“A Change of Pace”

Joe Caribe Bistro and Cafe
Ranked #10 of 172 Restaurants in Auburn
Price range: USD 10 - USD 20
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Joe Caribe serves light ethnic food at reasonable prices. Chicken Curry Burritos, Fish Tacos and Pork Mojo Sandwiches are some of the offerings. A nice short beer list includes Chimay on tap.
Reviewed 30 July 2017

This restaurant is located just off of Interstate 80. Handy for travelers going between the Bay Area and Reno/Tahoe. There are a number of decent restaurants on this stretch of road, but Joe Caribe is worth a stop if you are looking for something different.

Many of their entrees are Mexican-inspired, but with a Caribbean flare. Others, like the curry, are more Jamaican-style. The menu is somewhat limited, but the offerings are tasty.

On my first visit, I had a fish taco and a shrimp taco. I was a little disappointed with the flavor. Had my tastebuds ready for traditional flavors, and found the sauce/seasoning on these tacos just different enough to be off-putting. But others at our table loved their food. The pork tacos, in particular, were a hit. On my second visit, I had the chicken curry. You can get this in a burrito or in a bowl. I ordered the bowl, without a tortilla on the side. When it first arrived, I found myself wishing that I'd ordered the tortilla on the side, because the bowl seemed small. But as I dug in, I found that it was plenty of food. The curry was delicate with just a bit of heat. I enjoyed the meal. One of the folks in our group ordered the chile verde and said it was also very good.

The interior of the restaurant is dark, making it pleasant on a hot day. They have seating in the bar or dining room. We sat in the bar area on our first visit, but chose the dining room on our return visit, because the piped-in music wasn't as loud in the the dining room.

The service on our first trip was underwhelming. The waitress seemed aloof, and was not prompt in offering drink refills. Quite a contrast with our second trip. The waitress on our most recent visit was friendly and solicitous. Great service!

We'll definitely go back again when we are in the mood for something different.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

A variety of dishes, on the menu.. I like going at happy hour.. my favorite are the Pork or Chicken on fresh tortillas with a good chili salsa...
Lots of organic dishes... great beer selections..non alcoholic ginger beer is tasty! Servers are on it, at all times..
Right off Hwy 80 to or from Lake Tahoe..stop by and check it out!!!

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Discovered this little jewel next door to the hotel we stayed in. Arrived late in the evening and it was a quick and convenient choice. Good choice! Interesting blend of Caribbean and Mexican food choices. The Tomato-Curry Bisque had a nice "bite" to it but not overpowering with the spice. I had their Jambalaya (Andouille sausage, prawns and chicken with collard greens in a rich tomato broth. Served over Spanish rice with a side of buttermilk cornbread). Left satisfied with the experience. Will check this place out again on a future visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Great food! I had their house soup and it was just the right amount of spice and sweet, full of quinoa, potatoes, and chicken. We got an order of the cheese and spinach empanadas served with a side of sweet (mango?) salsa that was a perfect accompaniment. My husband got their pork tacos which he really enjoyed. We got the food to go so I can't speak to the restaurant itself or their table service but our food was ready fast!

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

A very bright and colorful setting with a nice eclectic selection of Caribbean themed dishes, Joe Caribe's is a good stop for a casual family gathering.