“Great location, not amazing service”

Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters
Ranked #104 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Southwest, va
“Great location, not amazing service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel was chosen for me after their sister hotel was overbooked and they sent me here (with no prior notice and at 11pm at night) I had a confirmed reservation, so this did not sit well with me. It took me 15 to get from one hotel to this hotel because of DC traffic and one way streets and also bad directions.

I arrived at the hotel late at night and was quickly annoyed at the disorganized front desk staff. They wanted me to repay for my prepaid room, they couldn't figure out how to charge parking and internet to the corporate account I had (that should have been allowed to be charged to) and they were quite annoyed at my questions about coffee, parking and locations.

I finally got up to my room and it is quite large. Easily twice the size of a normal room in that area of DC. The furnishings were nice. Everything was pretty clean. The room late out was very odd and the bathroom sliding door was pretty annoying. The TV was an old tube style and some of the linens were somewhat dated.

The temperature issue was the most annoying. It was too hot in the room all night and I could not get it to cool down. I would have pushed the issue with the staff if it wasn't already so late, but made for a restless night sleep.

I had to leave for my meeting pretty early, so all said and done it was less than 12 hours in the hotel. It was OK for price and location.

1 Thank javabuz
Hectortorres, Guest Relations Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I wanted to personally convey to you my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your last visit with us.

We take our guest comment very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable accommodations. I am very remorseful that you received a reaction that was amazing and I regret any frustration that your experience caused you.

Your feedback has been shared with our entire team and the necessary steps have been taken to prevent future recurrence. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that we appreciate your feedback. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and replace a negative first impression with a more positive one. We look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Magnolia, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Selected this hotel due to location and price (considerably less than nearby hotels). Hotel lobby and guest elevators are rather small and somewhat dingy. Stayed in a standard room with King bed, which was not spacious but big enough. Bathroom was small and cramped. The weather was unusually mild for February in DC, and the room was a little hot when I arrived. Turned on the "AC" but the hotel's master system apparently was still set to heat because the "AC" only made the room warmer. Turned it off; had to open/close the window to control room temperature. Another inconvenience was that the only "unoccupied" electrical outlet (where you could plug something in without unplugging something else) was in the bathroom. There is a very small business center in the basement with a few computers. The restaurant connected to the hotel is actually pretty good, especially for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for staying at the Beacon Hotel for your recent visit to Washington, DC. We would like to express sincere appreciation to you for providing us your constructive feedback. We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

For the price I paid i was very pleased with the room. The decor and furnishing were very nice. Bed was very comfortable. Location was great and only a short walk to the closest metro. I had to up the heat in the room because there was a significant draft that was blowing cold air into the room. I had to plug up the window sill with a towel. Hector at the front desk on 2/19/12 was very helpful and went out of his way to make my stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room that faces Rhode Island St. There is construction across the street from th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
We would like to convey our sincere gratitude to you for taking the time to share with everyone how much you enjoyed the Beacon Hotel. It is always excellent to know that guests realize the hard work of the staff. Hector is really humbled by your kind appraisal and wants to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at the Beacon Hotel for one night in D.C. The location is convenient, and we chose to stay here based on the family value package that we purchased through the Beacon's own website.

Check in was easy, but valet parking is the only parking option, which will cost you about $33/night. Our room was adequate on the 5th floor, but the bathroom was rather small. The toiletries were not impressive -- one unmarked container of shampoo, and another container of lotion. No conditioner, but there were plenty of towels and two bars of soap. Our room was also directly across the street from construction, which started around 6am and was fairly disruptive.

We did have some issues. First, we had to ASK and make sure that we received all of the discount from the family value package that we purchased. The staff had to "look into" each and every one of the discounts to ensure we were correct, including discounts on meals, half off on parking, and the free bottle of champagne we were to receive. Everything was a bigger deal than it needed to be. We found out at checkout that a lot of specials had been added, but the employees had not been informed and kept up to date of these changes.

We also had issues with the TV in our room. It stopped working while changing the channels, and was not able to be turned on or off. The front desk did send someone up to repair it relatively quickly, and then we had no further issues.

The meals were pretty expensive, but that may just be the norm for D.C., but both my husband and I had some stomach issues following the meals that we ate at the Beacon restaurant. We had no issues from the lunch that we ate outside of the hotel, so we are accrediting our issues to the hotel's food.

Overall, the room itself was decent, seemed to be pretty clean, and although the bathroom was small, it was fine. Our main issues were with customer service/communication and the food. If you are looking for an inexpensive room for one night, this hotel will suffice, but I would definitely recommend looking elsewhere for better service with comparable prices, and be wary of the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim W
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the Beacon for one night while in D.C. on business. The hotel is conveniently located just a few blocks from the Metro, so I walked there from my Metro stop in the middle of the day. There were numerous homeless people on the street, and I felt somewhat uncomfortable walking by myself, even in broad daylight. Checkin was easy and fast; the staff was extremely personable and quick. The room was not fancy, but fine other than the big wet spot in the middle of the bathroom floor that I stepped in shortly after arriving. The toiletries were not very high quality. The street in front of the hotel is not particularly busy, and my room was very quiet. I ate breakfast in the restaurant the next morning, and the food was fine - not fabulous, but very satisfactory. Checkout was again fast and easy, with the same very personable staff member checking me out as checked me in. All in all, this was a decent hotel choice, particularly for the price, but not particularly luxurious and not somewhere I would want to stay for more than one night.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
The comments of NashJD are greatly appreciated and we hope that they will come back soon.