All reviews seasons restaurant new england four poster charming hotel we ordered room service main lobby west hartford exercise room pleasant stay upon check the room was nice night's sleep wedding duvet gm
Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

Overall, this hotel was a wonderful place to stay - elegant, well appointed, good amenities for food and beverages, comfortable room and beds. This would have been a better review had it not been for the curt, unwelcoming staff at the reception desk upon our arrival (who seemed annoyed that my booking was made through Booking.com). I might have written that off as someone having a bad day but then encountered a rude, inappropriate reception attendant who checked me out. When I got to the front desk to check out, housekeeping was vacuuming the rug in front of the desk, so I went to the side of the desk that happened to be near the computer, in view of the computer monitor. Although I could see there was a monitor, my 62 yo eyesight wouldn't have been able to decipher anything being viewed on the screen. As the girl was about to prepare my statement, she rudely said "get around to the front of the desk, get away from the computer". Since staff was still vacuuming, that was not simple and I had to straddle the vacuum and electrical cords while signing my bill. Truthfully, I was shocked to be treated in such an un-receptive manner. This will not be a hotel that I would visit or recommend again. We also had breakfast in the Tavern and although our waitress was pleasant and relatively attentive, other staff was rushing - giving diners the clear since that they were overwhelmed. It took a long time to get served, almost making us late for our 11 am check out, after being seated around 9 am.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank SaratogaLynn
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and provide us with what you experienced while here. Please know we do not take this lightly and will address the issues you brought to our attention. We rely on reviews such as yours to make sure we are providing quality service that we are known for. We are disheartened to hear about the experience you had and hope that you will give us a second chance. Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

Avon Ols Farms Hotel is clean and comfortable, the staff funny, friendly, attentive, and professional. The hotel is adding amenities--my room did not, as yet, have an in-room safe; however, it did have an excellent new refrigerator. My only concern was that the doors at the end of the first-floor hall (they face the parking lot) seem to be unlocked all the time. If I am correct (and I might not be), then it might behoove the hotel to require a key to enter, especially after 9:00 pm or so.

Room Tip: You might consider an upper-floor
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience while staying with us for a High School Reunion. We appreciate your comments and concerns and will take them in to consideration. Again, thank you for the review and we hope you are able to return in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

I was very disappointed at the room. The location was second floor toward the rear of the older part of the hotel. I generally love it. The old or original hotel is very quaint, generally quiet (except this time) and clean (except this time). The good: the beds are comfy, the rooms are homey and good size, the coffee in the room is pretty good, the restaurant and bar is right on the first floor and the food is always delicious. The not so good: this room as mentioned was in the rear and at 6am the delivery truck arrived, diesel running, hydraulic lift going up and down for about 15-20 minutes and I had the windows closed and AC on, so my dream of sleeping in ended up being a nightmare, there was blood on the wall by the toilet in the restroom, the toilet paper holder was dirty, there was hair on the shower wall, the ice bucket was all dusty and the feathers were escaping from the comforter. The sad part is I asked to speak with the manager who wasn't in, so I let a message with the front desk person who assured me the GM would contact first thing the following day. I didn't hear from her so I called and left another message and still did not hear back. The disappointment is this is not the Avon Old Farms Hotel that I am used to staying at year after year. The customer service had always been outstanding, not sure what has happened.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Cher1999
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2016

We cannot express how deeply disheartened and devastated we are to hear that you had this type of an experience while staying with us, especially since during previous stays, you have experienced the type of customer service we are known for.
We will certainly be looking in to these matters more and hope that I have enough information from your post to get to the bottom of why this happened. Thank you for taking the time to let us know as we are not able to improve without the input from our guests and I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2016

I have stayed here before and I think I wasn't happy in the past as there were no coffee makers in the rooms... well guess what... a single serve coffee maker with disposable cups. Perfect! I might add that they had a very comfortable bed and a restaurant and bar on site. I travel to the area for work often... I will be staying here again. (I could do without the canopy bed...)

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you noticed the change in the coffee makers. Thanks to input from our guests we saw how important it was to have that available to them. We have room types where there isn't a canopy on the bed and we would be happy to assign you to that type of bedding if it is available. We look forward to welcoming you back and we are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay.

Reviewed 3 May 2016

We have stayed here multiple times. The rooms are dated but clean and the beds are really comfortable. The hotels guest areas are up to date including the restaurant, bar, and event areas. The food and atmosphere of these areas are inviting. The staff makes the visit. All professional and courteous. They went out of there their way to accommodate someone in our party who has celiac disease. Only con, we stayed there the last time for a wedding, late night, 9 am maid trying to get into our room to clean. Way too early for maid service. Overall we will continue to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not in the building facing the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your multiple stays and your comments about what you noticed on your recent stay while here for a wedding. We will look in to these issues and address them. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future and for additional stays after that.