“A very good choice for your stay in DC”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Somerville, Massachusetts
“A very good choice for your stay in DC”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Great location and clean, spacious rooms at the Madera. Pair that with a wine happy hour, quality scene in the restaurant (Firefly), and smiles from every member of staff, and you have a solid place to stay. Stay on the back if you want quiet and a killer view of the city or the front if you want bigger rooms and a great street-scape. We were charged for internet that we didn't use, but it was kindly and swiftly removed from our bill - proof that guests come first here. Being represented by a company with its values in-check means I'll come back to this and other Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cblukens
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for the review cblukens! It sounds like you had an enjoyable visit to the Madera. My apologies for the billing error but I am happy to read it was resolved quickly. We would love to have you back at the Madera and all Kimpton hotels. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 28 February 2012

In the interest of full disclosure, I got a great rate from a web service (and not by gambling on an unnamed hotel), with opportunity to cancel the reservation. I may therefore be prone to generosity, in the sense that I wasn't bothered by the fact that they were renovating the front desk and lobby over my visit. We had to enter the hotel through the restaurant (Firefly) and there was just a tiny podium where the service personnel checked us in and handled our needs. This might have bothered me if I was paying full rate. In any case, this was my first Kimpton experience and won't be my last, I'm sure. Madera satisfied the basic needs very well (good night's sleep, hot shower, clean room), but also has these small touches that are appreciated. For instance, on one cold blustery DC day, they had hot cider, spiced or spiked with bourbon, waiting for us by the front desk. A free glass of wine each evening. A coupon for some freebies from the mini-bar. I happened to get a room that magically had a recumbent bike with its own wall-mounted LCD TV. How did they know I like to do 15 miles on the bike now and then? :) The service staff were very friendly and responsive to questions; my request for a quiet room was taken seriously, and the room fit the bill. In short, this is a first-class operation. Finally, Madera is run by the same company that run the highly-rated Palomar nearby. If you're weighing the two, Madera is a smaller hotel in a quieter location; its restaurant seems to be a bit more highly-rated. Palomar is closer to where the action is in Dupont Circle, and they have a large, fabulous lobby (don't know about their rooms...).

Room Tip: If you want quiet, probably want to be away from the elevator. Just ask.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bfly1
Hello bfly1, I am so happy to read that your visit will not be your last to Madera and Kimpton Hotels! Even with your visit during the renovation, I am glad to read the little touches of service and amenities still made you feel comfortable and at home. We want you to visit soon since the Lobby is now complete! Thanks again and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed here for a weekend getaway to DC. On the way there we called and asked if there was a room available if we were to begin our stay a day earlier, Thursday. There was and they even upgraded us to a cardio room. We were excited because there is no fitness cenetr at this location, you have to walk to the Palomar 3 blocks away. I get up early (4:30) and didn't want to be walking around at that time of morning so this was perfect.
I requested a room on an upper floor and we got one on the 8th, though it is on the side of the hotel not overlooking New Hampshire it still had continual noise from the elevator running up and down all night. It didn't bother my husband, but I am a light sleeper so I was aware of it.
The room was very clean, large TV that you can see from cardio equipment area. The room had a workdesk with power strip for charging phones, laptops, etc. No problem with additional outlets throughout. The vanity is outside the bathroom, not much space for storing toiletries, but the closet is adjacent so we used the shelf in there and that worked well.
The lobby was undergoing renovation so we took the evening wine to our room and enjoyed that while we planned the evening plans.
There is an illy cafe 2 blocks away, at the Renaissance and we would go there for our espresso, though Madera offers coffee and tea to it's guests in the morning. We had breakfast at Teaism on the first morning, delicious scrambled eggs with cilantro and ginger and also the oatmeal. The following mornings we ate at Le Pain Quotidien, my husband got an omelette one morning that was wonderful and served with some of their hearth baked bread and a small salad. They also have wonderful organic jams on the tables and various belgian spread (chocolate, hazelnut).
Should also mention Filter for espresso, the best in Dupont Circle, just a bit further away and opens later than illy. But Filter is the best we had in D.C.
The restaurant in the hotel looked good and certianly would get busy in the late morning and the evening but we wanted to try some other spots. There are a lot to choose from within walking distance. Must try Levantes for their Turkish pide, similar to a flatbread, baked in a wood fired oven. And the warm bread they bring to the table from that same oven is delicious.
Customer service is stellar at the hotel. They must have a wonderful training program for their employees. Everyone knows Disney is reknowned for service, but Kimpton has right to brag in that regard as well. Every person was lovely, and genuinely seemed to care that your stay was the best it could be. Fernando who works in the front (bags, valet, many tasks!) is a sweetheart. He gave us a warm welcome, was a pleasure to talk to when we returned each day, and gave us an equally warm send off--even a hug goodbye! Atilla was familiar with the route we needed to go home and stopped us as we were leaving to review our directions and be sure we were on the right course. We will be back here and to other Kimpton Hotels!
I didn't give it 5 stars only because there was no place to gather with the lobby being renovated. Probably could have in the restaurant but I didn't want to take a table when I wasn't dining.

Room Tip: Farther away from an elevator if you are a light sleeper. Cardio rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanderful007
Dear wanderful007, what a great review! Your local restaurant suggestions are great! I am so happy your interactions with our Staff, especially Fernando and Attila were warm and genuine. They are 2 stars on our Staff and definately try to make every Guest feel welcome. I thank you for your patience during the renovation, we hope to see you again so you can epxerience the new lobby. Thank you again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I visited over a weekend. Walked in to a lobby that was being renovated. The hotel immediately felt very small to me. A hotel staff member greeted me and offered me a glass of wine while I waited in line to be checked in. Was given a corner room on a high floor, which I had requested and was thrilled to get. The room itself was quite nice - comfy King Sized bed, funky decor and a nice view. The shower/toilet was tiny but I liked that the vanity and sink are in a separate area.

This is the sixth Kimpton hotel I've stayed in and this was the first time I've been disappointed. However, even this hotel is 100 times nicer than other hotel chains I've stayed in. The service is Kimpton quality - outstanding, which is why I will be a life long fan.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Nessa_97
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Nessa_97, thank you so much for visiting. Yes, we are currently undergoing a lobby renovation. We are definately updating the look and feel of the Hotel. We are smaller than most Hotels, but this allows us to provide a personalized service that it seems you felt. Thank you for being such a Kimpton fan and thanks again for the review, Modi Ahmed General Manager
San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Spain
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Okay - the lobby is small and the bathrooms are a bit old fashioned - but the staff is so genuinely friendly, the rooms so comfortable, and the location so convenient, I can´t imagine a better place to stay in Washington.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello Rickgum, thanks for your review! Yes, the lobby is small, but we prefer cozy. This allows us to provide a genuine, and warm personal service to all of our Guests. Which it looks like you got to experience. Thank you again, and we can't wait for your next visit. Modi Ahmed General Manager