“Choose wisely”

Avon Old Farms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I reserved a room here in February for a big July wedding anticipating many of the out of town guests might be doing the same. I selected the MAIN building (for $30 more) and was so glad I did. My friends booked in the Annex and they NOT happy.
My room (#128) had a beautiful & comfy king canopied bed with the most restful pillows upon which I have ever slept! The room was very clean, cool and equipped with Crabtree & Evelyn bath products, a nice touch!
My friends in the annex were housed in rooms that were described as "smells like a nursing home" to "no or little AC with a strong smell of mildew" (as in must find another room)!
Front desk staff was very accommodating. Gave me a coupon for 15% off their lovely restaurant so I could grab a bite while my room was readied. Another nice touch. Check out was efficient & friendly.
Speaking with other wedding guests who reserved before & after me, their accommodations ranged from the previously mentioned nursing home with , no or little a/c type (mostly in the annex) to the spectacular & luxurious room with a dining room & full sofa with their king sized bed for the same price I paid.
Check wisely & inquire thoroughly with the reservations desk before you book.

Room Tip: I was in Rm.128. It was quiet & the bed was SOOO comfy!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank rozoftg
Jeffrey H, Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

I am so glad to hear you had the most restful night of sleep while staying with us. We take every measure necessary to ensure our guests are comfortable while staying with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

From the time we arrived to the time we left the staff was overly attentive. They upgraded our room and it was excellent. The pool area was inviting. The restaurant was wonderful. Give this place and it's staff an a+. They

Room Tip: Stay in newer main hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Thank you for your review! Our staff prides ourselves on attentive service and attention to detail. Its wonderful you were able to spend some time at our pool and experience Seasons Restaurant. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

We went here because of a wedding in town, so happy this was the choice . Great place , grounds are beautiful, the pool was refreshing. Can't say anything bad about this hotel complex and it's amenities. the location is convenient to a lot of places from historic to golfing. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Any of them
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank rham290

Thank you for your review! Its wonderful to see that in between your wedding festivities you were able to enjoy our beautiful gardens and grounds and seasonal outdoor pool. We hope to welcome you back if you find yourself back in the Farmington Valley.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Everyone who travels knows the hotel culture in the USA. It's dominated by the Marriott and Hilton chains and their bland predictability. The Avon Old Farms Hotel in rural Connecticut, just west of Hartford, is family owned and run --and the family goes way, way back. It started the motel and then added on and turned it into a low-rise hotel that is comfortable, relaxing, and a real relief from today's one-size-fits-all hospitality culture. It's a place that encourages big smiles and happy postures. You want to stay on and on.

Many 1940s and 1950s motels in Connecticut were never the neon-signed places we associate with, say, Route 66 in the West. They were brick and mortar structures made to fit in with their environs rather than spoil those with strip mall tattiness. And so it is here. The room is gently calming, with all the things you need --a comfy bed with great pillows instead of the cardboard things today's chains offer, a coffee maker, Crab and Evelyn toiletries, and the internet. The air conditioner is one of those below the window things that lets out white noise but no rattles. A spacious pool is popular with a diverse crowd of kids, oldsters, and sun bathers reading novels. The overall feel is of the days when you checked into a motel and ran right out to the pool as a crucial element of the trip.

Each morning a remarkably full selection of breakfast foods is laid out for the free "continental" breakfast in the spacious and attractive reception area. It's wonderfully sociable there, with families sprawled on the couches, twosomes reading the Wall Street Journal, and the woman behind the hotel desk fielding questions in tones that can draw us all in, if we so desire. For dinner there is the Seasons Restaurant, gorgeously captain's-chaired and white table-clothed yet managing to be unfussy. I thought places like this with style and and easy charm had long disappeared. Thankfully not.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CMcNabb

Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that you were able to truly experience the essence that is the Avon Old Farms Hotel. Our values are rooted in our history but we continue to add modern amenities and evolve to cater the modern guest. I hope if your travels bring you back to CT you have the opportunity to stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

A group of us stayed here over the weekend for my grandmother’s funeral. I did not see any of the ball rooms or other event locations so I can only speak for the general hotel. Check-in went fine, staff was friendly and helpful. Parking was plentiful and easy to locate all over the hotel property.

I was in room 420, which was listed as a ‘nonsmoking room’. I guess since it was room 420 I should have not been surprised, but it was clearly a smoking room. I have asthma which is usually under control, but I had to use my inhaler multiple times that weekend. FYI to turn a smoking room into a non-smoking room you would have to tear out the carpet and wallpaper, not just change the label of the room. Also, as a warning to other asthmatics, the beds have feather pillows and I believe a feather top. The room itself was fine (besides the terrible smoke smell), large queen bed, large sofa, plenty of chairs, coffee table, two windows that opened. We used my room as the congregation point/hang out room since it had the sofa. With the windows open and the door propped open it was a pleasant hang out, located directly across from the hotel lobby and in front of the parking lot.

Bathroom badly needs updating. The hair dryer took 20 minutes to dry my thin, fine, hair, after I let it air dry for 20 minutes. Good luck if you have thick hair. Water in the shower took some time to get hot, but it did get HOT, which was nice.

I visited a few of the other guests’ rooms over in the main hotel, above the lobby and their rooms were a little more updated than mine, though not much. And they smelled more like old people, rather than smoke. Their rooms did not have a couch, but did have a ‘desk’ area with USB outlets, which my room was lacking.

The ‘included’ breakfast was a sad excuse for breakfast. Just a bunch of sugar: mini muffins, cinnamon rolls, yogurt. There was also juice and coffee/tea. Since I was next to the lobby I would run over early and grab stuff to take to my room. My family mostly ate at the tables and chairs there in the lobby.

Location in Avon was great. Right on 44, tons of restaurants and little cute shops to explore nearby. Avon looked like a really cute place to visit, unfortunately we did not have much down time.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, Tracy. I'm glad to see that you found our staff friendly and helpful and that you were able to take advantage of some of our complimentary amenities and convenient location. Thank you for informing me of the issues you experienced with your room. The carpeting in the entire building you stayed in was recently replaced and we are constantly working towards making improvements around our property so I always value feedback from our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
5.3 km away
10.8 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
8.6 km away
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!