“Absolutely the best place in all of Catalina!”

Afishinados Gallery
Ranked #1 of 4 Shopping in Avalon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Afishinados Gallery, fine fish art, jewelry and gifts that are made by local and regional artist friends. Everything in the store is hand made, nothing is imported. If you need to buy a gift for a fishy friend are looking to add a beachy piece to your boat or home or just enjoy marine-inspired art you will love a walk through this unique gallery.
Reviewed 14 May 2017

I go to Catalina (Avalon) at least once a year. I usually go with a local artist friend and was introduced to this shop last year. At that time I noticed and commented about a gorgeous light blue opal necklace. This year I was there again and saw that necklace and broke down and purchased it. One could call it 'just another gift shop' but they would be so wrong. As the name implies, most everything has a 'fish' inspired theme. Jewelry, paintings, t-shirts, ceramics, sculptures, decorative items, etc... Most all of their merchandise is produced by local Catalina artists and the owner Karen can tell you the story of just about everything they sell, this is not in any way a 'tourist gift store'. Karen's mother also has several beyond beautiful paintings on display. They are not in the business to lure you in and sell you something to make a buck. They talk with you, explain items to you and get to know you. They are more in the likes of an art gallery than a storefront. My artist friend has sold her works there and they sold out and when we visited this past Sat she was asked to please get more works delivered. Karen is an incredible informative person and her mother paints absolutely wonderful landscapes. The other two women Monica and Brenda are also incredible people. You can spend the entire day or more simply chatting with them. The store also has several boats which they sell tours on. If you are a 'newbie' to Catalina, definitely tour the Casino and museum, visit the Catalina art museum and by all means spend time at Afishinados and there is no need to go to the other tourist trap gift shops. This place is the real authentic deal! I'm loving my Peruvian Opal necklace and ready to get more next time I'm there. I joked with Karen that if I should win a big lottery I'm going to buy the store and re-furnish my apartment with the inventory. It's that good, cool, authentic and fun.

All reviews
"island"
in 14 reviews
"tiles"

Reviewed 3 May 2017

The girl who was working that day was really helpful letting me know flying fish season peaks in July but hadn't started yet at the time I visited and also giving me info on tours. She also readily told me which items were from local artist, which was nice.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

I LOVED this gallery - in fact, my whole family did. They had the most unique items, all from local artists. I bought a great flying fish sculpture, but honestly, I wanted at least 10 things in that store. Not your typical tourist shop - very cool items you won't see anywhere else. Worth spending a little more to get something great from your trip.

Reviewed 8 March 2017

Very colorful fun merchandise. I bought some tiles for my kitchen. Nice assortment of " Island" merchandise.