“Sushi Secret in the Bay”

Angelfish Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 282 Restaurants in Alameda
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I’ve been coming here for 8 years now and still it blows my mind! The owner Taka is just amazing. He won’t tell you his secret of where he gets his amazing fish but it is buttery, fresh and fresher than fresh. You can’t go wrong with any of the menu items and I’ve tried a helluva lot of em. Go for the Oshisushi which is a traditional blocked rice “roll” with salmon and marinated sea kelp... that’s my fave! Btw I was not a fish eater until I came here because I am super sensitive to the taste and smell... Did I mention how fresh it is?? ;)

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 13 December 2016

I am staying at a great Hampton Inn in Alameda near the Oakland Airport. There are no restaurants within walking distance, so the shuttle brings guests to local spots. Two were recommended: a Mexican restaurant and this one.

I chose Angelfish. I chose the wrong one.

The service is slow, inattentive and not knowledgeable about the menu. No one was at the front reception area when I walked in, so I waited for a while and then just sat myself at the sushi bar. I was ignored until I went over to a waitress and told her that I was there, at which point a menu was brought over.

I asked for water with lemon - I did not receive any lemon. My water glass was never refilled, even though the restaurant was 85% empty the entire time I was there.

I asked if there were any specials tonight and the server did not know - she did check, came back and recited a few, and then told me that all of the appetizers were the same.

As for the food itself, I'll start with the edamame appetizer for $3.60: overcooked and cold are the two key descriptions. Furthermore, it was brought out AFTER I received my sushi, so it was "out of order," so to speak.

I ordered three rolls: yellowtail with scallions, spicy salmon and salmon skin. I have never seen smaller rolls in diameter (less than an inch), and they were just six pieces. The salmon was a mashed up salmon rather than real salmon slices. The prices weren't bad - $4.75 or so - but the portions were so small that they weren't worth it. Given that I ordered three rolls, I would have expected enough pickled ginger to but a bit on each of the 18 pieces, but that was a very short portion, too.

For me, the restaurant had no redeeming qualities, although I guess the atmosphere was nice - but I went there for sushi, not for looks.

Overall, a BIG disappointment and a definite NEVER AGAIN.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

Best Japanese restaurant in Alameda. Whether it is lunch or dinner, sushi is made with fresh seafood. Noodle soup is good, and the garlic noodle dish is tasty. The homemade sushi rolls are large. Friendly service. Prices are moderate. Angelfish is next to the local coffee shop near Safeway. I always get the California crab roll.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

Good service, great food in a nice location. Staff is friendly and helpful. Always greeted right away even when busy. A good variety of food but not such a big menu that they do anything well. Just enough so that you can choose but they still can keep the quality.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Tekamaki, tuna roll, was very fresh and tasty. Miso soup was interesting and flavorful. A little more stock than I'm used to, but I really liked it. Edamame was made fresh, but it could have had a bit more salt.

Service was outstanding.