All reviewssittee rivermarsha jofresh fishwater hutbanana breadlobsterrent a kayakcomposting toiletsleft alonefishing tripgreatest placethatch hutin seasonnurse sharkslaid backsnorkeling spotrealistic expectations
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We were actually here in Jan 2017. Had a hut over the water. We brought our own food and bought fish, fresh bread and banana bread on the island. Amazing snorkeling right from the shore , clear blue water palm trees and sand. We loved it. Definitely worth the extra for an over water hut. Great place for independent travelers don't go if you want to be pampered

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Judy A A
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Our stay at Glover’s with Becky, Warren and the team was just perfect.

We researched the island before going and were aware that it would be a “rustic” experience (cold showers, composting toilets, no power). We knew we would need to bring just about everything with us if we wanted to do any cooking in our hut or even make a cup of tea or coffee before breakfast served by the team in the common area.

We thoroughly enjoyed that we were left alone unless we went looking for someone, to the point with only 7 guests on the island we felt like it was our own private island many times.

We stayed in a thatch hut over the water which was devine. There were hammocks to read in, a big double bed, beautiful sea breeze at night, and spotted eagle rays and nurse sharks right off the hut in crystal clear water.

We did 8 dives which were thoroughly enjoyable (thank you Warren and Randy) and we never left hungry from the lovely food provided (we went with meals provided).

We prefer to do things ourselves so the way the Lamont family run their island was perfect for our pace and the peace and quiet we were seeking.

I read the reviews beforehand regarding floating rubbish, or rubbish at the tide mark on the beach. This is not generated from the island and comes in on the easterly trade winds. There is not piles of it but it is there as found on all islands we have visited that are completely uninhabited or don’t employ X amount of staff to rake the beaches of weed and random rubbish each day.

If you are looking for a groomed resort where you are waited on hand and foot then this is not for you. If you want a genuine remote island experience in paradise and have enjoyed camping in the past, then you may well love it like we did. This is most certainly a special place that we look forward to visiting again for another week of rest and relaxation.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kateashore
Reviewed 9 December 2017

I thought I would leave an update based on our recent stay and discussions with other travelers last week Nov 26 – Dec 2, 2017 as I feel there are past mixed reviews and confusion. I can also share a few tips and tricks to make your stay awesome based on my 3rd visit.
Becky (Owner and Operator) Warren (Becky's Son and Fish Provider), Jacqueline (Becky's daughter and person you book direct through), were friendly and helpful throughout our booking, transfers and stay on the island. This was also the feedback from everyone during our week.
You need to know what to expect and also understand what causes people frustration. We only had 8 people on the island during our stay, no over booking issues but I have seen this and understand why people get mad. Accommodation is more like rush seating at a conference;
1. You may be told to “sort it out yourselves” which can make an awkward moment amongst your fellow travelers, is it rude to rush off and make your claim to your chosen cabin and risk upsetting someone who may want the same cabin as you?
2. You may get a choice of a few of a few huts at the time of arrival that have been cleaned ahead of your arrival (this was our option last week, however I wanted an alternative hut and simply asked Becky for a different one that wasn’t ready and she had no problem with this change this change)
3. You may not get what you originally booked in which case you may not get a hut over the water and may be offered an inland hut or dorm….. either way if you know this in advance it is not a surprise but can be very disappointing and stressful.

This whole situation could be alleviated with some simple organization, you pay in advance you get a confirmed hut on the water, and view choice, North or East Facing . They are trying to be flexible to budget travelers also that don’t know where they are going from week to week, come for a few days, extend days, not all travelers are reliable and turn up when they say they will etc. …. However paying a booking company would probably be best…. Not sure if that is too organized….. but it works across all of Belize. …. Some travellers pack a tent in case for the problem that they could be overbooked, I have done the same and it is a worry I could do without.

You need to know that the hut roofs are not water tight, the matrices can be wet and contain mold, we brought water proof matrice cover, pillow cases and our own sheets, unfortunately other people suffered from damp to wet sleeping and this has happened on all 3 visits.

We cooked for ourselves every day all meals except the last (was delicious fish and fresh cookies for dessert), Warren brings in the fish every night and we were able to eat amazing feasts…. We heard the food they provided for the guests was also great.

The island needs a lot of maintenance and I feel this has been neglected in many areas, some essential things like the showers and toilets should be well maintained at a minimum as the showers did not work during our stay. The propane cooking stoves in all the huts were all rusted through and somewhat scary attachments to corroded propane bottles is a very worrying considering this is straw hut accommodation. I burnt my hand due to a pot not balancing well on the stove due to corrosion.

If you have the attitude that this is more like a camping holiday you will relax, enjoy the rustic atmosphere and just enjoy this amazing location.

I must point out that no-one wanted to leave this island, others extended their stay and people will always come back. These issues and bad reviews probably make the island quiet and if they were all fixed they would be fully booked all the time….. I guess I am happy that everyone of different budgets can afford to have this experience and memories that will last a lifetime.

Room Tip: We preferred the North facing huts over the water as they sit over deeper water.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed during low season and as the dorm wasn't working we got to stay in the water huts for the same price as they had lots of availability. The island is a gem and our stay was amazing. We brought all our food for several days and cooked ourselves. We loved the true nature of the island and that things are basic. The place might not be for everybody and I can't tell how it is in the high season but we had an amazing time. It's a wonderful place to disconnect from the world and civilization!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank shermann123
Reviewed 18 April 2017

This place is a gem. It is not a five star hotel resort, and the price shows it. You can order the meal or cook yourself. Cooking yourself is like cooking during camping, and it is not suited for everyone, but if you can handle camp cooking, you can buy their fresh catch fish everyday. I did, and the fish is tasty, but it took me 2 days to get used to cooking and washing the dishes. The staff is friendly and reasonable. This is a family run business, and the staff is comprised of family members. Water activities are great.

Stayed: April 2017