All reviews tree house outdoor shower black hole drop ian anderson botanical gardens cheese tasting the river canopy view howler monkeys buffet style an adventure other guests treehouse room cheese making family style jungle lodge breakfast and dinner
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Stayed in March 2011.

Stayed for 2 nights and did the waterfall and cave tubing activities which were awesome.
Guides were nice and it was a great balance of adventure and safety.
They could've done a better job at explaining the activities in more breadth and what's required physically as some of the guests got more than they bargained for. So make sure you are fit and up for the task (as mentioned on their website) Food was an average buffet and you sit at big communal tables. Nice way to meet people and compare activities and Belize stories. We had the Canopy View Tree House which was brand new then and simply stunning. A real hike up steep stairs from the main area, but worth it.

We did not do any kind of inclusive holiday with them. We came with our own car, parked there and stayed 2 nights. So maybe different from others. We loved it & wish we had stayed longer.

Room Tip: Go for the Canopy view if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed at this Caves Branch lodge in January 2012. Although an amazing time, We had several mishaps. It has taken me this long to write this review because I was torn because it was that amazing! First we were forgotten at the airport. The lodge was wonderful, the staff superb, and the guides top notch. The travel company "arranged" for 5 days on San Pedro Island, after spending 5 great days at Caves Branch Lodge. WE are dropped off at the water taxi terminal and were told someone would meet us at the island terminal. No one showed up for us, again! So after waiting an hour we take a taxi, which we had to pay for and the supposed driver that was to meet us there was already paid for. We arrive at our hotel and they tell us we do not have reservations! And they can not help me. Luckily I have my confirmation papers that i printed out before leaving home. Somehow after being firm and very upset, they call Ian Anderson's tour company (Caves branch tour company) and we get a room. At this point i send several emails asking about our prepaid tours and such. I was worried we would not be getting what we paid for. No replies from 7 emails voicing my concern! It almost works out well, one tour we could not get but we were reimbursed. Come to find out out someone did not do there job at Ian;s Anderson Tours and they did not send our hotel the money. But they took care of it. WE get home and Larry calls me, the same Larry that our driver called assuring someone would be at the island terminal for us.He explains that the agent working with us left and things were overlooked. The second half of our trip was never charged to our card even though we had confirmation papers telling us it was. So they charge us for the second half. which after researching our card we did owe, TWICE! we work it out and all is good, until now. I was told that Caves Branch would like to extend a great deal for us to come back. Which i thought was great and fair. I wanted to bring my two sons and their wives with us. I have been emailing and emailing asking about the "deal". NO ONE WILL COMMUNICATE with me. I really feel that the company was just using words to think I was being taken care of. The worst part is that overall this was an amazing vacation and we still talk about it to date! I would love to return, but now I am not so sure???? If you choose to stay here, do so but make sure you print all your confirmation papers and phone numbers. Stay on top of your agent. The tours are so amazing. We did the cave tubing (wear long sleeves to protect your upper arms from the rubbing on the tubes), the Black Hole Drop- WOW!!! I was so scared before we left and the guides went the extra mile to take care of me, and the ruins. The grounds are amazing and the outdoor showers are a must! Just be sure whoever books you does their job to the finish.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We visited for five nights in June 2011 and are still talking about this trip! We loved every aspect of our stay at Caves Branch. Our only regret was not staying longer! The lodge was in a beautiful jungle setting. The pool was a nice retreat after the adventures. Our tree house was so luxurious! We loved falling asleep to sounds of the jungle. The staff was friendly and attentive. The family style meals were fun. My twelve-year old twin boys had a blast. The adventures were awesome!

The Waterfall Cave Expedition- Wow, this expedition was right out of an Indiana Jones movie! Climbing up the waterfalls and jumping off of them was the highlight of the trip for my boys. It was a short hike to the cave. Once there, we hiked deep into the cave along a river. There were points where we swam or waded through it. We also climbed over, crawled under, and squeezed through rocks. We saw tagged Mayan artifacts. The guides did a great job relaying to us the significance of the caves to the Mayans.

The Black Hole Drop- Adrenalin pumping! The hike there was mostly up hill. It was challenging, but definitely doable. The guides were great about moving at a comfortable pace and taking lots of breaks. When it came time to go over the side, we were all shaking like leaves, LOL! Just do it! The guides know what they are doing; and you are tied to a second safety rope. We always felt safe.

Tikal- Absolutely amazing! Our guide was knowledgeable and shared a lot of history. The grounds and the surrounding jungle were beautiful. We saw lots of wildlife too. Bring lots of water and wear cool comfortable clothes. It was hot in early June. We stopped twice on the way there for breakfast and lunch, and once on the way back for souvenirs.

Zip-line and zoo- We had never zip-lined before, so it was a must do for us. If we had zip-lined before, we would not want to spend a whole day doing this. It was good, but not as exciting as the other adventures. The zoo was small but good. My boys got to feed a jaguar from inside a smaller cage within the jaguar cage. So cool! I'll attach a picture.

Tips:
Arrange for Caves Branch transportation to and from the airport. Not having to worry about logistics was really nice!

Get an all-inclusive package. The adventures is what Caves Branch is all about; and you are a good hour from anything else.

Our canopy tree house had an outlet and a safe.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sharinola
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I didn't really know what to expect - I picked this place solely on the strength of its website and positive Trip Advisor reviews. None of that did it justice. Gorgeous setting, great food, top rate accommodations (at least in the treehouses - I didn't check out the other rooms) and incredible activity offerings. They set everything up, so you just decide what you want to do the next day (explore Mayan ruins, rappel waterfalls, tube down a river through caves etc.) and there is a guide and van waiting for you at 8:30 am ready to go with everything you need. We were there with 3 kids for 7 days and loved every minute of it - never ran out of things to do. The lodge is an attraction unto itself - gorgeous jungle plants everywhere, a two-level pool with waterfalls and bridge, a botanical garden, all set on a river in the rainforest. I HIGHLY recommend.

Room Tip: The treehouses cost more but are lovely and luxurious. The Canopy treehouse, in particular, is unbelievable - two storeys with mountain views and a deck with hot tub.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ilana R
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We really enjoyed our stay in March . . . so many fun and exciting things to do, we want to go back when we have more time to do more!

Loved the accommodations, food and pool. Bring bug spray, a flashlight, long pants and some good gripping sneakers for all excursions as they will not allow you to go without them for safety purposes :)

Room Tip: Treehouse Suites are unique and luxurious!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family