“Check your bill!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
“Check your bill!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

This hotel would have gotten a full 5 from me if it wasn't for the experience I had at the end. We went to the Hay-Adams to celebrate a big birthday for my husband, so we wanted to "do it up" a little. I booked a room for $349/night. The hotel did not disappoint. It was beautiful and spotlessly clean, in an excellent location. Our room was upgraded to a studio, nice but no view, which was too bad, since the hotel is situated in a spot with a lot of good views.The service was some of the most impeccable I've ever had. The staff was promptly responsive to every little request. And we were pleasantly surprised the first evening when an absolutely delicious birthday cake was left in the room for my husband. Although we only had one meal at the hotel, we found the food to be excellent, which is a difficult compliment to get from me as my husband and I are big foodies who feel few restaurants can outdo our own cooking. Even as we were leaving and the hotel pulled our car around, they left a departing gift of a package of cookies in the car.
The experience that sort of took me aback with the hotel was upon checkout. As I looked over the bill, I began to see mistake after mistake. They charged us for 5 items from the in-room refreshment center, which, at $9/candy bar and $19 for a box of caramels x2, added up to around $50. It turns out all of the items in the refreshment center have a sensor in them, so if you even touch them, you are billed for them. Then I noticed I was charged for the upgrade the hotel had given me, so they were charging me $549 per night for the room, $200 over the price I'd booked for! Then I noticed a meal charged to our bill we hadn't had, another $50 or so. All in all, it was over $500 worth of incorrect charges! That really left me with an unpleasant taste in my mouth and I wondered how many folks just sort of blindly paid their bills without looking them over and got ripped off. It's a lesson for all. . .check those bills right down to the penny.

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mary Jo M
Michelle M, Front Office Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at The Hay-Adams.
My apologies for the inconvenience upon departure. We clearly made a mistake at check out and please accept my sincerely apologies. I will address this with the appropriate department head to prevent a future reoccurrence.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hay-Adams in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Visiting Washington DC with my 17 year old son, I wondered where to stay, I chose here and the hotel has spoilt me (us) for the future. It was wonderful. From opening the doors and walking in, to the delightful and extremely comfortable room, to the superb restaurant, to the brilliant staff, I can't possibly find fault. As everyone else said it's in a brilliant location, how wonderful to see the White House so close. Its also close to everywhere else you could wish to visit. My son is a picky eater yet the dining staff made great suggestions to him and he ate well all the time.
We had such a good time and I've no doubt we'll be going again. I'd thoroughly recommend tis hotel. Its very special and long may it stay like this.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room with a view, you may get one of the White House.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

August, very hot... I go out for a run, come back covered in sweat. I was embarassed to go through the front door. When they see me coming they rush inside and come back out to greet me with a fresh towel and a bottle of cold water.

The hotel is impecable, the staff couldn't be better, the breakfast 10/10 points, the rooms perfect. Some rooms are a bit smallish, that would be the only negative thing. Oh, and the fact that it doesn't have a gym (although they hook you up with one a couple of blocks away).

Perfectly situated both for tourism and business.

Nicely done, Mr Adams

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Took a short trip to Washington DC for 17yr old son's Spring Break. Arrived Easter Sunday evening and checked into our 1 bedroom suite overlooking St Johns Church, the "Presidents Church". Check in was easy taken care of by the multinational Front Desk personal. The location cannot be surpassed as it is right across the street from Lafayette Square which borders The White House. Lovely large living room (son slept on pullout although he could have slept on a roll-away) and bedroom with all the attention to detail you would expect in a luxury hotel. Both rooms were appointed with a French flavor. The bathroom was very pretty with separate shower and tub, large marble slab vanity with 2 sinks and a high tech toilet with all the amenities. The concierge was helpful, friendly and pleasant.

Be sure and have a drink or snack in the "Off the Record" bar. The walls are covered with wonderful caricatures of current and past political heavy weights and the food and drink (try the Sidecar) are quite good. We had breakfast in the Lafayette dinning room every day, quite pricey but good and the coffee is really hot, the way I like it. My husband used the small exercise room which was more than adequate.

I do have one con...our room was on the 5th floor and as I said, a view of St John's Church. The street noise (we had a symphony of garbage trucks Monday morning) as well as the taxi whistles of the doorman are easily heard even after 11pm. I don't know if anything can be done but thought people should know. My son and I travel with small Vornado fans (yep, weird) and they helped to mostly drown out the noise. So travel with a fan (the hotel has fans as well) or get a room that doesn't have a view of the White House or church. We had another son come in for the night and he stayed in a room tucked back in the hotel and had no street noise.

Even with the noise I would no question stay again. Wonderful, wonderful hotel. Oh, this is the hotel where Pres. Obama and family stayed before his inauguration so this historical hotel has some pretty good recent history to brag about as well.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Baltotrav2
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I had a hard time deciding where to stay for our family trip to D.C. Wow it was the right choice for us. When the bell man opened the door to our suite and we looked out the window our jaws dropped. We were sending pictures of our view to everyone. Our suite was large with a big sitting area, comfortable bed and great amenities It was also the only hotel in this part of DC that would guarantee us an adjoining room for the kids. The concierge had wonderful ideas for us and arranged a great itinerary for us with the kids. His dinner recommendations were also great. Had we just gotten the one small room without the suite view, we would not have been as impressed, but the service may have made up for that. This is a historic hotel in a great location. My son still talks about the wonderful breakfast in the hotel. We walked everywhere except to dinner on a couple of nights. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your complimentary words regarding your stay at The Hay-Adams.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the view of the suite and the amenities. I will certainly share your thoughts with our staff as well, especially the bellmen and concierge who will be encouraged by your remarks.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hay-Adams in the future!