“Great sushi but pricey”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 20 August 2016

I've been hearing about Yume for some time and finally got a chance to dine at this restaurant. To secure a seating, we have a friend, who went there around noon time to secure 4 seats for a 7 pm seating. The restaurant only seats 8 at each seating. Once seated, there was a sign behind the sushi bar that read no pictures are allowed inside. Hideki was first up on preparing the sushi and his mastery of using the knife was impeccable. Midway thru the course, they changed chefs and we ended up with 13 pieces. The use of different ingredients on top of the sushi was excellent. The sushi from Yume was some of the bests I've tasted in the Bay Area but I found it pretty pricey. With a beer, tax, and tip, it was over $100.

Reviewed 15 December 2015

To all the sycophantic Yume junkies who think this is the ultimate Japanese sushi dining experience, the truth is that this place would not survive in Japan. It's not that the sushi is not divine--it is! And it's not that Hideki is not a master craftsman behind the sushi bar, with a good sense of humor and an eclectic taste in music. He is all of these things! The reason Yume would not survive in Japan is because of the sheer rudeness and complete lack of class displayed by Hideki's wife.

And before any of you try to go native on me, here's the deal: My father was born in Kobe and raised in Yokohama. And I lived in Tokyo for several years. So I think I know what I'm talking about when I say that no people take customer service more seriously, and more to heart than the Japanese. And so, no matter how delicious the sushi might be, Yume would not survive in Japan, because the Japanese people would have no tolerance for that kind of behavior. None whatsoever. End of story.

Reviewed 3 July 2015

The restaurant only serves 8 guests per seating, 5pm, 7.30pm and 9.30pm. For the 5pm, you have to start queuing at 4pm already. No reservation policy. However, once you sink your teeth into the first bite, you feel that it was well worth the wait. It is that good. The fish is the freshest you can get. It is not a restaurant you go to catch up with friends. The chefs need to be entertained.

Reviewed 8 November 2014

If there is 10 star I would give 10 stars.

CAUTION: after Yume you will never look at sashimi the same way anymore, and is hard to enjoy sashimi at any other places.

Not like some other expensive or fancy restaurant you pay extra for the experience or the amenity, at Yume every dollar goes into the food and the you can taste the process of how much detail work put into each slice before ends up in your mouth.

A small family run place, they have the passion and care about customer's each bite unlike any other places.

Experience is A+
Food quality A+
Price is reasonable for such amazing food art. we had double order of toro and eel, and reorder of the fluke, and sake. $300 after 25% tips.

This is like trying A5 wagyu, I can't imagine how much better this could be over the top ribeyes, but once you had a bite, it opens up another level greatness!

The tuna, and salmon I couldn't imagine how much better could it be compare to many other fresh sashimi places, and after yesterday I don't think I can eat cheap sashimi anymore....

For those who said this is not the best sushi in the bay I disagree, I'm can say I tried so many places not just in the bay including vegas and east coast, the other top sashimi can't even come close.

1  Thank stephen s
Reviewed 5 September 2014

I love the sushi here. I always order "all fish" (no shells, just fish). One major change on policy: No more minimum # of headcount. They will accommodate a maximum of 8 (since there's only 8 seating capacity in the bar). Yay! It's a 50/50 chef work between Hideki-san his son Andrew/Tsuyoshi-san.

Yoriko-san continues to be Ms Manner of the house.

ALWAYS an unforgettable experience. SUPERB sushi. LOVE IT!

I will go back again, for sure!