“Wow, Quality (Surprise) Dim Sum”

Pacific Lighthouse Restaurant
Ranked #95 of 281 Restaurants in Alameda
Reviewed 3 April 2017

I was first appalled at the prices. The small plates were $3.50, medium $5.50 and large $7.50. I got 4 plates totalling $28.00. I opened my bag and started tasting. Delicious, the quality was there. The shrimps in the Hagow was fresh and good sized, no fillers. The Sticky Rice has lots of meat and little rice. The price point was a bit taken back but you have the ocean view, everyone is dressed in suits, there are tanks of live lobster and fresh crabs. If you not mind paying for quality this is the place. Plus, its not crowded, thank God.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

Overall - I enjoyed this restaurant very much that I came here again for dinner. I haven't tried the dim sum hours so I am rating this not only on the food but also for other reasons.

Here are the reasosn -

It is a very large restaurant that can accommodate lots of people and slo large partys of 15 or more one a table.

The place is clean including the bathrooms.

The waiters in many cases were courteous and cordial

The parking is easy and there is no charge. Seems very safe to walk to your vehicle.

The menu is extensive and may seem pricey, but However, there are some dishes that are very tasty and excellent in levels of quaility.

Some choices I can think of now is the tea chicken (scrumptous) and the cold appetizer platter (great tasting pork), and fried garlic in tofu (wow). I have just given you a few out of many, but these were just some that stuck with me the last time I came here.

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

I had really high hopes for this place...especially considering I had been to this location years ago when it was a different establishment (Tide House Brewery) and knowing the potential it had because of the great view and ambiance of the location.

Unfortunately, an opportunity to be a premier location for dim sum was squandered, and came up short.

Poor service will hold back any business.

Our party of 5 arrived at 1100 and was promptly seated in an "interior" location, (that we knew was not readily accessible by the dim sum carts). With that said, I still had faith that the large number of "tactical hosts" (staff that seemed to be connected through ear pieces and 2 way radios) would be able to keep tabs on us...clearly NOT the case!

To the restaurant's credit, the place was almost full by 12:00, so there were a lot of patrons to be serviced. Unfortunately that is not an excuse for the lack of food selections created by the poor frequency in which the carts made it two us. 3 carts made it to us, but then again we had to flag down 2 of them out of our "perimeter!"

The dim sum itself was just okay. The "standards" (siu mai, har gow etc) were good, but not "screaming from the mountain top" great! Certainly not enough to endure poor service. Of the more traditional dim sum like beef tripe, pai kuat (steamed spare ribs), and fung zao (chicken feet), we only got to try the beef tripe...the other simply did not make it around to us in the 1.5 hrs we were there!

I'm hopeful that these are just the kinks being worked out of a new restaurant, and I do look forward to giving it another try, because let's face it...it's dim sum!

1  Thank Ernie C
Reviewed 26 October 2016

We were there for a birthday party. The waiter suggested a couple of dishes, clams with chives and fried fish filets that were special that night, those were the two dishes that the party liked the least. The chives were old and not tender. The fish was ok, but some pieces had bones. We had this dish with taro, bacon and pork that was a hit with everyone at the table. This is definitely a restaurant that one comes to for the seafood, unfuotunately some of the party had allergies to seafood. I understand that people had complained about lack of parking, but that is mainly during the dim sum lunch. Will have to go back and try the dim sum.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

This is a new restaurant in Alameda and we were excited to try. The service amazing the view is great, the food good and the prices reasonable. You have to try different items to find out what is your favorite.

1  Thank Juls822013

Been to Pacific Lighthouse Restaurant? Share your experiences!