“Perfectly cooked meal”

Joe Caribe Bistro and Cafe
Ranked #9 of 172 Restaurants in Auburn
Price range: USD 10 - USD 20
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Joe Caribe serves light ethnic food at reasonable prices. Chicken Curry Burritos, Fish Tacos and Pork Mojo Sandwiches are some of the offerings. A nice short beer list includes Chimay on tap.
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

The Caribbean style food was delicious. I ordered salmon with mango salsa, black beans and rice. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is that the server let my water glass run dry and didn't come back to fill it until I was ready to leave.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

I have gotten shrimp tacos here a couple of times. The tacos are a huge portion and very filling and tasty.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We love this place. One of my favorites in Auburn. Fun Caribbean menu. Great ginger beer assortment. The best deal is the happy hour tacos. Pork or chicken with island slaw. Yum

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Had a meal for four, including two quite fussy teenagers. We all really enjoyed our meals; staff were attentive and helpful and knowledgeable about the food and drinks menus.
We would ALL happily go back

Reviewed 30 July 2017

This restaurant is located just off of Interstate 80. Handy for travelers going between the Bay Area and Reno/Tahoe. There are a number of decent restaurants on this stretch of road, but Joe Caribe is worth a stop if you are looking for something different.

Many of their entrees are Mexican-inspired, but with a Caribbean flare. Others, like the curry, are more Jamaican-style. The menu is somewhat limited, but the offerings are tasty.

On my first visit, I had a fish taco and a shrimp taco. I was a little disappointed with the flavor. Had my tastebuds ready for traditional flavors, and found the sauce/seasoning on these tacos just different enough to be off-putting. But others at our table loved their food. The pork tacos, in particular, were a hit. On my second visit, I had the chicken curry. You can get this in a burrito or in a bowl. I ordered the bowl, without a tortilla on the side. When it first arrived, I found myself wishing that I'd ordered the tortilla on the side, because the bowl seemed small. But as I dug in, I found that it was plenty of food. The curry was delicate with just a bit of heat. I enjoyed the meal. One of the folks in our group ordered the chile verde and said it was also very good.

The interior of the restaurant is dark, making it pleasant on a hot day. They have seating in the bar or dining room. We sat in the bar area on our first visit, but chose the dining room on our return visit, because the piped-in music wasn't as loud in the the dining room.

The service on our first trip was underwhelming. The waitress seemed aloof, and was not prompt in offering drink refills. Quite a contrast with our second trip. The waitress on our most recent visit was friendly and solicitous. Great service!

We'll definitely go back again when we are in the mood for something different.