It's a dramatic arrival, banging a gong to summon a boat to cross the river (though the sound is more frying pan than Japanese emperor). Then it's a stride across beautiful open grass, with cabanas tucked around the place and horses trotting in the background.
We had great fun every meal time. It's a "family-style" sit with anyone affair, which meant chatting to other guests and staff - really interesting, open, welcoming people. The food was plentiful and delicious too.
We went on a guided horseback ride through the jungle. It was exciting and varied, going through jungle, teak plantations and open field. Cesar, our guide was friendly and had many interesting things to say. The cabana was beautifully decorated and they were spaced well apart from each other. We enjoyed the pool.
- We didn't go on any of their other tours, but the prices seemed more expensive than San Ignacio, despite being closer to some of the attractions. (Around 20-40 USD pp more expensive, we reckoned.)
- They keep a leopard in a small pen. I think it was rescued from somewhere, but still. It looked really depressed, and didn't have anywhere near as much room as the animals do in Belize Zoo.
- The toilets near the pool were dirty for two days in a row.
- The mosquito net on the bed was a bit dodgy.
Book ahead. Even in low season, the place was full. It's popular with groups. We were sadly only able to stay for two nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a beautiful rain-forest setting along-side the peaceful Belize River sits a jungle paradise. A place where horses roam, parrots, toucans, and macaws greet you with a tropical "Hello". You willbe in awe at the beauty and grace of our jaguar Tikatoo and other animals will delight your stay. Here you'll find adventure, great food, congenial hosts, exotic artwork and memories to last a lifetime. American and local cuisine dining, designer 65,000 gallon pool, 16" computerized telescope, Cafe Carolina, John Carr's Historical Collection, Carolyn Carr Art Gallery, birding experts, tour guides, cowboys and our helpful, friendly staff all ensure your stay at Banana Bank will be an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Booking.com and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Banana Bank Lodge & Jungle Horseback Adventure reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banana Bank Lodge & Horseback Adventure Hotel Belmopan
- Banana Bank Lodge And Horseback Adventure