All reviews cookies and milk courtyard deluxe room continental breakfast catalina island steve's steakhouse mini bar two flights of stairs the open air lobby perfect location third floor ocean view rooms are beautiful no elevator green pier beach chairs other hotels every evening
Reviewed 21 February 2014

With a little help from other reviews on Tripadvisor and then pretty much a random pick (most of the reviews from the other hotels were good as well) I chose Hotel Vista Del Mar and it was the right choice. Lovely room overlooking the beach and harbor. as an anniversary trip we could not have asked for anything better. The staff was nice, the hotel was pristine, and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve M
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I travel for a living, and have to say this has been my favorite hotel I've stayed in. The rooms were absolutely beautiful, clean, and I especially enjoyed the fireplaces in each room. Most beautiful showers, looked brand new, and the bed and foldout bed were super comfy. The fold outs have memory foam, and way more comfortable than my own bed at home. As you walk out of the rooms, the atrium area was stunning. gorgeous plants and flowers everywhere. Also the hotel has a spectacular ocean view, that I enjoyed every evening with a glass of the hotels delicious signature wine, which is for purchase at a great price at the front desk. I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and co-workers.You won't be disappointed. Also it is located in the center of town, so that is another plus.

Room Tip: The Ocean View Suites are incredible!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank michele d
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Hotel Vista Del Mar is a lovely place to hang ones hat. It was clean, staff friendly, and helpful and the room was just the perfect size. The small touches and amenities in the room were well thought out. For instance, the fireplace facing the bed, the plushy robe and the large walk in shower were welcome treats, not to mention the coolies and milk, which if requested, can be sent to your room in the evening. Additionally, the continental breakfast, served in the lobby was a great way to start the day. The Vista Del Mar is a clear hit!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank vagabondfromNY
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I decide to get away from the "December Rush" for 2 days and went to Catalina Island... stayed at Hotel Vista Del Mar for 2 nights. It was the best "down time" we could possibly ask for at that time of year. The hotel was spotless, room was fully updated, cozy fireplace, bed was the BEST... I slept better there than at home. The staff was extremely friendly and ever present for anything we needed, the amenities are many however the warm milk and cookies each night was the topper. We will absolutely be returning to this hotel very soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patty L
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Honestly, the interior of the Avalon Suite room was wonderful! At any other time, it probably would have been a dream place to relax & enjoy. If I had not just experienced it in the way I did, then I would probably have given the hotel a 5 rating.
But unfortunately, major construction right under our pretty-expensive room made the splurge not at all worth it! **
So the lesson they taught me...Any future hotel reservations I make, I will call with specific questions, such as "Is there be an construction/maintenance scheduled to go on during that time period (understandably, if something comes up at the last minute, I'd realize that emergency repairs would have to be made)?"
The plants in the atrium were gorgeous, the view from the lobby balcony was wonderful. The chocolate chip cookies in the evening were yummy. Too bad the stay in the room didn't make up for all of that.
** They offered to move us to one other room, not nearly as nice (didn't even have a shower), and there was construction going on under that room, as well.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cwh25
IslanderAvalon, Owner at Hotel Vista Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Mr and Mrs. Hanson,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Hotel Vista Del Mar.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the interior of the Avalon Suite, our beautiful lobby overlooking the ocean and our extensive amenities.

We are truly sorry that the construction interrupted with your overall enjoyment of our property. There is construction going on on the ground floor of the building that Hotel Vista Del Mar is located in. Since the hotel is located on the third floor, 99% of the time the construction does not interrupt our guests, or cause us any problems. Once we heard that it was interfering with your stay, we offered to move and upgrade you to our Ocean View Suite featuring a king size bed, private balcony overlooking Avalon Bay, double jetted jacuzzi tub, fireplace, HDV, DirecTV, DVD and Blu-Ray Player and a fully tiled walk-in shower. All of our rooms feature a full tiled shower. The room offered was on the adjacent side of the building to the construction, so we felt confident that this would improve your experience of the hotel and allow you to enjoy your stay. In addition, we cordinated with the construction workers to not carry out any future work until you were out of the room. Unfortunately you declined the room upgrade, so I am not sure what else we could have done to rectify the situation for you. We do pride ourselves on our customer service, location and amenities offered at our hotel and are truly disappointed that we fell short on your expectations.

Jerry Dunn