“Relaxing Weekend in Apalachicola”

Apalachicola River Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Apalachicola B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 September 2011

After several months of stressful work projects, my wife and I travelled to Apalachicola from August 26-29 for some much needed rest and relaxation. The Apalachicola River Inn was just what we needed.
Check in was fast and efficient and I was pleased they honored a special Tripadvisor coupon. Our upstairs room was large with a king-sized bed and other typical hotel amenities. We especially enjoyed the private screened-in verandah overlooking the river (downstairs rooms also have verandahs - but they are not private or screened). Although the afternoons and early evenings were hot (after all it was Florida in August), mornings were nice. Sunrises from the room were spectacular, as were views of the passing boats, birds and other sights.
Included with the room were drink coupons - the bar served us non-alcoholic drinks, and coupons for complimentary breakfasts at Carolines, a restaurant adjacent to the hotel. 'WOW' sums up the breakfast experience, with fresh squeezed OJ, excellent coffee and a variety of well-prepared breakfast choices, from traditional bacon and eggs to shrimp and grits. It was an upscale setting, with linen tablecloths and napkins, and a view of the river that could not be beat. Because it was a little warm each morning, we did not dine in Caroline's outside screened dining area that is also on the river.
One day (and each evening) we walked around Apalachicola, stopping in various shops and visiting a very nice museum (their exhibit was on Ice, honoring a famous local resident invented a method to produce ice in the 1800s). Another shop had a wide assortment of nautical items and was fun to walk through.
The business area and historical district are very pedestrian friendly.
The restaurants in Apalachicola are pricey (most with entrees $18 and up), even those that appeared to be informal cafes. We enjoyed sandwiches at an upstairs restaurant one evening (The Verandah). I had a BLT with green fried tomatoes. Both the food and service were very good at that restaurant. On both Friday and Saturday evenings they had a outdoor singer who was quite talented, making the walk around town very special.
Each day we toured a bit - to Port St Joe, a town 25 miles to the west on the Gulf, to Cape San Blas and St Joe Peninsula State Park (on the way back from Port St Joe), and to St George Island on another day. It was a beach lover's paradise!
Our weekend was most enjoyable - we hope to return again to the Apalachicola River Inn, the town of Apalachicola and the area again in the future.

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room for the screened verandahs and views!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed two nights and chose The Apalachicola River Inn because of all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed mid-week the week before school started and there was hardly anyone there, which was fine. We stayed in room 22, clean, bathroom appeared to be recently renovated. Shower was tricky to turn on, but a quick call to the front desk solved the mystery (apparently many have had problems with this, so didn't feel so bad!).
The 2nd floor units have a nice, screened in balcony with two Adirondack chairs and small table, so nice to relax in the evening, early morning risers are rewarded with a beautiful sunrise view. One morning I watched a pod of dolphins feeding in the river in front of our room.
Our room was not cleaned the first day, but a quick trip to the front desk and we had clean towels, plus were given two extra tickets for complimentary drinks that night.
The menu for the complimentary breakfast will satisfy most, something for everyone. The drink coupons are only supposed to be used in the bar, but we were able to use them at dinner the first night at Caroline's which was nice.
We had dinner at Caroline's and the food was awesome, especially the fried oyster tacos.
They do have free wi-fi, but it is located just off guest registration area, at a small table. Tried, but couldn't connect from our room.
All the staff from front desk to waitstaff and bartender were top notch and friendly. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: We had no bar noise, but at busier times ask for a room away from the bar.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank chs80
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The breakfast is included in our price and was amazing and we also enjoyed the free drink tickets which was included in our room price. The location was wonderful and we enjoyed fishing from the dock.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank deniseForsyth
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stumbled upon Apalachicola on a road trip along what I came to know as "The Forgotten Coast". After crossing the causeway, I made a right and drove along the riverfront area. This town blew my mind! I'm completely enchanted. After driving around the town a little bit, I parked, walked around and realized that I needed to stay a couple of days.
The first place I went was the River Inn. Charlotte was working the front desk and she gave me 3 room keys and told me i could have my pick. I fell in love with room #8 and stayed there for 2 days. The room really couldn't be cleaner or cuter. This could be the most aesthetically perfect room I've ever stayed in. It had oodles of charm and lots of color. Whoever furnished this room needs to help me decorate the house I want to buy in Apalachicola.
Two free drinks at the Roseate Spoonbill Lounge (thanks for the dozen oysters, Chef John!), the BEST breakfast overlooking a pristine estuary and sunrise over the water. This place is a BIG slice of paradise. Love it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank dollymama
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed her for only one night, but it made for a lovely weekend! Apalachicola is a charming town and the River Inn is charming in it's own way. While the rooms seem a bit overpriced at first, you will be surprised to find you recieve 2 free drinks in the lounge, and a breakfast that is out of this world good - we had shrimp & grits and an oyster omlet with all the trimmings both on the house! The location is right on the water and you have Caroline's Restaurant on one side and Boss Oyster's Oyster Bar on the other. We had a great selection of Oysters at Boss Oysters which is also right on the water. Shops and other restaurants are an easy walk around the block. We spent Saturday night at the Apalachicola River Inn and walked around the town that afternoon when we arrived, and then spent Sunday on the beach at St. George Island. A fantastic weekend!

Room Tip: For the money, I'd pick a downstairs room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rawlsw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
0.2 km away
32.4 km away
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Apalachicola River Inn? Share your experiences!