“Good but inconsistent ”
Review of Kenichi

Kenichi
Reserve with OpenTable
Kenichi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 168 Restaurants in Aspen
Price range: USD 31 - USD 40
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hunter Street
Transit: Most local hotels and lodges offer transportation to and from Kenichi.
Description: Kenichi serves contemporary Asian cuisine and world-class sushi in a vibrant atmosphere. In 1991, Bil Rieger and Kenichi Kanada founded Kenichi Aspen, which has since become renowned for its outstanding food and hip scene. With an exceptional reputation established, Kenichi expanded to other prominent markets including Austin, Dallas and Kona. Kenichi is built on a foundation of excellence in food& service.
Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

My first visit this vacation the food was amazing. The black cod cooked to perfection. Perfectly seasoned and truly delicious. Eggplant perfect. Friends salmon also cooked just right. Loved the spicy edamame too. Went back a few days later, and ordered the same meal... Looking forward to it, and nothing came out or tasted the same! What happened? Different chefs on different nights? Even the sushi was not up to par. Not sure I am rushing to return....as you never know who will be in the kitchen! Find and keep chef number 1. Then we will be back.

Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

We stopped in to try out the sushi and we're not disappointed. We tried several things and enjoyed them all. We were pleasantly surprised to find out all rolls were half price during "happy hour". Worth a visit.

Reviewed 14 May 2015 via mobile

Let me start, for all intents and purposes, I am a local. I enjoy going out to eat but, I usually sick to my favorite spots, because they recognize and treat me well. I am also a server, so I am tolerant because I know how stressful the job can be, especially in Aspen.
I went to a Kenichi for an anniversary dinner and was pretty disappointed with the overall experience I had. I left feeling overcharged and unfulfilled.
First off, I called about a week in advance to make a reservation at 730 and they told me that my only dining options were at 630 or 830, so I took the 630 option.
When we arrived we were taken to our table that was at the very back corner of the less than 50% full dining area, most Aspen diners would refuse this table.
Our server was not very knowledgeable about the ingredients of a drink, but "it tastes good."
About 1/4 way through our dinner, a table of 10 was sat directly next to our table, commanding 100% attention of our server, so we sat with empty plates, annoyed with our table placement waiting for our bill.
The sushi was over priced, for fairly small portions and mediocre service. Our bill for two was 100, I still gave a 20% tip. It was not worth the money, I won't be going back

Reviewed 7 April 2015

Several years ago we reserved a table for four and upon arrival were duly seated next to the hostess podium by the restaurant entrance. The notable recollection of that dining event was people brushing back and forth by our table and the wholly indifferent service. This year we decided to give the place another try. Upon placing the reservation we asked not to be seated next to the hostess podium. Upon arrival we were escorted to the far side of the dining room where our table for two was located about 18" off the end of a twelve seat banquet table -- occupied by four grown-ups at the far end and eight yammering brats at our end. Looking around, an adjacent long table were similarly laden with the controlled chaos of feeding time at the zoo. The kiddie section? You've got to be kidding. This isn't Bertucci's. Or is it? Before the waitress made her appearance, the young buck (think kid who tasered Galifianakis in the face in Hangover) next to us started coughing and barfed out something onto the floor next to my wife's plum Ferragamos. His brother leaned over with interest, "that's the sushi", he exclaimed in wonderment. On cue the waitress showed up, "how we doin' guys?". Magnanimously, I asked for my tequila, straight-up, no ice. It eventually showed up through the pandemonium in a frosted martini glass with crushed ice. I complained. The same drink came back 5 minutes later with the ice strained out. "Is that okay now?", she smiled indulgently. Is this the Olive Garden I thought to myself? Never have I been made to feel more like Melvin Udall. Kenichi is a joke. Some of the food, admittedly, was inspired. Some was nothing special at all. The service was amateur hour. The ambiance was ridiculous. And to top I was ill for 24hours after the meal.

2  Thank disappskier
Reviewed 23 March 2015 via mobile

So delicious and fresh! Don't miss this place but make sure you have a reservation it is always packed!!

1  Thank Annette J

Been to Kenichi? Share your experiences!