“good food, but uncompetetively expensive”

La RANA Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 86 Restaurants in Aliso Viejo
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 8 August 2014

LaRANA is a hole in the wall off Moulton in Aliso Viejo. The appearance is offputting, because it's in a grotty strip center and looks weird, unlike a restaurant.

I have tried various dishes with mixed results - the fish (farm raised) tasted muddy so I stopped requesting anything with fish in it. But the prices are out of line.

Yesterday we had a wet burrito, camarones combo (shrimp combo), and two DoSequis and the bill was $39.64 plus tip. They charged $1.50 for the usual corn chip served with the meal (that really annoys me).

I go here because I live close and my favorite Mexican restaurant closed due to renovation - but enough is enough. It's a hole in the wall and $7.50 for a glass of DoSequis and a couple of average plates is uncompetitive and too expensive for what it is. I can go to a top of the line Mexican restaurant and have better service, better presentation, and pay less than at LaRANA.

Frankly, I'm disappointed. But stuck next to a Pizza shop, and a Tae Kwon Do gym, and other general uses really puts the is place at a disadvantage. It's a family owned place, very small, noisy, if kids are with family the crying is amplified and annoying - the 'atmosphere' is 1 out 10. Prices 1 out of 10. Location 1 out of 10. Food is a 5 out of 10. They recently put plastic tablecloths on the tables (to cover the cheap tables) but that isn't worth paying a hefty price.

I won't go again.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The food from this mexican hole in the wall restaurant is great. There really is no place to sit down comfortably so we usually order take out. Give it a try.

1  Thank Stella E
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Great authentic Mexican food. They had a location in Lake Forest that I visited frequently. That location closed and I have only been to the other location a couple of times. I consider it a treat when I am able to get there.

1  Thank jen v