See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 December 2014

I spent here one weekend in April 2014. It is not a hotel. It is a privately owned property right in front of the beach. If you are looking for homely atmosphere, its is a nice place to stay. The property is right in front of ferry service. Also every other thing is within walking distance -- after all the entire island is within walking distance. The owner of the property is very nice person. She can make you feel at home.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Subir M
Reviewed 23 April 2014

It was Easter week and most places were fully booked, so we reserved at Vega Inn. The location is great. There is a house and an apartment duplex on the property. The owner lives downstairs in the house. Upstairs is a large suite of rooms (livingroom, bedroom, kitchen) and a second suite containing two bedrooms (4 beds) with access to the kitchen. We stayed in the downstairs apartment which was set back from the house and thus, got less breeze and was closer to the noises of the busy street behind us. The heat and noise made it hard to sleep. The owner-manager was very pleasant and has added some nice touches to the interiors (curtains, hammock), but the underlying buildings are getting old and need to be updated. And on two occasions, we had large bugs jump out of our luggage (moral: don't put open luggage on the floor)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

This is a delightful property located in the best position in Cae Caulker right near the ferry stop and amongst the restaurant culture but the sound of palm trees whisper to you as you sit looking at the crystal clear turquiose beaches.

The property was a very comfortable stay for 2 couples and 2 singles and would fit more.

Maria the owner was wonderful and offered us more towels, free wifi and was extremely friendly. This house and location was the highlight of our three week trip.

You immediately step into Cae Caulker time and feel relaxed here.

It had a worn friendly feeling in the house and is true Cae Caulker style. If you are not expecting 5 star accommodation yet want a homely place to chill out, this is definitely the place.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank schmango
Reviewed 3 May 2012

The apartments, across the street from the main inn/house are a good place to stay. They are basic accommodation with two bedrooms, a kitchen dinner and a bathroom. The layout is duplicated upstairs. The walls are not lined but painted which adds to the beach shack feel. There are plenty of windows and fans for ventilation. The building is set back from the street so it is quiet. All the windows on the ground floor have security screens. You also have access the the beach and hammock area of the main house.This is a nice relaxed place to stay if you are busy during the day and need a place to sleep where 5 star decor is not your style or desire.

Room Tip: Only option is upstairs or downstairs. Either is fine.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank newyboy50
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This place is terrible!!! And extremely overpriced!! I went to Belize for business and decided to stay an extra night and go to so-recommended Caye Caulker. The people at my hotel in Belize City made this reservation on my behalf, not knowing what it was like. We were misled by the fact that the hotel had probably the largest add in the Cay Caulker section of Destination Belize, Belize’s main touristic magazine (www.destinationbelize.com). I think these guys should be a lot more careful on the type of hotels they implicitly endorse by publishing their ads!
I paid US$110 for a junk! The room was dark, dirty, old, and noisy. Bathroom pipes and furniture have rust stains (hopefully that’s what it is!) all over. All the furniture is extremely old and falling apart. The mattresses are a bunch of old metal springs put together under a filthy sheet. The towels they give you are closer to a dirty and stained sheet of sand paper than to a regular piece of cloth (let aside a clean fluffy towel). If you can't see my pictures here, contact me and I'll be happy to provide you with plenty of photos of the dungeon-like room you'd be renting. Also, the hotel in general (an almost abandoned front yard and a crumbling Colonial house) is in miserable conditions, with trash and junk all over the place.
In addition, the lady that runs (and owns?) the place is unfriendly and rude. After checking in at the hotel, I went out for breakfast and to stroll around the island. Then I saw how much better (and even cheaper!) other hotels were. (There are several beautiful lodging options at similar (or even lower) prices in Caye Caulker. Go to those!!). So I went back to the hotel and told the lady very politely that I apologized for the inconvenience but wished to cancel my stay. I had not received any cancellation policy and people in other hotels told me that this sort of cancellation was acceptable in the island, but when I said I was staying at the Vega Inn they said "Ouch, that lady is not very nice. Good luck!". Undeterred, I decided to try my luck. When I did, as kindly as possible, the Vega Inn's lady's first reaction was to call me a snob. I decided to take no offense and remain as calm and kind as at the beginning. We talked for over 15 minutes and she never even offered to make a discount, or charge a cancellation fee, nothing!
In the end, I decided that she is free to charge whatever she wants and that it was my mistake to not have gained more information before making a reservation, and decided to go with her rip-me-off deal and make justice through this review, which I will post as extensively as I can. I could have just walked away and deny any charges to my bank, but I don't think that's fair either.
About the snob part... I think her hotel is okay if you are looking for a sort of back-packer's travel (which I've done several times, myself). But then prices should be adjusted. I would not pay more than US$40 a night for the room I got. And still, given the manager's attitude, I would recommend you to seek other options within that price range.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo