See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

We booked this simply because we wanted to book something for one evening before we went on to the islands.

So dirty and dark and hot and I'm pretty sure my sheets weren't washed and got bitten my bugs.

The lady who checked us in was pretty cool but the whole place didn't have a nice vibe and was way overpriced too. Avoid - just go straight to the islands and stay there if you can

Stayed: August 2016
Reviewed 3 July 2016

This was the first place I visited in Belize, I arrived very early off a bus from Cancun and didn't feel very safe when I arrived. I wish I had taken a photo as the photos on here make it seem clean and like it has been freshly painted. The floors and walls are wooden but the felt dirty, the bathroom was mouldy and the sheets were stained. I didn't trust leaving anything unlocked, padlocking my bag to the bed, not that I trust that to be a solid foundation. The staff pressured me into eating with them but I would have rathered not to. The holes in the walls made it feel like I wasn't even in my own room. When another traveller turned up I felt much safer than alone with the strange people who owned/ran the place. Not that I could ever tell who was in charge. I 100% would not recommend this place, it is just not the kind of place you want to go to.

Stayed: August 2015
1  Thank Abbie C
Reviewed 7 June 2016

My friend booked our stay at the Seaside, so I arrived without any prior information or internet research. The guesthouse is easily accessible, right across the swinging bridge with a great view of the water. True to other reviews, the house is an older glory, but it still has charm and character. I loved the upstairs porch with hammocks and seating - a great place to spend the hours.
Mitch met us kindly upon arrival and put down what he was doing to check us in. He also immediately arranged for a taxi to take us to the airport the next morning (the taxi driver was a lovely hilarious man). Mitch was generous with the house and allowed us to pick the room we wanted after showing us all the available ones. The room was simple and had a fantastic breeze and view of the sea. The bedding wasn't the newest, but it appeared clean. I did end up with some bug bites in the morning, but I'm not sure what bit me. The bathroom was clean, the shower worked great, as did the wifi.
Mitch kindly directed us to a nearby fruit store, giving clear directions. He then invited us out to dinner, accompanied by a wonderful walking tour of the city. We learned so much about the city's history, stopping at historical buildings and sites along the way.

This is not a place to stay if you want starched white sheets, a quiet room, and total privacy. The house is old, the animals sometimes have fleas, and sound travels. However, the staff is kind, generous, and very accommodating. Stay here if you are a laid back traveler looking for an communal guest house experience.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Treegrapes
Reviewed 1 May 2016

Upon arrival, the main host, Mitch, was drunk as a skunk. He had no record of our reservations that we had made, and insisted that we pay cash because he owed money to some other people and needed the cash. He then kept pressuring us to buy some leftover ceviche they had made the night before. He bickered with some of the other permanent residents of the hostel, making us feel very welcome. The main redeeming factor was the other hostesses were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2016

The guesthouse is within walking distance of most points of interest in Belize, particularly the San Pedro Boat Terminal to Caye Caulker, Sand Pedro and beyond. It's a two-story house that has all the facilities you need: a shared kitchen, fridge with utensils that you can use. My room had 3 beds of only one was in use during my stay. The rooms were fairly small though: 3 backpacks and some other small stuffs around would have been small. The bed was clean and comfortable though, and the owner hospitable.
25 USD p.night is really expensive in my opinion: rates are already 10$ cheaper if you were to make a booking directly with the property (the dorm in my case).

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo