All reviews loved athens golf cart lone star grill black orchid ambergris caye pelican reef bedroom unit sister property flights of stairs dinner reservations miles south of san pedro fish pool bar granite countertops the security guard in town washer and dryer
Reviewed 8 March 2012

What I found was a little piece of Heaven when I arrived at Athen's Gate. After the easy communication and booking process by Rhonda, she offered to also book our hopper plane from BZE airport to San Pedro. She also took care of the taxi to/from the airport/condo. They even have their own golf carts for rent. The cost was simply added to our credit card upon arrival!

When we arrived, we were greeted by a big smile from a man named "E". I capitalized the letter "E" in the title, because without the owners capitalizing on this rare gem, it would just be another beautiful condo. "E" definitely makes this resort a treasure. "E" gave us valuable info, a map of the city with recommendations, booked all of our excursions, cleaned and bbq'd food for guests, bartended, arranged transportation, got fresh coconuts from trees to use for our tropical drinks, washed our dirty golf cart, and the list goes on! No matter what your desire, "E" graciously handled it with a smile. "E's" two assistant staff were exceptionally helpful and as nice as they come!

Rhonda and Joe were on site, and would always ask how our accommodations were and if we needed anything. At the same time, they kept their distance so that we felt as if the place was ours. Wonderfully nice and helpful people. Their property is immaculate, including the sand freshly raked every morning. They have housekeeping and it is a full amenity property.

It was so refreshing to stay in a location where people have an older set of values: trust, communication, and respect. My friend stayed at Xanadu the year before (for a higher $$$ and less space/conditions) & said this was WAY better and one of the best vacations she has EVER had (and she has traveled the world). I have recommended this property to everyone & I am saving my money for my next vacation to HEavEn's GatE.......THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!!!

Room Tip: The 3bd condos are in the unit closest to the sand/best view. The best view is 3rd or 4th floor above the trees (but you have to climb stairs). The 2bd units are in the bldg set behind the pool (the length of pool is the difference between the distance to the beach. Any room is a great room!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank shellie r
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I along with my sister there were 6 of us who stayed in a 3 BR condo facing the ocean. From the time we arrived at the airport all of our needs were taken care of. Our flight from Belize City was arranged by Rhonda who owns Athens Gate along with her husband Joe. Rhonda and Joe (who were from Texas and moved to this beautiful island). are both very nice and seem to enjoy making your trip to their beautiful resort and Ambergris Caye special. Elizar ( all call him "E") who has his office in the swimup bar is the go to guy for any and everything we needed. When we first got there I told him we had left a bag in Belize City. By mid morning the next day my bag was placed up on the bar by "E" fully intact. Everything he took care of for us seemed so effortless to him but was so awesome to us. From arranging for our golf cart which we had in about 15 minites to making suggestions for spa time and good restaraunts. He took care of it all with a sense of ease. All while smiling and mixing us drinks at the beautiful swim - up bar. the grounds were beautiful and spotlessly clean. laying on the beach at night was wonderful. It was so quiet and a wonderful coastal breeze. In the distance you could hear the waves hitting the reef out from the condos. The reef is the second largest in the world next to Australia. Our condo was beautiful and well appointed. Very nice Kitchen all SS appliances and everything you would need to make delicious meals. We basically did a little breakfast items coffee and snacks. On the hugh balcony at night you could see boats and enjoy just sitting and listening to the sea. The town of San Pedro was about a 2 and 1/2 mile trip on golf cart which was a lot of fun singing with the harmonca through the streets. great little shops and restaraunts in town to check out. We esepecially enjoyed Fidos which is a very large Bar restaraunt with good food and drinks and some awesome entertainment. Kelly McGuire and Dusty Barber were amazing and with the flamingo guitars. They just kept playing and the crowd was very pumped. One thing we were very impressed with the people who lived there were so friendly. It seemed like home and we cant wait to go back for a longer stay next time. Joe and Rhonda have some other condos just down the beach that are also very nice Pelican Reef Villas. We walked down several mornings for breakfast where we sat around the beautiful pool facing the beach. We had wonderful breakfast Ruthie and another lady took very good care of us and served us a most delicious breakfast. Ever since we came back we cannot stop thinkink about this beaultiful place with smiling faces that are all so ready and willing to make your stay something you will have fond memories and soooo...We Cant WAIT TO GO BACK!!!

Thanks again to Joe/Rhonda/Elezar and all the wonderful staff at Athens Gate!!

Room Tip: If you can get one that faces the ocean with the balcony it is so nice!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toni T
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Two weeks at Athens Gate Villas with wonderful friends went by pretty fast ! I had my Birthday In Belize concert/party there on the beach under a tent and it was the best one I've had in Belize! Joe & Eleazar set it up beautifully complete with a riser stage, tables & chairs and a full moon ! Big E at the bar knows everyone on the island that needs knowin and set us up with great snorkle & dive trips with pickup at the dock there..and also a visit to the Mayan Ruins... "2012 doesn't worry me..." (from my song "King of the Island"). Hanging out on their beach or pier or around the pool bar was perfectly relaxing.

PLUS.. walking across the street to 'eat at Joes' in the new LONE STAR CANTINA was a special treat. everything I tried off the menu I would and did order again ! Looking forward to next visit ! - Kelly McGuire , Redfish Island Records, www.redfishisland.com

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 467kelly
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My family stayed there for two weeks in January 2012 and enjoyed the condos immensely. We did NOT want to leave! It was beautifully decorated and had everything. Elizar, the guy who works there, was wonderful. We enjoyed chatting with him. He is very accommodating and friendly. The condo area was always kept clean. We enjoyed using the pier for snorkeling and swimming. We will recommend this to other friends if they plan a trip to Belize!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I had a fabulous trip to Athens Gate Resort in San Pedro, Belize. When I flew into the airport I was taken back in times quite a few years to a much more peaceful time, people on golf carts, very few cars and everyone was so friendly. When I arrived at Athens Gate Resort by prearranged transportation by Rhonda at Athens Gate I was greeted by the ever so friendly and helpful driver Alberto. When Arriving at Athens Gate I was greeted by Mr. Joe and Rhonda, they both were so sweet and kind and let me know if there was anything at all that I needed to please let them know. They also sent me to their wonderful pool bartender to lineup any snorkel/dive trips which i did. Everything in the rooms looked brand new, the 2 building are engineered to absolute perfection and beauty!! I felt like the "King Of The Island" staying here. The furnishings were amazing and the view was even more amazing. I also lined up a dive trip through Eliazar (E) with Rico's Tuff Enough Dive Center, did my first intro to dive, it was amazing swimming alongside horse eyed jacks, enormous grouper, sea turtles nurse sharks and sting rays. Also was able to catch a few Kelly McGuire shows while on the island, he is a Belize favorite and from time to time flies in from Texas for some R and R and to do a few shows in San Pedro. Most of his music is written about San Pedro Island, Athens Gate is even mentioned in some of his songs and Ambergris Caye, all of his cd's are a must have for San Pedro visitors and troprock fans as well!!! Anyway, I will never stay anywhere except Athens Gate Resort and would recommend it to anyone that was planning a trip to San Pedro, Belize!!! Make sure you check out Mr. Joe's Lonestar Tex-Mex Cantina directly across from the resort, it is amazing food and the best Chicken Fried Texas Steak in all of Belize I assure you!! Thanks again to everyone at Athens Gate Resort, Mr Joe, Rhonda, Eliazar, John, James,Josh, Rebel and Chino for making my stay unbelievable and unforgettable, I hope to be back very soon!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business