted to try to go to 1000ft falls. He said it was totally inaccessible after all the rain they had. He offered to take us to a park and the blue hole instead and we agreed. We wished we spent more time at the blue hole.

Room Tip: plenty of tips in my review
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family