“Fine dining at it's best.”
Review of The Verandah

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Verandah
Ranked #120 of 217 Restaurants in San Pedro
Description: Serving Breakfast Lunch & Dinner daily with a focus on local products with a Caribbean-American flair
Reviewed 5 April 2018

The clean looks of the Mahogany Bay Resort and Beach Club entrance off the main road drew us in a few times. Super nice, clean, so decided to try the restaurant. So happy I did.

It just opened in December 2017, so brand spanking new.

I would describe it's ambiance as understated luxury, almost like a Caribbean plantation mansion. Super high ceilings with fans, completely white except dark mahogany doors, tables and chairs.

We (my family) tried a different restaurant in San Pedro everyday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the week. Selection was based on (of course) Tripadvisor and several travel books. Therefore we tried most of the many of the most highly rated restaurants. This one was definitely one of my favorites. Hard to compare because it is a high-end dining experience. The cost is probably double of most other restaurants we ate at. Nonetheless it was top notch!

Started with the soup of the day. Roasted beet and bellpeppers with coconut milk. Wow! It was so good. Maybe my favorite thing there. Jerk chicken ravioli with roasted pumpkin and tamarind puree and coconut sauce. Also very good. Belizean grown lettuce and kale with lime pepper dressing, toasted pinenuts, and vegetable crisps. The dressing was very light. I like a little stronger dressing but it was very fresh and still very good. I had the special of the day. Plantain crusted locally caught snapper with wilted kale, topped with tropical fruit salsa. Also side of sweet potato mash. It was delicious! All the snapper I've had at all the other restaurants had been very good but this was on another level. Many more flavors and textures all working together. Cold, hot, crispy, flaky, soft, sweet, sour/acid, salty. All there working together in harmony. Can you tell I liked it?

You know a restaurant pays attention to details when the kids menu food is also very good. Best spaghetti I've had in a while. The bolognese was not just marinara with meat added. We know because we had both. Both were very good yet different. The fishy fish (fish sticks) with fries were also quite good.

The only slightly sub-stellar items were the desserts. Don't get me wrong, they were still very good, just a little too sweet for me. The first couple bites were really good, but I couldn't finish it. Had the daily special, homemade peanut butter cup trifle finished with whipped cream. The kids also had a Croco's sundae. Vanilla and chocolate ice cream with chocolate sauce, and cookie crumbles.

The service was impeccable. Probably helped that there were only 2 families at the time.

Lisa Sellers is the executive chef. She was gone for the day but the food was still excellent. Nod to the sous-chef. The menu changes every 3 days, so unfortunately my review won't necessarily be perfectly pertinent for those who follow, but I believe the quality, execution, and service will be.

More people need to know about this place.

I usually don't share photos but I took photos for this restaurant because the plating was also top notch, but for whatever reason, maybe because this is a new listing, I do not have the option to upload photos.