Hotel St. Lauren
  • Bar/Lounge
Catalina Island Inn(Avalon)
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)
  • Beachfront
All reviewscatalina islandvictorian hotelfifth floorsmall hillrooftop patiothe main streetshared balconyvons grocery storean older hotelearly checkpartial ocean viewcatalina expressone night stayavalon bayyour luggagerooms are smallpink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I had the most grumpy front desk!!! I was tired by the time we checked in because we arrive in the island early...and the first thing I encountered was an unsmiling, grumpy and "dont care if you felt welcome or not front desk"!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReneeBag
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Convenient to the mainstream of business price was right and room was clean. Front desk was friendly and there is a place to keep your luggage on the day you leave near front desk if u want to shop before you leave the island. It isn't attended but turned out fine for us. The AC could have been better seems like I remember. Wasn't real hot but a room with three hot natured women we always want COLD air. I only wish we could have stayed a couple more days to not feel so rushed.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank agendab
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Hotel St. Lauren was dubbed "Hotel Pepto-Bismol" by our tour guide (I think affectionately) and it's a quaint Victorian building just a few blocks from all the action. We made a quick overnight trip to Catalina and overall we were satisfied with our stay. It was a decent value. Check in was fast and friendly. Our room was ready so I was glad we didn't have to leave suitcases in the unsecured room. (Note that they were willing to keep electronics behind the desk and I don't think there's much theft on the island.)

I recommend room 501 or 511 because they have a shared front deck that overlooks the harbor--the same view as the great patio on the 6th floor. Our room was very large. The other street-side rooms on the 5th floor have cute balconies with a nice view too. But, it's definitely old and in need of some cosmetic updates. The carpet was dingy and stained (the big iron imprint on the floor was humorous!), the TV was tiny (we never turned it on) and the faux-antique furniture was unremarkable. The walls are thin but luckily we had no noisy neighbors. If it's the summer, you might want to check when the patio closes before staying on the 5th floor; when those chairs move around it's very loud in the room. None of that detracted from our stay, but you should know what to expect (homey, not the W).

What I will complain about is the linens. The sheets and towels really need to be upgraded, and the mattress wasn't particularly comfortable. I do like that they had robes in the room.

For the price, location and views, I would stay there again. If I want to be really spoiled I'll look elsewhere but I recommend the Hotel St Lauren with the above caveats.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I can't believe the positive reviews. I'm pretty tolerant but this place is a dump. We stayed in a "suite" with a 12" TV across the room that you couldn't see from our lumpy bed while loud, gas powered golf carts drove by all day. The tub had mildew and there was a hole in the wall. The staff was ho-hum at best but probably closer to rude.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank dsm73
Reviewed 19 February 2012

And spacious, too! I walked up to the hotel at about 8:30 p.m. and the warm inviting light emanating from inside and outside the building made me feel like I was the weary wonderer/traveler finally coming home. Don't forget to go to the rooftop patio for a panoramic view of Avalon! They had everything I needed and wanted--ice (v. important), a TV, (also v. important), a comfy large bed (yes, v. important--I won't repeat this any more)--and a huge bathrood! I had to extend my stay for an additional day!!! Made my birthday a memorable one!

Room Tip: Any room should be a good room...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo