“Amazing!”

Szechuan Place
Ranked #61 of 96 Restaurants in Agoura Hills
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 23 February 2015 via mobile

I have dreams about the food here! Don't order off the American menu, use the Chinese menu with the sharpied-in English translation. Hot dry beef, the garlic eggplant (my fav), and the homestyle pork. Always served with plenty of rice, and portions big enough to share or make a second meal out of. Any time we pass through on our way to Long Beach we make a stop for authentic Szechuan food and friendly service.

1  Thank Leigh L

Reviewed 16 November 2014

This place is just a hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall off Kanan Road, the food was good, but a little spicy even when requesting it mild. The service was friendly and attentive. There are about five booths and that is about it. Seriously, you should order one dish and split it as the portions are large. I see all the ratings are five star and even though the food was good, it was not a five star restaurant. Giving it four stars is very generous, I believe.

1  Thank ZumaDawg
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I don't usually give 5 stars for a hole in the wall restaurant, but there finally is a real Chinese restaurant near the valley that is worth visiting.
They really provide authentic Szechuan food!!!
I have tried a myriad of restaurants in and around the valley and never return To get a decent (not necessarily great Chinese meal), I had to drive 30-40 miles. Not anymore.
This is a find.
There are two menus, an American menu with good offerings and a Chinese menu.
Stick with the Chinese menu and ask for help if you don't understand the dishes.
We tried several dishes on the Chinese menu and they exceeded expectations.
The hot pot was outstanding, but beware that Szechuan food can be extremely spicy as many dishes incorporate chili peppers. If you can't take the heat, tell them when you order. The honey walnut shrimp was a mild dish that was exceptional. The hot and sour soup was quite good, better than in most of the restaurants that I have tried.
Good authentic Chinese food is my favorite cuisine but it is hard to find. I learned how to cook this food when working in Taiwan (from a top notch chef). Most restaurants serve an Americanized version of most dishes - perhaps the general public likes these but not me--much of the Chinese food in the valley is a poor imitation of food -- not so here. Perhaps there are some restaurants that I haven't tried that are good, but I haven't found them, even after consulting the food editors of the area newspapers and knowledgeable diners..
Prices are reasonable and portions are large.

2  Thank Mtiques
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

There is no Chinese restaurant of this caliber anywhere near this place. The food is spectacular. If you want interesting Asian food and not just your run-of-the-mill dishes with numbers beside them
questions, this is the place. It is more expensive than other local Chinese restaurants but it is well worth paying more for such good food.

1  Thank rlip
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We just went here this past week and was impressed with the tastiness and flavorful food. It was in the Vons plaza in the corner. It took us quite awhile to find it, but we were able to. We will come here again. Excellent service.

1  Thank tofuyan