“Youngest son”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Youngest son”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Great stay,only one issue the crossing at the intersection has a beep for the blind to be alerted to the light change it kept me up every night! since the hotel was empty and I had asked to be moved away from that area and was told it would cost me(that comment does stick with me)Buy the way I am handicapped so please do not even think that I am suggesting any type of modification be done to the crossing.
Ken

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
bakersfield
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I absolutely loved my midweek trip for my birthday present. The hotel staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous with finish carpentry throughout. We stayed in a King suite that had a separate area with a sofa bed and T.V. There are microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms. This was helpful when we bought cheese to go with our wine and were able to store it. The breakfast has a large variety and is healthy. We were upgraded to an ocean view room for free. My husband's first time visiting Avila (I have been with girlfriends and my kids). Now he wants to retire there when we are ready. Very calm and erlaxing environment. We rented bikes and went on a bike trail and had a wonderful time exploring. definately a place I would love to take the family to visit in the summer. The prices are high....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennifer j
Oceanside, CA
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Last week we stayed at Avila Lighthouse Suites because our usual preferred hotel, Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo was booked. We did not know what to expect since Avila has changed so much since we lived in the area 20 years before. Let me tell you we were very pleasantly surprised! We received a fantastic rate for this suite which consisted of two rooms- a family type room with couch, TV, etc and a bedroom with two queen beds. The room was impressively clean, and let me tell you, I am picky about that. It almost looked like noone had ever used the room before. We had a lovely view overlooking the pool on the second story and great view of the ocean. Beds were comfy, rooms were very quiet and there were more than enough towels, including pool towels in the room. Two clean robes hanging in the closet which my girls love. Another great feature of stays at this hotel? A free breakfast with plenty of things to choose from including: fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries, fresh-made waffles, cereals, breads and more. My only complaint about the room was that there was only one small garbage in the room, and with 3 rooms (including bathroom) there should have been more. In light of all other concerns, that one seems silly though. The reservation process was smooth, and they even gave us a better rate than quoted when calling the hotel direct as my husband had seen something cheaper on Expedia (though the room was no doubt in a lesser location). At checkin we received fresh, hot cookies (nice touch), and there was a nice covered and secured garage to park in. The area was perfect for our stay. The town is little, but there are several good restaurants (definitely look up Custom House), the beach is right there and there are several shops, places to wine taste, etc. And the beach- it's right there in front of you, complete with long pier for walking. Next time we return to the area, I will want to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank barb099
Carmel, California
Reviewed 2 April 2012

At check-in the lady was very rude, and it went down hill from there. Our room was ok, but the pool was filled with young kids, so definitely not for adult enjoyment. Went out one day and when we came back after 4:00, room still hadn't been cleaned. Called front desk - more rudeness. I wrote a letter voicing my concerns when I got home, which was totally ignored! Get the feeling they just don't care about their guests. I go to Avila or Pismo Beach two to three times a year, and won't stay there again. It's back to the La Fonda for me.

Room Tip: If you are bringing kids, it doesn't matter what room you get. If you are just adults, pick a d...